Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Couple of 3dr project questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Cosmo
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of 3dr project questions

I'm mid build in my 3dr project and have come across another snag.

The auxillary loom that runs the headlights wipers, horn etc etc is missing from my shell, i've looked around at getting an original 3dr cossie one but cant find one, there is however a scrap yard near me with a few ordinary 1.6 GL sierra hatchbacks in, just wondering if the loom would be the same?

My second question is that while fitting my rear beam to the shell (non cosworth shell, originally a 1.3) i noticed its anti roll bar (which is a cos 4x4 anti roll bar) will not line up with the holes in the shell for its brackets- its a mile off! i've even offered up a 2wd anti roll bar ind its no better, anyone know if an original 3dr one is vastly different? Also i'm running the car on coilover suspension i've heard i dont really need the anti roll bar, is this true, can i bin it off completely?

Cheers!!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the light loom is off a mk1, that had the larger lights as per 3 door cossie it is the same.
The REAR ARB is TOTALLY DIFFERENT on a 3 door cos to a sapphy, on a sapphy it fixes on the inside of the arms but outside on the 3 door cossie, and this is why the sapphy bar won't fit.
A sapphy roll bar is about 3 feet wide as opposed to around 5 feet for a 3 door one.
The 3 door cos roll bar is a bit thin to be honest, used them on my mk1 2.1gl, and using one on my dads xr4i(mk1), by the way the front roll bar will fit 2wd sapphys, but will push the wheels slightly further forward giving less castor, makes it a bit more twitchy but better grip as I used to do this as well.
I have a sapphy on AVO coilover suspension, and have just uprated the roll bar with a scorpio(cosworth) one(21mm), YES you defo do need a rear roll bar, otherwise you will find the rear trying to lift up when cornering hard.
tabetha
Old 09-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Cosmo
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by tabetha
If the light loom is off a mk1, that had the larger lights as per 3 door cossie it is the same.
The REAR ARB is TOTALLY DIFFERENT on a 3 door cos to a sapphy, on a sapphy it fixes on the inside of the arms but outside on the 3 door cossie, and this is why the sapphy bar won't fit.
A sapphy roll bar is about 3 feet wide as opposed to around 5 feet for a 3 door one.
The 3 door cos roll bar is a bit thin to be honest, used them on my mk1 2.1gl, and using one on my dads xr4i(mk1), by the way the front roll bar will fit 2wd sapphys, but will push the wheels slightly further forward giving less castor, makes it a bit more twitchy but better grip as I used to do this as well.
I have a sapphy on AVO coilover suspension, and have just uprated the roll bar with a scorpio(cosworth) one(21mm), YES you defo do need a rear roll bar, otherwise you will find the rear trying to lift up when cornering hard.
tabetha
Is the 3 door roll bar the same as a XR4i one then, as its easier to get my hands on one of them. Also dont suppose you know if the 3dr roll bar will connect to the 4x4 cos rear beam?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:38 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

The 3 door cossie roll bar is the same SHAPE, but is thicker.
Th attachment points as far as I can remember are on the outer edge of each arm and the brackets are locate on the chassis section near the top of the springs.
I think there is 10mm/12mm/14mm bars used on the rear of the 3 door shells.
3 door roll bar on 4wd beam ?, the bars are different shape but do not go on the beam.
tabetha
Old 10-06-2008, 06:09 AM
Cosmo
Regular Contributor

The 3 door cossie roll bar is the same SHAPE, but is thicker.
Th attachment points as far as I can remember are on the outer edge of each arm and the brackets are locate on the chassis section near the top of the springs.
I think there is 10mm/12mm/14mm bars used on the rear of the 3 door shells.
3 door roll bar on 4wd beam ?, the bars are different shape but do not go on the beam.
tabetha
Do they not attach via drop links to the beam? Sorry if i'm being a bit dim, this is my first 3dr "experience"
Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 PM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they attach via drop links.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Cosmo
Regular Contributor

So the 3dr roll bar drop link connection wont fit the 4x4 cos beam then?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:58 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am think they are different, remember the rod sizes are different also as tabetha pointed out. It is not hard to pick up some proper ones once you decide.
I found after researching it all I ended up putting group adjustable A blades on my todo list and my anti roll bars are on the shelf.
In Australia some recommend to not have any on at all as roads can be rough (pot holes), so depending on how you drive (track, road, rough smooth roads) you should consider how much tortional strain you want to apply between the trailing arms, how independant do you want the rear to be.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:05 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

The BEAM is irrelevant as no part of the ROLL bar attaches to it, it is secured to the chassis, and then at the ends of the roll bar by drop links to each ARM.
These attachment points on the arms are INBOARD on the sapphire arms and OUTBOARD on the 3 door arms that is why the 3 door roll bar is so much longer.
Unless you are moving the attachement points on the arms, to suit the roll bar being used yopu can only use the correct one for the correct arms.
The sapphy bars are held to the body by clamps either side of the diff area on a flat chassis section.
The 3 door bar is held by clamps right near the top of the spring, about 1 1/2 feet away.
tabetha
Old 12-06-2008, 06:07 AM
Cosmo
Regular Contributor

The BEAM is irrelevant as no part of the ROLL bar attaches to it, it is secured to the chassis, and then at the ends of the roll bar by drop links to each ARM.
These attachment points on the arms are INBOARD on the sapphire arms and OUTBOARD on the 3 door arms that is why the 3 door roll bar is so much longer.
Unless you are moving the attachement points on the arms, to suit the roll bar being used yopu can only use the correct one for the correct arms.
The sapphy bars are held to the body by clamps either side of the diff area on a flat chassis section.
The 3 door bar is held by clamps right near the top of the spring, about 1 1/2 feet away.
tabetha
Cheers, i've seen the connection point to the chassis, as you say they're near the spring tops so the 3dr bar would definately fit the chassis, my only problem now is that if the drop links only attach to 3dr arms then i need to find a way to modify the 4x4 ones i got on at the moment to accept the drop link positions from the 3dr roll bar, is this do-able?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:16 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

You can do that by simply welding a piece of metal on with a LUG PIN that the drop link goes onto.
Another BETTER option is to fit a 2/4wd sapphy/escos etc roll bar, these are so much more effective, and well worth doing, just a little welding again.
tabetha