Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Coilovers vs Koni's/Bilstein's etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Simmo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coilovers vs Koni's/Bilstein's etc

Right... its now time to get the suspension sorted, was gonna go for Koni's with Ahmed's springs but considering the GAZ coilovers now. What's everyone think of them who's got them?... and has anyone gone from Koni's to coilovers who can explain the differences?

I mainly want to know info like ride quality, fitting etc... oh and they're for fast road use with a bit of 1/4 mile and track thrown in too!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

dont buy konis,they are simply crap,the rears need removed to be adjusted(jacked up,bottom bolt removed,turned,bolt back in etc)the rears only have 3 settings,the front adjusters seize and dont adjust,the stupid plastic knob wears out,they leak from where they adjust,they rust like mad,the powder coating is too thin.they were maybe the best thing till affordable coilovers came out,i bought a set of avo coilovers for my old sapph,the best thing i did to change the handling,i took a full set of konis off,infinite ride height adjustment,easy to stiffen up,lower,raise soften,plus they look ace,whats a koni kit cost?£400+,a coilover kit is around £550,believe me they are worth the extra!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Never had a Problem with my Konis. Had mine fitted with Ahmed springs and they are not only better for normal driving but also alot better when giving it some in the corners.

I wont go Coilovers unless i start doing about 10 trackdays a year and then i will buy a proper set [about £1k+]. The cheap ones are just a waste of money, spring rates are way to hard and as soon as you put them on track and get some proper loads on them they just start pissing fluid out.

The choice is yours at the end of the day. Mike R says unless you are going to buy quality coilovers and are going to do alot of track work, stick with the Konis and Ahmed combo as its alot better for the road and still good on track. I am inclined to belive him seeing how much time and money he spent trying to find the best set up.
Old 13-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Simmo

Thanks for the replies guys!

Originally Posted by Nash
I am inclined to belive him seeing how much time and money he spent trying to find the best set up.
Totally agree, he's emailed me saying the same thing and i'll be using the car for normal fast road use probably about 90% of the time so Koni's may be the best route!!!
Old 13-11-2007, 06:42 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

im speaking from experience,i have bought 2 new sets of konis in the past and have had bother with them both,and another 2 cars i have owned came with konis and the adjusters were seized,and i have heard of other adjusters seizing on friends cars.i have a bilstein kit on my sapph and it seems fine,the guy at woodford garage reccomended this kit highly to my friend so thats what he got,doesnt adjust though so maybe not what you are looking for!
Old 14-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an agent for ALL the suspension manufacturers, from my own experience, the ONLY set up that has given me cause for concern is the cheap coil-overs. They leak, sieze and plain just don't work, with spring rates specced completely wrong for the Cosworths.

I always steer people clear of them where possible, because I don't want to be whinged at for supplying shonky stuff . On a road car, it COMPLETELY spoils the ride quality if you go for the spring rates that these companies supply, so if someone insists on this set up, I at least supply the correct spring rates and forewarn people of the potential pit falls (if used in one winter, the adjusters WILL sieze).
Old 14-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Remko GT
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was advised the eaxt same. I even talked to someone who is actually dragracing his 3dr. He also told me to stay clear of the "cheaper" coilover sets and advised me to buy adjustable Koni's instead. The "cheap" coilovers are for showpurpose only and deffo will give you the grief Mike just described when used hard. I also fitted Koni's because mine will be road car with the odd track-day aspiration.

I for one believe the problems Lee155 described are due to lack of maintenance. Koni's and crap are not two things you usually see together in a sentence, unless the word "not" is included in the same context. I do agree that the rear adjustability leaves something to be desired and the powdercoating is "somewhat" thin.
Old 14-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

intresting reading, i am in the situation to buy some new suspension next weekend and i cant make up my mind which to go for
Old 14-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Simmo

155lee I also know someone who swears by the Bilstein kit, he won't have anything else! You've obviously had a bad experience with the Koni's which is fair enough but I haven't had any problems with them myself (but i agree about the rear adjustment!).

Mike Rainbird Further to your email yesterday I'll definately be going for the Koni/Ahmed Kit from you... Just trying to decide which springs to go for!

Nash You've got the track spec springs on yours haven't you?... What do you think?
Old 14-11-2007, 12:00 PM
silky16v
Get on That!

I've always fitted AVO adjustable shocks & chassis Dynamics springs (on my last 2 Saphs) and found these better than any Koni setup

I currently just replaced my Koni & Ahmed setup for Gaz Coilovers & it is much improved handling & i live in the lake district so some of the best most demanding roads in the UK
Old 14-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

The trouble is LOTS of people slate the Koni stuff as being too soft, wothout even trying to adjust it (as even I will acknowledge that the rear is a ball ache to adjust ). The amount of people that have phoned me asking for different suspension to what they have, and I have asked what settings the Konis are on, and they either say the softest of a mid setting. I ask if they have tried it on the harder settings and every single person I have asked this question as admitted to NOT having tried the damping any stiffer than they have it set to .

