Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Please help amal valve and boost on T34

Search this Thread

Old 18-12-2007, 01:35 PM
RSDOHC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help amal valve and boost on T34

Hello Cosworth Friends,

I bought a Sierra Sapphire 4X4 , and now will try to fix some problems on the car.

The Turbocharger is T34 with AR 63 exhaust and .60 compressor,

The amal valve was removed and the connector for it isn't pluged anywhere, (sorry for my bad english i'm from Bulgaria)

The boost pressure was adjusted to 0,75 bar hold boost and 0,8 bar overboost , with bleed valve.

My first question is can drive without this amal valve , will the ECU catch any error.

Will the std. dark blue Injectors suport a flow rate , when I adjust the boost on 0,95 - 1Bar (T34 .63AR) , because the MAP are std, not 3 bar , The car can be maped , and a wide band lambda will be connected , but I'm wondering if I turn the fuel pressure at 4.0Bar at Idle , will I have (with mapping the ECU ) ethe flow rate that I need

Please help cosworth friends , It is difficult to by some parts in Bulgaria like 3BAR map and Green Injectors , I need some information , not to blow my engine
Old 18-12-2007, 01:36 PM
RSDOHC

I bought the car without amal valve and I dont have it
Old 18-12-2007, 03:25 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You absolutely must have an amal valve, or some other form of BOOST control.
I assume it is the standard chip in the ecu ?, due to the boost but being on greens, would suggest it has a stage three chip!!
You need first to determine what chip is in there, as if you don't have a modded chip to suit greens it will overfuel all the time, not good, wasting money(petrol) and power.
It uses the amal valve as part of the boost control circuit.
Parts like this are readily available, and the 3 bar map if it is stage three chip.
Have a look at the chip to see what it is as it is vital to know.
Some(idiots) just stick greens in on a standard chip, which does not do a thing except ruin the engine.
tabetha
Old 18-12-2007, 04:13 PM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
You absolutely must have an amal valve, or some other form of BOOST control.
in the case described above, the actuator IS the boost control, if its take-off is plumbed to the compressor housing, so the amal valve is not required
Old 19-12-2007, 05:49 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

I know that but the fact that he mentioned that the amal had been removed and did not mention the pipework had been re-arranged I assumed it had no control, that and the apparant mix of stage 1 and 3 parts.
tabetha
Old 19-12-2007, 08:28 AM
RSDOHC

Friends thank you very much for your answers, i'm worried , that when I'm driving without the amal valve the ECU will catch some error , that is the question, I have manual control on the boost and my chip in the ECU is Stage 1 , but the Turbocharger was restricted to Group A with 34mm restrictor , after I bought the car i removed the restrictor and it must bee maped propably I know that , my target is 1bar boost on the standart dark blue injectors with T34 (.63 AR) , and standart 2 bar Map sensor, fuel pressure 4.0 bar at idle or more if needed
Old 19-12-2007, 09:40 AM
silky16v
Get on That!

Originally Posted by RSDOHC
Friends thank you very much for your answers, i'm worried , that when I'm driving without the amal valve the ECU will catch some error , that is the question, I have manual control on the boost and my chip in the ECU is Stage 1 , but the Turbocharger was restricted to Group A with 34mm restrictor , after I bought the car i removed the restrictor and it must bee maped propably I know that , my target is 1bar boost on the standart dark blue injectors with T34 (.63 AR) , and standart 2 bar Map sensor, fuel pressure 4.0 bar at idle or more if needed
why change upto a T34 if you only plan to run 1.0 bar of boost?
why increase fuel pressure? (fit bigger injectors)
why leave standard MAP sensor in place (do you want to run more boost than 1.0 bar?)

you have the turbo for a good stage 3 conversion 350bhp+
what you need now is the injectors to match (803's) & 3.0 Bar Map sensor then you need a chip to suit!

I would suggest you speak to speak to a tuner before you melt your engine, with the incorrect engine spec yours running
Old 19-12-2007, 10:08 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Don't worry about any "fault reporting" from the ecu, they are not that sophisticated, that this would be an issue.
You need to know what chip etc so you can get all parts working in harmony with each other.
Certainly do not increase fuel pressure, most upgrades stage 1/2/3 etc use std pressure anyway.
tabetha
Old 19-12-2007, 10:09 AM
RSDOHC

Thank you for the answer,

In my country Bulgaria , they aren't any competent tuning company for any advice for cosworth , they are making chip's and tune diesel or other engine's , and to by some 803 Grenns and 3 Bar map is difficult , I have a friend who can make a good chip and fix the fuel map and ignition , on my car that's why I'm asking for advice . My target is 1 bar boost for this time , in future I can try to get some parts from england (green and 3 bar map) but now 1 bar with the T34 will be enough for me, The turbocharger T34 was on the car when I bought it, I haven't bought it extra.
Old 19-12-2007, 10:13 AM
RSDOHC

there is a tuning company: "C&D Lustig" in Germany , they increase the fuel pressure for Stage 1 , and the boost on 1.2 bar , without changing the 2 bar map sensor, adjusting the fuel pressure to 3.8 bar

Here is Stage 1:

Hubraum: 1993 ccm

Eprom 355

Düsen blau

Champion QC59C

K&N Luftfilter

Benzindruck 3,8 bar

Ladedruck 1,2 bar
Old 19-12-2007, 12:31 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

you can run more boost than the MAP sensor can measure, but it's not particularly clever to do so. look at the NMS gunship conversion that runs more mid range boost than the std 2 bar MAP sensor can read, but if it's mapped to do so, it's ok. it's only if the boost increases (perhaps on a cold day) that the ecu does not know how much fuel to add to the extra air and it may run lean causing major engine damage

as for boost control, he has a bleed valve fitted. that does a good job of controlling boost, but cannot reduce boost in the event of a problem like the ecu controlled SEM valve can (it's not an amal valve, that is a name mistakely given as there used to be a company called amal that made carburettors, but the boost control valve is made by SEM in a place called Åmål )

you will not get any fault code or anything like that, but the boost control valve is there to reduce boost and prevent engine damage in case something else goes wrong (like very high inlet air charge temperature)
Old 19-12-2007, 12:48 PM
RSDOHC

Thank you very much Nick, that was one of my questions, thank you
Old 19-12-2007, 01:14 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

RSDOHC no problem my friend