Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Fuel Pump Rewire

Search this Thread

Old 27-05-2011, 05:13 PM
chrisa3
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Rewire

Thought my pump had seized so took the opportunity to buy a 044 pump and MSD loom. Fitted today with new loom and old pump + used for trigger on new loom. When i turn ignition on, I get 1 second apporx of pump prime and then nothing. Put a volt meter on it and getting 8v for a second then 0v.

I assumed the new loom with its own relay would do away with the old relay, but im thinking the problem must be with the old relay as its still been used to trigger the new one?

Is the OE pump relay the purple one under passenger dash and 30amp fuse?

Any advice??
Old 27-05-2011, 06:15 PM
cossie891
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pump will only prime if u switch the ignition on

You are using the old relay to switch the new 1 so you get the best feed for the pump if that akes sence

Some 1 will be along shortly o explain better lol
Old 27-05-2011, 06:24 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Shouldn't you remove standard relay and trigger new relay from trigger feed to old relay?
Old 27-05-2011, 06:44 PM
scoobydooby914
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

No the existing pump wiring becomes the switch feed for your new loom so if you take the old relay out you'll have no feed to the old wiring. Have you tried starting it as the pump will only prime to pressurise the system
Old 27-05-2011, 08:09 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by scoobydooby914
No the existing pump wiring becomes the switch feed for your new loom so if you take the old relay out you'll have no feed to the old wiring. Have you tried starting it as the pump will only prime to pressurise the system
It only primes for less than a second. Its basically doing axactly the same as the other pump and loom. I took the feed pipe off the fuel rail and turned the iginition (with the old pump and oe loom), it got a squirt of petrol for 1 second then nothing.

Does anyone know which relay is for the fuel pump on a 2wd saff??
Old 27-05-2011, 08:56 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

The standard relay is yellow, it is only supposted to prime for a short while, it's is only when the engine is running does the pump run continiously.

Clearly you are getting power there albeit a bit low perhaps, so the relay is ok in theory, have you checked the earth?

If it were me personally I would only want one relay so akin to the original setup, I really can't the point in having 2 relays.

Martin
Old 27-05-2011, 09:11 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by martysmartie
The standard relay is yellow, it is only supposted to prime for a short while, it's is only when the engine is running does the pump run continiously.

Clearly you are getting power there albeit a bit low perhaps, so the relay is ok in theory, have you checked the earth?

If it were me personally I would only want one relay so akin to the original setup, I really can't the point in having 2 relays.

Martin
Its an MSD loom. I thought it strange the ways its wired, As I was expecting it to remove the original relay. Although, isnt the OE relay used for something else on the car ICV or something.

The new loom is earthed from the battery. I found the OE relay, and its only got a 20amp fuse in it, its not popped but thought it was supposed to be 30amp.

Im nipping over to see Gordon Scott this weekend to try a different relay.
Old 28-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

What EXACTLY is the problem you are trying to eliminate here?
Old 28-05-2011, 11:20 AM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
What EXACTLY is the problem you are trying to eliminate here?
Trying to get the car to start and the pump to work. Not getting any pressure at the fuel rail (just slight splurt of fuel). Im going to try a ew relay this afternoon, after that im struggling.
Old 28-05-2011, 12:45 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As martysmartie said have you checked the earths , if your getting 8V you know its working albeit a bit low . The information you have put is a bit lacking in terms of fuel pressure etc , have you tried to start the car at all? The prime will only be a short period and yes the O.E fuel relay feeds the amal valve and idle valve aswell as the pump. It should work fine using the oe setup to trigger your new relay. If not then check it all and the earths .
I was going to try a completely seperate fuel loom. Using the o.e ecu relay(l6) to feed iscv and amal instead of the o.e fuel relay . Does anyone know if thats ok ? sorry to hijack the thread but it just seems worth asking as OP may want the same, iirc i,ve seen it mentioned before on here but cant find thread

Last edited by opposite lock; 28-05-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 28-05-2011, 06:01 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Look it's NOT rocket science, a 1 second prime is unlikely to be of any use to anyone, if that's the duration, especially after being left overnight, there is a valve in the pump to stop drain back, but they seriously are not that good, and won't hold pressure overnight, not even a brand new one.
The old relay cannot alter the prime duration, but can be easily(and safely) taken out by putting a wire across terminal 30(battery) and 87(output), the output from the fuel pump relay also feeds the amal valve, so unless you do a bit of rewiring you need a jumper across 30 + 87, but as the load if massively reduced only a thin wire is needed to run the amal valve, there's no point though unless it is causing a problem.
tabetha
Old 28-05-2011, 08:27 PM
chrisa3

Gonna have to get a sparky to have a look as my understanding of auto electrics is limited

Is there any reason why the new relay would trigger the pump with no ignition on. If I touch the + wires at the battery and only the - wire from the new loom, the pump starts. If i conenct the negative leads from the car first and then the negative lead from the new loom it doesnt.

