Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Front suspension top-mount bearings

Old 15-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Remko GT
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension top-mount bearings

This weekend I was putting together my front Koni-Apex struts and that raised a question with me about the top-mount bearings and about torqueing it up.
The thing is, when I finished building up the struts i noticed one of the bearings (situated between top-spring cup and the cup whereon the topmount bushing lies) is running rough.
Have I overtorqued the top nuts or are the bearings just worn out? Wouldn't susprise me on a 17-year old open bearing.

Does anybody know if these bearings are still available from Ford and does anybody know the torque for the (semi) top nut. I've called it semi-top nut because it's not really the top nut because the top nut is in the engine bay. To be more specific, I mean the nut that holds the entire shock-spring assembly together. I hope that makes sense.
It appeared to me the nut is turned down as far as possible so the threaded part protrudes into the engine bay as far as possible. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance
Old 15-10-2007, 10:37 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is correct as you describe, the bearings can be greased, that's all I usually do, but I did buy a pair of the bearings about 4 years ago for another car as they were all rusted.
I just do them up to normal tightness don't worry about torque so long as tight as you would expect a nut iof that size to be.
tabetha
Old 15-10-2007, 01:39 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

you can tighten them up until the nut gets to the end of the threaded bit of the damper rod

or use an air gun to make oubly sure it won't come apart
Old 15-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Remko GT
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer doing such delicate jobs by had in stead of using an air-gun. I figured that nut can't go anywhere anyway so tightening it up with a spanner is tight enough.

Thanks lads, it's all clear now.

I ordered new bearings today to be on the safe side. They cost about 8 Euro a piece so might as well replace them. After all, I replaced almost all bushings and bearings on my car, the ones not yet replaced will be, would be silly not to, right?
Old 16-10-2007, 05:50 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For that price you might as well, then as you say you know everything is done.
tabetha