Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Fuel Pressure Regulator for a 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 26-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Bullseye224
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Regulator for a 4x4

I want to fit an adjustable fuel pressure reg and gauge to my 4x4 sapphire cosworth and after a quick look on the information super highway I said I'd see if anyone on here has fitted this setup to their car. My Sierra has a standard fuel rail and standard fittings

Any suggestions welcome
Old 27-04-2011, 04:12 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just be VERY cautious, on a saxo that was fitted with a combined reg/gauge the pressure bounced all over the place from 1 to 6 bar, couldn't map it obviously, so it could be a very costly mistake.
If you are just after a gauge, then there are decent ones starting at a low price, I use a £15 one in my pressure tester, this has been checked on a master gauge and was as far as eye could see bang on at all pressures 0-10 bar.
It has a 1/8NPT thread so you could just get a 1/8 boss welded to your rail, put gauge on job done for not much money, you keep the excellent w/m regulator that way as well, so no hassles, if you want it remote, ie in your car then simply buy a remote kit with gauge for around £50.
tabetha
Old 27-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

On my aeromotive reg the pressure gauge is fitted only to setup/check the pressure - its not designed to be left on all the time.
Old 17-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Bullseye224

I think I better put this post into context, I don't have the luxury of sending my cossie off to a reputible tuner with a rolling road for a proper fueling set up so I am trying to do it myself, or at the very least ensure I don't let it run on the lean side of things.

I have an AEM Wideband O2 Air/Fuel UEGO Gauge Kit ordered so I can monitor what's left after the whole combustion process, at the other end of things I planned on getting a fully adjustable fuel pressure regulator. In doing this I can keep the car running a little on the rich side, hence minimising detonation and saving my pistons. I think I am correct in saying that richer is cooler and therefore less lightly to detonate when it shouldn't.

what do you people out there think
Old 17-05-2011, 10:15 PM
scoobydooby914
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not exactly. Too rich can result in borewashing which in turn results in a fudged engine. Once they are setup properly they don't need doing that often
Old 18-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Bullseye224

I know its a search for a happy medium that is why I was going to use the wideband sensor to monitor the mixture and adjust accordingly. I only want to have it marginally on therich side to give me some piece of mind, I don't drive the balls out of it so its just wehn I do come on boost I'd like to know I'm in a relatively safer place.

Ireland isn't a great couintry for RS tuners, and I won't give my car to any ould gimp with a rolling road.

I just thought that the Adjustable FPR would let me richen it up enough for a bit of piece of mind
Old 18-05-2011, 08:02 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

It needs to be rich under boost, don't worry about any borewash at the moment.
I seriously would just save up till you can take a trip to the uk to see NMS.
tabetha
Old 18-05-2011, 12:23 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

After a quick search on Evolution chips webby there looks to be 3 installers in Ireland , they may have the knowhow and correct equipment to check your afr,s? . I personally would constantly be afraid by not knowing exactly whats going on and would spoil the fun of it . Your doing the right thing by getting a wideband guage though and as Tabs said be careful if you do get an aftermarket FPR . A trip to the UK would no doubt be cheaper than a melted engine would be my way of thinking . You can get very good value for money with a setup by some of the best plus any other tweeks and checks that come with it
Old 18-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

They don't do Cosworth ECU mapping though, you have to go to MSD for that.

There are plenty of places here that can check your AFRs etc... Where are you based?
Old 18-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Bullseye224

I'm in the West, there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm behind the Adjustable FPR on here!!

Seems like a good idea to me, I can monitor the mixture and have it on the safe side of 14.7. It's great for the lads in the UK with all the reputable tuners, unfortunately I don't have such a luxury although i am toying with the idea of a trip to MSD they offer a nice service package, it would be realistically next year before it would happen

But for now I'd just like some peace of mind. Surely there is somene that has uprated theirs??

I'm not afraid of fitting one its just I though I might come across some feedback on a product that has been tried and tested.
Old 18-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the standard FPR, there is a cap on the top witch you can remove to adjust it with.

what chip is inside the ecu?

If its half decent id imagine you would need to set the base fuel pressure at 3 bar @ idle and that should rise to 3.5 with the vac pipe disconnected

Last edited by Miller 3; 18-05-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 18-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Bullseye224

as far as I know its running a stage one chip, this was done to the car before I bought it.
Old 18-05-2011, 10:21 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Paul_RS
They don't do Cosworth ECU mapping though, you have to go to MSD for that.

There are plenty of places here that can check your AFRs etc... Where are you based?
I just did a quick search for the OP as to whom may have AFR monitoring equipment in his area , as said they cant be the only ones .

Just quickly ,I was under the impression if an installer was to have the right equipment a map could be altered on a Cosworth / Webber ecu at HQ?