Anyway, now the system is pressurised it starts on the key and runs, but I suspect its because there pressure there and it will just cut out after a while. Its tight in the garage at the minute, will have to try again tomorrow.
Old 29-05-2011, 04:20 AM
ClevoCapri
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it cut out or do you think it will??? If it starts and idles check if the pump is running with it idleing. If your getting your prime signal then once its started it runs its doing what it is sposed to do.
Or are you just not happy with the voltage?
Old 29-05-2011, 09:29 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by chrisa3
Gonna have to get a sparky to have a look as my understanding of auto electrics is limited

Is there any reason why the new relay would trigger the pump with no ignition on. If I touch the + wires at the battery and only the - wire from the new loom, the pump starts. If i conenct the negative leads from the car first and then the negative lead from the new loom it doesnt.

Anyway, now the system is pressurised it starts on the key and runs, but I suspect its because there pressure there and it will just cut out after a while. Its tight in the garage at the minute, will have to try again tomorrow.
No, the new relay should be open contacts across 30(battery) and 87(output) unless you have BOTH a live at 86 and a earth at 85, it is obviously getting some stray voltage from somewhere for this to be happening, unless it is a very cheap relay, some can be super sensitive, had a few over the years, one of the ones used on spot lights on a car I had would stay on once switched on, a light tap on it saw it turn off, you could have one like this.
tabetha
Old 29-05-2011, 11:19 AM
chrisa3

Got my head battered. If I pull the fuse on the MSD loom (so it doesnt fire the pump), connect all the + connections at the battery, but only the negative from the MSD loom, the new relay clicks open and closed (without the old relay connected, so its empty), and no ignition.

So it must be getting voltage on the old pin 86 which is the old pump + on the new loom. Either that or the new relays wired wrong??
Old 29-05-2011, 02:09 PM
boost mad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The length of the prime is ecu controlled based on engine temp etc.

You sure you fuel pressure reg isnt shot ?
Old 29-05-2011, 03:12 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Got my head battered. If I pull the fuse on the MSD loom (so it doesnt fire the pump), connect all the + connections at the battery, but only the negative from the MSD loom, the new relay clicks open and closed (without the old relay connected, so its empty), and no ignition.

So it must be getting voltage on the old pin 86 which is the old pump + on the new loom. Either that or the new relays wired wrong??
I thought the old pump +12v would be o.e relay 87 , which would now go to new relay 86 or 85 to trigger it once 85 or 86 is ground
Old 29-05-2011, 07:03 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by boost mad
The length of the prime is ecu controlled based on engine temp etc.

You sure you fuel pressure reg isnt shot ?
Its a new Weber Regulator from MSD.

Originally Posted by opposite lock
I thought the old pump +12v would be o.e relay 87 , which would now go to new relay 86 or 85 to trigger it once 85 or 86 is ground
The old pump 12v from oe relay 87 feeds the new trigger 86 on new relay and 85 is wired to supply the ground to battery and pump negative.

Ive come to the conclusion the cars just gonna do what the feck it likes. Put it all together again and now it runs. 13.2v at the pump constant. Been out all day, and it runs fine

The strange thing is, when ignition is turned on, it runs the pump constantly no priming etc just runs. If i leave the ignition on without starting the engine, the pump just runs and runs and runs.....

After 2 seconds or so, you can hear the MSD relay click, but pump still runs. Im wondering if its something to do with the Imobiliser.
Old 30-05-2011, 09:27 AM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

I was gonna suggest an imobiliser issue , interesting to hear the priming of the pump is engine temp related
Old 30-05-2011, 09:44 AM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

After 2 seconds or so, you can hear the MSD relay click, but pump still runs. Im wondering if its something to do with the Imobiliser.
something isn't right there then, either the relay is faulty or you have wired it up incorrectly. The immobiliser shouldnt affect it at all.
Old 30-05-2011, 11:55 AM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by fraser9764
something isn't right there then, either the relay is faulty or you have wired it up incorrectly. The immobiliser shouldnt affect it at all.
Im gonna ask my mate to have a look, as the OE relay and the new MSD loom obviously arent working together as they should. Ive not wired anything up other than the trigger from the old pump + as per the instructions with the loom.

Last edited by chrisa3; 30-05-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 30-05-2011, 12:25 PM
scottyrs
DURHAM RSOC

hope you get it sorted mate, these cossies never gan right do they lol