Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Missfire just got stranger.

Search this Thread

Old 25-06-2011, 02:23 PM
sierrsteve1980
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Missfire just got stranger.

As i have only ever noticed the missfire in first and second gear, cause from after that i never put my foot down cause i realised i hadn't solved the problem.

Today on taking it over to the garage a plonker in a 200sx tryed it on so i thought sod it let him have it. Started to pull on him in third then i realised there was no missfire, into fourth and still no missfire.

So i only have a missfire in first and second but not in any other gears, does anyone have a idea as to why this is.

Is this the point where i need to go coil packs? I would not mind but i like older style ignition systems.
Old 25-06-2011, 05:47 PM
kosienutter
Last Time, Get Off PF FFS

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

As the torque feels less the higher the gear you in i.e Back into your seat maybe you fuel tanks swirl pot is not getting enough fuel in it in 1st and 2nd because of the amount of g. In 3rd 4th 5th etc it's more smooth if you catch my drift. This is based on how much fuel is in the tank mind. If it's above 1/4 full and you have misfires still Im stumped as to what else it could be. Think I'm right on that lol.
Old 25-06-2011, 06:36 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

It's certainly true some tanks are more prone to surge, at different fuel levels to others, does it do it with a full tank ?, if it's only below a certain level you have your answer.
Coil pack is vastly over rated, cars have been racing on old fashioned "clockwork" ignition for longer than coil packs have existed, one of the main reasons imo as to why CP seems so good on cossies is the ultra shit std coil fitted by ford, loads of people using more powerful coils to avoid spark blow out with great results, at around 1/10 the cost of a CP conversion from msd.
I wouldn't go pushing your cart too far until you know it is running 100% spot on afr wise under boost, it's highly embarrassing as well as costly sitting up the road with a melted piston while some rice rocket goes past laughing at you!!
tabetha
tabetha
Old 25-06-2011, 06:52 PM
sierrsteve1980
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Lol that would be the last thing i would want, i normally never let it get below quarter of a tank but it was today.

Yeah i have to admit i pushed it the hardest i have ever pushed it before. Hopefully the guy at veysport should be able to sort the miss out and the other few issues i have given him.

Thanks for the response guys.
Old 25-06-2011, 09:20 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

mines doing pretty much the same shit dude. im fitting a group a coil and new ht leads at end of month as its still on originals lol! though mine still misfires in 3rd and 4th but not as bad as second! it seems to misfire just over 5 grand on full chat but will break through it.ill let you know how i get on!
Old 26-06-2011, 03:18 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

I know when I got my cossie and went through the whole car with a fine tooth comb, when I re gapped the plugs to the 1.0mm a stated on the sticker, it wouldn't even start with the std ford coil, I assume this is the original 18 year old one, so put on a group a one, though the std one was fine at 0.5mm.
tabetha