Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Fly wheel balancing and lighting, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 14-05-2011, 10:45 AM
peteh
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly wheel balancing and lighting, worth it?

It's a stage 3 engine, but am going to replace my clutch soon, so just wondered if it was worth doing whilst ive got the gearbox out?

cheers.
Old 14-05-2011, 11:16 AM
cossie891
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No point balancing just the flywheel mate lighten it though
Old 14-05-2011, 08:38 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT BALANCE IT, if you lighten it, the balance will be out, most likely by a long way, depending on the extent of lightening, if slotted and NOT balanced it will shake itself to death, and tear your engine apart.
A basic lighten is around Ł45 or so, just basically skimming out the humungous rim of metal at the rear of the flywheel, mine went from 8.9KG to 6.6KG from taking a lot from here, I then further had it slotted and that went down to 5.8KG, but the extra work of slotting wasn't as cost effective costing Ł70 for 0.8KG off compared with Ł45 for 2.3KG off, done again I wouldn't bother with the slotting, I'd have just asked them to make me a new one from scratch as they(randals make them as well).
IF you are NOT going to have it balanced afterwards then DON'T lighten it.
tabetha
Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 AM
peteh
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok, brought this subject up again tabs as im going for the same clutch as you, and seeing as the box and everything is apart thinking about getting mine done...

so if i get the humungous lip taken off the back, just make sure i have balanced afterwards your saying?
Old 08-06-2011, 02:16 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Yes it absolutely must be balanced after lightening, even though it may not seem like it, if it started perfectly balanced when rotating, removing metal will affect it, as there are ever so slight differences in density of the metal in the flywheel.
Driving mine with the lightened/balanced flywheel it's just so different, you need to relearn pulling away using a few more revs, and feed the clutch in over a longer period, the difference between starting to engage and fully up on the pedal is so small, fells like about 1"!!
I have about 40 miles on mine now, and it is changing for the better becoming more progressive in nature, I would seriously consider a hydraulic clutch conversion at the same time, makes a world of difference.
I find with the lighter flywheel off boost pick up is SO much quicker, the smoothness is amazing now I'm mapped just on a running in map, I was doing 30mph 5th gear smooth as a smooth thing.
Just make sure whoever you use is experienced in flywheel lightening, as they can explode if taken too far/made too weak in certain areas, I have seen the results of a f/wheel exploding, chunks went through the bell housing straight through the trans tunnel and severed a leg, guy lost his lower leg, it's a hell of a lot of energy to go astray.
tabetha
Old 08-06-2011, 02:45 PM
peteh
PassionFord Post Whore!!

meant to ask tabs, where did you get your Alcon from, Woodford?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:41 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

No, I got my cover from ebay, but the friction plate was from some rally place, can't remember the name though, just shop around, that's all I did.
tabetha