Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

help on measurements for power window installation please

Search this Thread

Old 25-11-2007, 07:00 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help on measurements for power window installation please

Hi all, I have a manual window sierra which I have bought a 3 dr cosworth power window setup for. This is part of of a total rebuild to 3dr RS500 specs. (The body is totally bare and converted so far. I built this rotisserie that made life really easy )

What I need to know is the exact location of the mount holes for the motor (4 rivets) and the guide (2 rivets). I also need to know the distance of the spacer for the bars at the bottom of the window as it was not supplied with the motor assemblies.

Speaking of the window connection and assemblies, I don't know how you remove and install the motor asseblies (arms with ball joints) to the window), I dont want to force it and break or distort the window / guide, how do you remove and install these items ?

Any help on these items would be really appreciated as it is one of the last remaining body conversions outstanding.

PS: If you have a picture of the door with measurements that would be fantastic....
Old 25-11-2007, 01:20 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year I fitted lecky windys to my dads xr4i(1982), to replace the manual ones.
As far as I can remember the holes are the same holes used for the manual regulator, I think I might have had to drill 1 more hole, but other wise straight fit.
Do the wiring first, or just use wires to motor and when you get it in a certain down position it will go straight in, you do not need to change or move the clamps holding the window.
tabetha
Old 26-11-2007, 01:33 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Thanks for you advise Tabetha, I think that your car might be slightly different, I have included pics of the doors I have... are they similar, The arms are different on the replacement items to manual one, the manual one has an extra joint in it and appear to connect to the window at different place... then electric ones would be wider appart...
Let me know what you think please... if you need more info I am happy to get it...

The electric item... the manual one is quite different to this, it has extra joints one arm.

Note that the motor is connected to the assembly, I would have to change it all wouldnt I

Old 26-11-2007, 02:02 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

i hate working on car windows no space to work and carnt see a fucking thing..

my saph drivers window fell out of the track on new years eve..when i parked the car up at 11.30pm..and it was pissing down

eventually turned up at the party hands cut to ribbons

fooking cars
Old 26-11-2007, 05:54 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

I wil take the door pad off my dads and wrack his brains to see if he can remember better what we did, but it was pretty straightforward I remember that.
I will post in the next couple of days.
tabetha
Old 26-11-2007, 06:17 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Thanks a bunch, If you take a picture of the door, could you put a ruler on the door, that way I can work out measurements...
Old 26-11-2007, 06:20 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

having the window tracks get out of whack etc and then have the window fail at a time like that is what I am afraid of... or even worse, it partly opens gets screwed up and breaks the window... ouch
I have had to modify a lot of stuff and thought I was done... now I have to get these done ... and i hope all my body mods are done...
Old 30-11-2007, 06:52 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

I just removed the existing winder... pictures below show the difference between the electric and manual versions. I also called in to Paul Morris racing, their sierra is just down the road and I looked at his setup, he has manual windows in the race car and they are identical to mine. I am not sure what Dick Johnson runs, he is close by as well so will check tomorrow, I have tons of pics of his car on the outside but nothing on the window winders...
Anyhow here are the pics... my current plans seem to be either to modify the manual to take the motor or modify the door mounts to take the electric windows... Maybe the electric windows I bought are not cosworth ones as promised ? However I can see that the electric windows do need more strength to cater for the extra torque and lack of feel of volts versus fingers