Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

ABS sensor on sapphire cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 18-06-2011, 12:57 PM
cossiedad
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS sensor on sapphire cosworth

I have a 2wd sapphire and have a suspected faulty sensor as light stays on permanantly. Are the sensors the same as a 4wd or any other vehicle?

cheeRS
Old 18-06-2011, 01:16 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

The 4x4 ABS is different but I think the sensors are the same. But the 2WD is EXACTLY the same as any other model equipped with ABS. As are Granadas as they use the same system.

Martin
Old 18-06-2011, 01:18 PM
RS500/364
BANNED
BANNED

front and rear are dif and there are loads of that sort of year fords use the same type of sensor
Old 18-06-2011, 01:24 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's very simple to test the sensor btw, you just need to measure the resistance at the coax connector, each one should read 1K+ resistance, I presume you have tried cleaning them and the ring gear's teeth?

Martin
Old 18-06-2011, 01:55 PM
cossiedad

Reason I am asking is mine has just failed MOT. ABS light on permanently was one fail, and also for no brake servo assistance to the brake pedal. Brakes are fine and are very good ie balance and efficiency. When ignition is turned on the pump primes, and when pedal is pressed it stays where it is ie doesn't go to the floor.

Any ideas?
Old 18-06-2011, 02:29 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope it didn't fail for lack of servo assistance as there is NO SERVO, and so it can't fail for something not fitted not working!!
The pump supplies the pressure or rather assistance that a normal servo would, and so servo check is NOT applicable to this car.
I would first de rust the abs rings, rust builds up and if it can't detect each and every tooth cleanly it will put the abs light on.
I have the same problem, I actually ground and filed two teeth on a rear ring for this very reason as rust had got to it badly.
Any sensor of the correct type and value can be used if you can make it fit somewhere to read the ring.
I don't know how bothered you are about abs, but if you remove all traces of the abs it will pass the mot as it's not a requirement of the mot test, just a requirement that where fitted it works.
tabetha
Old 18-06-2011, 03:11 PM
cossiedad

To quote it says "Brake pedal has no servo assistance". ABS light is on all the time, which it wasn't when I drove it there but is now.
As some of you may know, this is a fresh rebuild so ABS sensors were only fitted by myself about 2 months ago so not rusted.
Old 18-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Check the rear sensors 9times out of 10 the plastic part of the sensor will be cracked causing water to of got in and nacked the sensor. If you get a abs sensor and just go round the car and plug it into the abs sensor connectors one at a time and turn the ignition on. If the light goes out when your new sensor is pluged in you will know which one is at fault. if you lived closer i would of come round to help you.
Old 18-06-2011, 05:01 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As said there isn't a conventional servo so they need to go back to school if thats what they are looking for, the pump is what gives the "Servo assistance" so to speak and you would know if this wasen't working as it's akin to driving with no servo on a normal setup!

As I say it's very simple to check the sensors as I have explained by measuring the resistance and this is the first place I would be starting.

Eliminate this first as 99% of the time the problem lies with the sensors.

Martin
Old 18-06-2011, 05:13 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not so much go back to school, it's do the test the way it is LEGALLY required for the car in question, the usual way they check the servo is to deplete the vacuum in the servo and hold their foot on the brake pedal whilst starting where upon it will sink slightly when started, of course this doesn't apply, and they cannot legally fail a car for a item not working that isn't fitted, it's akin to failing a car for no seat belts that doesn't need them!!
In any event take the car back once sorted, but point out you expect a free retest as the first test was not done to the standards it should have been, they have no excuse, they have all the info at their disposal, inc the abs test light procedure, I've seen a tester fail a cossie as the light was on for 10 secs after depleting pressure, even though they are allowed 30, mind you I've also seen failures for spare wheels bald, which aren't part of the test!!
tabetha