I have then suggested that they try it on the harder settings and report back. Invariably it makes sufficient difference, that they don't change the suspension. I only changed mine from Konis when even on the hardest setting, the ride was not stiff enough (but that was to be expected, as they were several years old by then).

I recently drove a Sapphire 4x4 with BRAND NEW Konis (set to quite hard) and Ahmed springs, and I had to ask what suspension it was.

As to AVO and Chassis Dynamics, they do not in any way compare to Konis / Ahmed springs. The Konis are FAR superior. This is in no way a biased view, as I actually earn FAR more on the AVOs / CD springs, but I couldn't in all conscience push them onto punters, knowing that they are inferior to other items readily available.
Old 14-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Ont he subject of suspension - how does the new B.A.D. stuff compare to Leda? I'm thinking about a set in a few months for the sapph.
Old 14-11-2007, 09:31 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the konis i had on my sapph were 3 months old when 1 of the fronts started leaking from where it adjusted,it was changed under warranty,they had done no more then 1000 miles(hardly used the car and werent changed for reliability issues i must add)and they were showing signs of rust,i fitted avo coilovers so i could lower it some more and it changed the handling for the better.thats my own personal exprience,im not starting an arguement and wanting to upset anybody but i wont be buying a set of konis again.and as for maintenance how do you maintain a sealed unit,when they seize up and the top part of the adjuster twists so you can tell that it is seized up further down?also how many koni suspension units has mr rainbird had back under warranty due to manufacturing defects?nothings perfect.
Old 15-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by 155lee
the konis i had on my sapph were 3 months old when 1 of the fronts started leaking from where it adjusted,it was changed under warranty,they had done no more then 1000 miles(hardly used the car and werent changed for reliability issues i must add)and they were showing signs of rust,i fitted avo coilovers so i could lower it some more and it changed the handling for the better.thats my own personal exprience,im not starting an arguement and wanting to upset anybody but i wont be buying a set of konis again.and as for maintenance how do you maintain a sealed unit,when they seize up and the top part of the adjuster twists so you can tell that it is seized up further down?also how many koni suspension units has mr rainbird had back under warranty due to manufacturing defects?nothings perfect.
Lee,
What springs were you running on the Konis, as these should be matched to the dampers? If they are not, or if they are cut down items - this will make the dampers work harder (especially if they are too short). As to your question, in all the time I have been selling Konis (8 years), I have only had one be replaced. This was from a car that was left standing for several months, so was to be expected, as the seals go hard if they are not used and leak.

Paul,
The BAD ones are FAR superior to the LEDAs, as they actually were prepared to take on my requests for using high speed valving inside the dampers (where LEDA didn't want to do this). The finish is better as well .
Name:  BADCoilovers01-1.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  BADCoilovers02-1.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  BADCoilovers03-1.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  48.9 KB
Old 15-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Remko GT
Regular Contributor

What are the bumpstops fitted to these coilovers? Powerflex?
I haven't been able to find PU bumpstops for my car so fitted new Ford bumstops instead.
Old 15-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Part of the kit, so I don't know where they are sourced from.
Old 15-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

SPAX PSX kit is very good if you want adj dampers and uprated springs. I believe these are just as good as Koni and easily adjustable on the car.
Found them excellent on a 3dr.

Currenly got budget GAZ coilovers on Saff, for my ability of driving and no fancy beams on the car, they are fine.

Ignore shit about hard springs, they are so cheap to buy in a multitude of rates it is not an issue as they are so easily changed at little cost. This should not ba considered a stumbling block of buying coilovers provided the damper unit suits your needs.
Old 15-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Sideways_Sierra
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I'm going with AVO coiloves, as Im going for drifting more than road or track use, have KONI's at the mo and agree, theyre crap
Old 15-11-2007, 06:29 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

not sure what springs they were,if i remember rightly i bought the whole kit from jondel motorsport as a package.so it was just whatever they supplied.i was not impressed with the way the rears adjusted,the limited settings on the rear,the powdercoating and the fact most of the units you come across are seized.can you(if somebody ignores your advice)supply avo coilovers for a 2wd sapph with the correct spring rates,if so then how much?ta,lee
Old 15-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

not sure what springs they were,if i remember rightly i bought the whole kit from jondel motorsport as a package.so it was just whatever they supplied.i was not impressed with the way the rears adjusted,the limited settings on the rear,the powdercoating and the fact most of the units you come across are seized.can you(if somebody ignores your advice)supply avo coilovers for a 2wd sapph with the correct spring rates,if so then how much?ta,lee
I can supply them with what I personally think are the correct spring rates, but this would be for fast road / occasional track use. If you wanted more track use than road use, I would spec the springs differently, but what-ever you wanted, I could supply and price would be £525 delivered for the AVOs .
Old 15-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

mike

at what point do your rear shims come into play? is it anything below standard ride height?
Old 16-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

They come into play at any ride height, as they give the car some static toe-in, which makes it handle much better (as well as improving tyre wear by a significant amount - not COMPLETELY, but 50%, as the other is caused by excessiver camber and squat, which only a 6° rear beam would cure).
Old 16-11-2007, 08:32 AM
K.Goa

Have to agree with Mike here! After driving my mates car I seriously regret buying GAZ coilovers for mine.. Yes, the gaz stuff looks fine and I think the build-quality is OK, but the ride-quality sucks. Not because they are too harsh, but because the give a ridiculusly bouncy ride.. It feels like a car with cut springs and standard dampers.
So if I can fool someone in to buy my Gaz coilovers I'll defenently buy a Koni/Ahmed setup from mike!
Old 16-11-2007, 09:05 AM
silky16v
Get on That!

