Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Problem starting! Calling all 24hr PF tech heads!!

Search this Thread

Old 21-10-2007, 02:22 PM
RS_Gav
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem starting! Calling all 24hr PF tech heads!!

So... Just finished dropping the motor back in my 3dr after a bit of a tidy up. Everything is connected back up with no spare bits left over. (I know!!.. small miracle eh!)
Turned key to ignition and noticed the red engine management light is on. Gave it a second and it went off. System warning light check I thought. Turn the key to start and while cranking the same light came back on. Engine wouldnt start.....
Gave it another 2-3 goes and it would "nearly" start everytime but wouldnt quite fire. Fifth time success! Fired over and went straight to cold start idle up. But the light is still on. It does the same dance every time I have tried to start since.
Funny thing is when it does start everything seems fine. Idle is smooth and engine seems responsive enough on the go.
Being Sunday night and me being too inpatient not being able to wait to call my mechanic tomorrow morning!!! Im hoping he has the LED tester needed for the ECU to give the fault code! Cossies are a rare thing down here in OZ but the specific service tools are even rarer!!!

Any ideas here people. I thought timing but like I said once it starts it seems fine. Did the wiggle test on all the sensors.
Cheers
Old 24-10-2007, 01:49 PM
RS_Gav
Regular Contributor

Ok... I'll give you all a clue! Ha!

Had it running again tonight and even at idle it is almost dumping raw fuel out the exhaust! Super rich!
Out on the road it is obviously chewing the juice!!

Any takers?
Old 24-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Water temp sensor on the passenger side of the cylinder head at the back. I would try this.if its faulting when the engine is warm it thinks the engine is cold and puts more fuel in causing it to over fuel.
Old 27-10-2007, 03:32 AM
RS_Gav
Regular Contributor

Cheers mate, but Im afraid not. That was bout the only sensor I never pulled out in the clean up. Plug is in good nick.
Old 27-10-2007, 12:03 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

phase sensor alignment?
Old 28-10-2007, 10:56 AM
RS_Gav
Regular Contributor

I think you might be onto something there Mr JTech.
Went to the All Ford Day today (Pics to come soon in the gallery...) Struck a pretty big blow! It appears there are NO LED diognostics tools here in Perth!!
Did speak to a fellow Cossie owner who mentioned a very similar problem that related back to phase sensor.....

Next on my list to check out!

Cheers mate!
Old 28-10-2007, 12:40 PM
RS_Gav
Regular Contributor

Hey just one other point... While the motor was out I put a pair of Kent cam pulleys on. Had to time the motor back up in the usual way. I just set the pulleys to zero.
Is there anything that could have gone wrong from this??
Old 28-10-2007, 04:32 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cam timing wouldnt put the light on though......
Old 30-10-2007, 01:40 PM
mk2rstaff
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cant you buy the testers of ebay mate, i have seen something along them lines on there, surely your ford dealer must be able to upload some sort of data to plug into the thing
Old 31-10-2007, 01:34 PM
RS_Gav
Regular Contributor

Hmmm.... Will have a look at FleaBay for the LED tester for sure. Will give a dealer a call tomorrow and see what they say. I do have the service part number for said tester. I have a funny feeling I know what they will say but!! Remembering that Sierra's were never sold here in any form. Cossie or other.

Had a play tonight. Took the timing belt off and started again from scratch. Timed to the TEE now!
cleaned the conections on the phase sensor and had another wire jiggle and what do you know.... Started first time and the engine light went off!! Even idled smoother too. But.... I let it warm up and thought I might just turn it off and start again..... Back to its old ways. Wouldnt start and when did fire over, engine light is back on!

Does anyone know the resistance between the two wire in the phase sensor plug? Im thinking its more the wiring than the actual sensor??

Cheers again guys!
Old 31-10-2007, 05:06 PM
mk2rstaff
PassionFord Post Whore!!

flea bay a workshop manual on cd rom as well mate, they about 2 pounds
Old 31-10-2007, 10:21 PM
RS_Gav
Regular Contributor

Got that one already. I have all the codes that the tester is going to give me but just no LED tester!
Gong to see if I can rip the phase sensor off a mates 3dr.... See how that goes.
Old 31-10-2007, 11:16 PM
mk2rstaff
PassionFord Post Whore!!

must be a bit few and far between over there to swap bits to test them, hope it all works well for ya mate
Old 01-11-2007, 09:21 PM
cos 404

Hi mate,
saying that the timing is good, i would give a check the crank pulley sensor. Make sure it has no interferance between the sensor and the pulley teeth and that it has the correct clearance. It would be better if you try a new one