Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Valuation.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 PM
muffster
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valuation.

Hello fellas,can anyone give me an idea what my cossie is worth. A bit of an ambiguos question i know, but the prices of them seem to very wildly and i was wondering what i would be looking at.
Here we go, its a RWD sapphire cosworth, ive had it for 12 years, its done 108K.
Ive just had it resprayed in moonstone blue, a proper job with the front and rear screens taken out etc so the bodywork is spot on. The interior is in really good nick, i replaced the drivers seat so no problems there.
Over the last year ive replaced: new front bumper, radiator, battery group, A coil, group A cambelt and tensioner, rocker cover gasket, turbo shield, plugs leads cap and rotor arm, phase sensor, crank sensor, front discs and pads. Fully waxoiled. Replaced a couple of brake pipes, new brake pump, new fuel tank and fuel filter. Wheels blasted and powder coated. SS exhaust.
An ideas please?
Many thanks,
Muffster.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:26 PM
fatmike
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Sounds pretty nice, a respray is always a good thing. However PERSONALLY, the thing I look for with a cossy at that mileage is probably a full engine rebuild, but I'm sure there are many people who would think different. For that reason I would would prbs say £4,500 - 5

It also depends wat power your running aswell. if it was stage 3 330 - 350bhp, then youd be looking around 5,500+ but standard probs what I stated before.

However every one is different when they come to buying cars, some people look for bodywork, some are more engine types.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:36 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What colour was it before you had it all sprayed
Old 12-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Jimboxr4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say the same, about 4.5k to 5k, maybe more if the bodywork is totally pucker.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:03 PM
muffster
Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Valuation

Thanks for the replys fellas.
The original colour was moonstone. I had it done about 8 or 9 years ago, but at the time i didnt realise how much of a crap job had been done on it. Their was paint flaking where the bloke had masked up poorly and some panles ended up with loads of microblisters. I had it done again last November by someone i know who did a great job, again in original moonstone.
The engine is completly standard,im not really into squeezing power from it, i prefer it to be original. Now its back on the road, (it was in a garage for 6 years) i will probably only do around 3k a year in it.
Cheers.
Muffster.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:46 PM
muffster
Regular Contributor

Default Valuation

Yes, the rear arches have been replaced, i put a new door on because the bottom was well rusted. The bodywork is mint but i had a nightmare with the door mouldings getting them right. The double sided tape i used was crap and didnt stick too well so i had to take them off and start again!!!
Also had same old problems with the side skirt clips!!!!!
Could put some pics up if anyones intersted.
Cheers
Muffster.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 PM
fatmike

yeh put up some pics why not, sounds a nice car.

If it was "properly" standard, and that means down to pretty much everything including exhaust, interior bits. Then it could go for even more. Theres a big difference between a standard engine, and a standard car, because a standard car attracts interest from guys who like them original and mint. A very clean standard cossy (with low mileage) could easily rival a BIG powered tuned up one with the price bracket

get some pics up man!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

In the entry-level Cossie ownership market (ie cheap sapphires with over 100k miles like yours) there's a tendency for people to like them standard as it's their first Cossie and insurance is an issue.

Anyway, I think the above estimates are excessive, on eBay you'd be lucky to see £3,500 for it. So it's had a respray? So what, could be cos it's a rust bucket and the rust will start eating back through within months... you see what I mean??

You have something in common with me - we both have recently spent a lot of money on our cars, but what we spent isn't going to up the resale value of it much - so do what I'm doing and hang onto the damn thing even if you are "bored" of it - it's worth £5k to you so don't sell it!

Last edited by TurboShed; 12-04-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 13-04-2008, 11:17 AM
muffster
Regular Contributor

Default Valuation

I must admit ive seen some really cheap cossies on ebay and been quite horrifed by the prices!!! Also a lot of them have been tweaked in one way or another and its a bit of a gamble to be buying something with 300-400 bhp which you might not know the full history of. Im not really bothered about the fact that ive out a few quid in it and getting my money back, im just enjoying driving it again. Im not bored of it but i am tempted by an RS2000, i just havnt got the space in the garage for both!!!
Will do some pics later.
Cheers.
Muffster.
Old 13-04-2008, 06:05 PM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Go look at these cheap cossie,s and you will find out why they are cheap,looked for one my self a month ago,bought a flint gray one with 140 k on the clock,standard ish car,rebuilt engine with brand new cylinder head,not recon,was painted 2 yrs ago,paid 4.5k for it,inner wings are mint,good 2wd saff's are becoming hard to find,moonstone being a favored colour in my mind

cheeRS stu
Old 13-04-2008, 06:40 PM
fatmike

Yeh I don't personally agree with what was said somewhere above. Of course there are cheap ones about, but thats ebay lol. If its a straight clean car underneath and ontop than definately no lower than 4K. Yeh there are ones which sell for 3,500, but cossys for that price always have things wrong with them, weather it be a few bits of rust popping up somewhere, some minor body damage, or is just all around a tatty car in need of tlc.

I have known of a few cossys go for that price, and the price reflected the condition of the car. You usually find the owner has just got fed up with it, and in his laziness has caused the car to drop its standards

So if your cars clean, with no underlying problems then dont sell it for NO less than 4.5k
Old 13-04-2008, 07:31 PM
muffster
Regular Contributor

Default Valuation

A lot of people have said "these will be worth a fortune in a few years" Im sure you guys have had that as well! But thats not why ive kept it.
There's not one spot of rust, all the underneath, wheel arches, under petrol tank have all been waxoiled. I spent ages cleaning up the engine bay, taking bits off cleaning them up and putting stuff in the dishwasher when the wife was at work!! only for the engine bay to be covered in dust and shite when it came back from the paint shop!!!
Anyway i dont intend to part with it for some time yet.

Finally managed to get some pics up, they arent the best but this took me ages to suss out.
Cheers.
Muffster.
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll295/muffster_2008/
Old 13-04-2008, 07:35 PM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 13-04-2008, 07:54 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

looks in very very good condition. The car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, get someone interested at the right time and it could make more than 5k IMO
Old 14-04-2008, 01:25 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you have no front sliptter?

also its down to the buyer..if they think its worth that much..

i paid over 8grand for my standard saph but only had 18,000miles onit..and was immaculate, no rust no damage, had standard wheels , ehaust and even original tyres but they didnt last long

and i paid that much a couple years ago and now its a tiger stripped 450bhp wepon
Old 14-04-2008, 02:46 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd say the car in the pictures is a £5k car as it bloody good condition.
Old 14-04-2008, 09:26 AM
muffster
Regular Contributor

Default Valuation

Thanks guys.
Well spotted R5FORD, the spiltter from my old bumper was knackered. The new one i replaced it with didnt have one. Are they available somewhere?
I just had it valeted, only cost 30 quid and the bloke does a brilliant job. Its a bit lazy i know but it would take me all day and i still couldnt get a finish on it as good as he does.
Cheers.
Muffster.
Old 14-04-2008, 10:08 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by muffster
Thanks guys.
Well spotted R5FORD, the spiltter from my old bumper was knackered. The new one i replaced it with didnt have one. Are they available somewhere?
I just had it valeted, only cost 30 quid and the bloke does a brilliant job. Its a bit lazy i know but it would take me all day and i still couldnt get a finish on it as good as he does.
Cheers.
Muffster.

hi mate. im sure you can get them from ford but i think it takes a whike to find one from them. the saph you have should be with around 5k imo