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
I can supply them with what I personally think are the correct spring rates, but this would be for fast road / occasional track use. If you wanted more track use than road use, I would spec the springs differently, but what-ever you wanted, I could supply and price would be £525 delivered for the AVOs .
What would you class as the correct springs poundage for road use Coilovers?

I run a 325lbs on the front & 250lbs rears
Old 16-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by K.Goa
Have to agree with Mike here! After driving my mates car I seriously regret buying GAZ coilovers for mine.. Yes, the gaz stuff looks fine and I think the build-quality is OK, but the ride-quality sucks. Not because they are too harsh, but because the give a ridiculusly bouncy ride.. It feels like a car with cut springs and standard dampers.
So if I can fool someone in to buy my Gaz coilovers I'll defenently buy a Koni/Ahmed setup from mike!
Not that I told you so - but I DID .
Old 16-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

are the Ahmed springs standard ride height?
Old 16-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Simmo

Just ordered the Koni/Ahmed kit with fast road springs... sound perfect for what i want!

Thanks again Mike

right what's next on the list....
Old 16-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by simmosaph
Just ordered the Koni/Ahmed kit with fast road springs... sound perfect for what i want!

Thanks again Mike

right what's next on the list....
think i am gonna order a set this afternoon, does he have them on the shelf?

think i am gonna get a set of rear shims too
Old 16-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Simmo

Originally Posted by DaBoy12s

think i am gonna order a set this afternoon, does he have them on the shelf?

think i am gonna get a set of rear shims too
Not sure about having them on the shelf...

I've heard nothing but good feedback on the rear shims, and at £10 it'd be rude not to... and they're easy to fit too!!!
Old 16-11-2007, 11:31 AM
K.Goa

Thats right Mike, should have listened to your advice! Anyway, my GAZ kit is for sale on my local foums..
Old 16-11-2007, 12:05 PM
K.Goa

And now they are sold Will talk to Mike in a couple of weeks about new springs, and som hoses and stuff
Old 16-11-2007, 03:49 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

how does the gaz stuff compare to avo kits?if i remember the gaz kit is like entry level for coilovers and not very expensive.i would be using my car for road use only.but i will be buying an adjustable rear beam when i get around to that part.but the £3000 colour change respray and the £1500 plie of nos ford parts and other goodies in my spare room means that i wont be buying much for a while!
Old 16-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Remko GT
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
They come into play at any ride height, as they give the car some static toe-in, which makes it handle much better
How much static toe-in? Is that also depending on the car? Mine is a 2WD.
My m8 is going to mod the rear trailing arms to compensate for the silly camber I got from lowering (it's not even on its wheels yet but already somewhere around -4 degrees) so might as well incorporate some toe-in as well if that's helping handling-wise.
He's come with a way to manage that without too much costs.

btw, thanks for the advice on the Castrol SRF. Found an distributor here in Holland.
Old 16-11-2007, 10:37 PM
CosKev3
PassionFord Post Troll

Mike Rainbird Whats your views on Eibach springs on a Saph??????
Just wondered cause got them on mine and really like them

Konis on both my Saphs have never given any bother,just put the rears straight onto the hardest setting though

Old 17-11-2007, 05:13 PM
K.Goa

I think the Eibach ones make the car sit a bit too low at the rear. They seem a bit soft aswell, but a nice fastroad set-up me thinks. Had it on my 2wd sapph some years ago.
Old 17-11-2007, 06:47 PM
trevCOSS
Advanced PassionFord User

Mike my rear konis are on the middle setting, I want to make them harder as they do seem a bit soft, which way do you turn them to make them harder? lost the instructions
Old 17-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Sideways_Sierra

think you hold the main yellow body and turn the upper shaft bit clockwise

am sure its written on the shock itself, so dont hold me to this
Old 17-11-2007, 06:51 PM
trevCOSS
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Sideways_Sierra
think you hold the main yellow body and turn the upper shaft bit clockwise

am sure its written on the shock itself, so dont hold me to this
I'll take them off tomorrow and have a look
Old 17-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Trev it is written on the shock bud, if you cant see it i will have a look at mine tomoro.
Old 17-11-2007, 08:15 PM
CosKev3
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by K.Goa
I think the Eibach ones make the car sit a bit too low at the rear. They seem a bit soft aswell, but a nice fastroad set-up me thinks. Had it on my 2wd sapph some years ago.
Soft Compared to the Spax ones I had on it when I bought it the Eibachs are stiffer
Sits level on mine too I think

Name:  100_0364.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  32.9 KB

Quick Reply: Coilovers vs Koni's/Bilstein's etc