Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

What colour wires for 2wd alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 20-05-2011, 05:31 PM
g10ens
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What colour wires for 2wd alternator?

Trying to sort out which wires I need to connect to my alternator and which of the three studs on the alternator they should go to, the loom is quite damaged and a lot of the plugs and connectors have been ripped off the end of the wires so a little awkward to tell which should go where.
There is two thick red wires both crimped into one ring terminal which look like they should be connected to it and also a blue/black wire with one of those connectors that pushes onto a threaded stud and looks like it could be meant for the alternator.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Old 20-05-2011, 06:52 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The two red wires crimped into one go on the main terminal stud(10mm) that takes the 13mm nut, this will be marked B+, the next wire is a thinner blue wire that goes onto the 6mm stud marked "IND", this comes from the dash battery warning light.
The only other connection would be for a noise suppressor, this will have a very short length of wire on one end and a metal bracket at the other, the bracket secures down to a bolt on the alternator, the wire goes on the remaining terminal.
The thin wire that goes on the "IND" terminal can be tested to make sure it is simply by checking for a LIVE on the end of the wire(before connecting) when the ignition is on position 2(run), the engine doesn't need to be running for this test, when the ignition is turned to position 2 a LIVE go through the battery warning light in the dash clocks, out the other side of the bulb down the wire to the "IND" of the alt, where upon it gets a EARTH from the IND stud when engine(alternator) is stopped, this illuminates the bulb as it has live and earth, upon turning(starting engine) this EARTH on the IND changes state to LIVE, so putting the battery warning light/bulb out, as two lives don't make it light.
tabetha
Old 21-05-2011, 01:39 PM
g10ens
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see the 10mm stud with B+ for the red wires but there is two 6mm studs, one is marked D+ and the other has a W marked next to it. Do you know which one I should use? Thanks for the info on testing the wires, it confused the hell out of me as i don't understand electrics but my mate who helps with my wiring will understand when he's next round.
Old 21-05-2011, 02:07 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

I think it's D from memory, W is an 8V output for tacho on diesels or for chokes.

Martin
Old 21-05-2011, 05:24 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by g10ens
I can see the 10mm stud with B+ for the red wires but there is two 6mm studs, one is marked D+ and the other has a W marked next to it. Do you know which one I should use? Thanks for the info on testing the wires, it confused the hell out of me as i don't understand electrics but my mate who helps with my wiring will understand when he's next round.
It's D+ where the warning light wire goes, the "W" is a single tapping from one of the phases of the alt, and is as said for auto chokes(some are 12v though), and other things like diesel tachos.
tabetha