Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

sierra wiring and earth problems

Search this Thread

Old 23-04-2011, 11:40 PM
kieran_macca
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sierra wiring and earth problems

hello, wondering if any of the electrical wizards on here can tell me which earths are for which auxillary components (blower,etc.), hopefully that makes sense. And does the earth to the engine, if disconected, cause anything to stop working(no earth)?
The car in question is a full ghia model and has therefore all electrics, most of the electrics are working except a few things.
Thanks for any help, if you can make sense of that
Old 23-04-2011, 11:52 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts

the motor needs a very good earth
Old 24-04-2011, 09:00 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of the earths are linked, there is a earth next to the fan blower as well.
The problem many suffer from is the wire inside the insulation actually rots causing major high resistance, items will then try to find a earth circuit through other items earths, a classic example being the rear lights which can go "disco" with a bad earth.
You could very well have more than just one bad earth, any electrical motor is VERY voltage sensitive so will show problems sooner than other things.
What precisely is the problem ?
tabetha
Old 24-04-2011, 10:36 AM
kieran_macca
PassionFord Regular

thanks for the help so far, where does the earth next to the blower go to?
the exact problem is this: i stripped the car to a bare shell for a wee resto, i had the engine bay wiring loom back inside the car, after the bay was painted i brought out the wiring and refitted everything, easy enough as everything just goes where it should and plugs in etc.
the engine isnt back in yet and i havent checked if everything is working, but the blower isnt working, and it definitely was working before,

im thinking its an earth problem but i think all the earths are on correct, except the engine earth obviously.
could i bring an earth from the blower to the battery and see if that cures it?

thanks again for the help
Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
kieran_macca
PassionFord Regular

bump, can anyone give me the exact locations of all earths?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 PM
g10ens
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I refitted the loom to my 3dr a while back and im pretty sure i put the earth for the blower on to the part of the bulkhead that the bottom of the wiper motor bolts to, Im not sure if that's where it was originally as I didn't label it up before removing it as I didn't think it was important, I'm crap with electrics but I thought as long as it's earthed out somewhere it should be ok. My blower occasionally doesn't work but seems to be the plug slightly at fault as it will come on if I wiggle the plug about.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:09 PM
kieran_macca
PassionFord Regular

i never noticed an actual earth for the blower, i must check that in a minute. perhaps i should earth everything that doesnt work? lol

a new fault (yawn) that ive noticed is that the front d/s indicator and sidelight stay on all the time when the car is turned on, and the indicator light on the dash stays on constantly, when i plug out the bulb the dash light goes out, what could be wrong here?
i might have to take a course in electrics
Old 05-05-2011, 05:18 PM
g10ens
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure there was a seperate earth for the blower, im not a home at the moment so can't looks at the car to check.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:25 PM
kieran_macca
PassionFord Regular

thanks mate, ill take a look after dinner to see what i can find
Old 05-05-2011, 06:05 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

I suspect a bad earth re the drivers side indicator/sidelight, if a component has a bad earth it will earth through other means (If possible) thus the lights being on (I should think it's more of a glow rather than bright light?)

Current wants to get from positive to negative as quickly as possible and will take the shortest path possible, this is the reason as to why.

You haven't just been running connections from anywhere have you as this could cause just this?

Martin
Old 05-05-2011, 06:46 PM
clyde 1800
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im from garvagh and have a 2000e its stripped out if you need you can take a look and see
Old 06-05-2011, 06:08 PM
kieran_macca
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by martysmartie
I suspect a bad earth re the drivers side indicator/sidelight, if a component has a bad earth it will earth through other means (If possible) thus the lights being on (I should think it's more of a glow rather than bright light?)

Current wants to get from positive to negative as quickly as possible and will take the shortest path possible, this is the reason as to why.

You haven't just been running connections from anywhere have you as this could cause just this?

Martin
your right, it is a glow rather than a bright light, im assuming this would be to do with the earths at the headlight panel?

do you mean putting earths anywhere they can go? if so then no, ive got all the earths in the correct place, except the ones at the negative terminal may be wrong although i think i have that sorted now too.

would the fact that there is no earth to an engine, bonnet or tailgate cause any of the above problems?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:09 PM
kieran_macca
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by clyde 1800
im from garvagh and have a 2000e its stripped out if you need you can take a look and see

thanks, if im stuck i shall let you know and maybe take a look
Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by g10ens
I refitted the loom to my 3dr a while back and im pretty sure i put the earth for the blower on to the part of the bulkhead that the bottom of the wiper motor bolts to, Im not sure if that's where it was originally as I didn't label it up before removing it as I didn't think it was important, I'm crap with electrics but I thought as long as it's earthed out somewhere it should be ok. My blower occasionally doesn't work but seems to be the plug slightly at fault as it will come on if I wiggle the plug about.
As above mine goes to the lower bolt on the wiper motor fixing.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes having no engine earth strap can cause all manor of problems!

In this case though it has to be something that comes live on ignition, as this is when the problem occurs, a crude way of finding the problem could be to pull the fuses one by one and then retrying and seeing if the problem disappears and if so what circuit, thus isolating the problem to one area.

Martin
Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 PM
kieran_macca
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by tosh
As above mine goes to the lower bolt on the wiper motor fixing.
I dont have this earth on either of my shells, perhaps its only like that on the older models? I found the problem btw, the live connection is doing nothing, i took a wire from the live to the +ve terminal on the battery and it works on al 3 levels at the switch inside, slight sigh of relief lol
Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 PM
kieran_macca
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Yes having no engine earth strap can cause all manor of problems!

In this case though it has to be something that comes live on ignition, as this is when the problem occurs, a crude way of finding the problem could be to pull the fuses one by one and then retrying and seeing if the problem disappears and if so what circuit, thus isolating the problem to one area.

Martin
Thanks for the help well i have now got the lights, blower, wipers sorted, now i just need to find and fix any other problems using this method, isolating the problem.
The lights where caused by a bad earth at the headlight panel, luckily enough, the blower was a live problem as mentioned above, the wiper motor was ceased which i have now changed.
Oh and the brake fluid bottle cap heating up was caused by the starter wire resting against a brake pipe and shorting the whole brake system. Its wierd how things can be caused by such simple things lol