Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Sapphire (2WD) problems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:40 AM
forwd
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sapphire (2WD) problems!!!!!

Hi lads, im new to this! im after buying my first ford sierra, its a 2.0 DOHC sapphire nice clean shell and interior. got a few problems with it, hope ye can help me!

1. car isnt idleing perfect.
(iv changed oil, oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, cleaned the Idle speed control valve and still no perfect)

2. some times the car dies when u put down the accelerator.
(iv played around with the Throttle position sensor but dont really know what im at)

3. no indicators are working in the car.
(iv checked bulbs and fuses, i changed the flasher unit and now the hazard lights work but still no indicators, maybe the switch??)

4. speedometer, rpm , fuel and temp dont work on dash but dose light up.
(these all did work before and still work no and then)

iv also noticed that that my reverse light doset work any more and a full light has stopped working. please tell me theres a simple solution or common problem. i really hope the car isnt wired backwards!

Any help welcome, and thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 PM
forwd
Virgin

bump
Old 03-07-2011, 04:53 PM
chrisa3
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe an earth problem?? Check and clean all the earths on the battery tray, gearbox, intake manifold and behind/below both headlights.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 check for air leaks, check CO, 2 how old is the fuel filter ?, 3 check for power at the stalk, this comes from the flasher unit, and when indicators are selected gets diverted to that sides indicators, may just be a break in the wire between relay and switch, 4 I thought your speedo was mechanical not electric in which case it is a seperate problem, the tacho fuel temp not working sound as though there is a live missing, check for corrosion on the connector block on rear of clocks and for a broken track.
For good measure check all your fuses anyway.
tabetha
Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 PM
forwd
Virgin

thanks chrisa3 il check that now!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:18 PM
forwd
Virgin

thanks tabetha il check all that now, will keep me busy thanks again!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

You should have checked fuse 22? This is a 10A fuse and supplies the power to the whole dash, not so much the fuse but check the actual terminals, these are prone to corroding, so just need cleaning with some emery cloth, you should also have no warning lights? Be careful as this prevents the charging system from functioning!

As to the indicators again check fuse 20 terminals are good (15A) this protects the indicator and reversing lights, so would explain why you have neither! The hazards have an independant feed protected by fuse 12 (10A) for reference so explains why you have these and not indicators

If no joy check at least one of the terminals has +12V, if so then you have a break in the wiring, but I can almost gurantee it will be caused by the likes above!

As to the running issues, sounds like it's a fuelling problem, so first thing I would do is check the CO.

Martin