Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Hi

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Rudel
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi

Hi all wonder if you could help? i am a '92 4 wheel saff, that is running stage 1 i think with dump valve and intercooler (uprated) i have not had the car too long and am no expert on these ( had a few rs2's ) in the past.

Ok here goes....

The car drives fine boosts well etc etc but has developed a wierd "warbling" noise from the turbo area i think? only does it while driving not out of gear standing? so is very hard to id the area?

Also not long after it has started to smoke while standing (but only when revved up) whitish smoke, is this the turbo? as there is hardly any movement in the shaft back forth or in and out? iol seals?
The car does not really smoke too bad when driving (or at lease i cant see it) but after putting my foot down or coming off the motorway when coming to an island or lights etc, it will "puff" out a good cloud as i pull away then clear?????? till the next time i stop?

Any help would be great cheeRS

Lee
Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
Hi all wonder if you could help? i am a '92 4 wheel saff, that is running stage 1
.....ive never met a car that used the net

The warbling noise...check your dumpvalves operation..it ma be sticking slightly so the noise your hearing is compressor surge when you shift gear.

The smoking problem could either be turbo or vlave stem seals and/or guides. May also be oil control rings and the very worst. Forum diagnostics are quite difficult in these cases.

Stu.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Rudel
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Hi the noise is coming from the turbo side my dump valve is the other, it does not sound like actuator chatter more like a bird warbling? could it be the actuator? i know it is hard to id but any ideas might help me along the way.

Cheers

I should teach the car to type these messages lol it costs me enough money he he
Old 07-10-2007, 11:00 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the dump valve is sticking slightly then the air charge when you shut the throttle to change gear has no where to go but back thru the system..the noise you are most proberbly hearing is the sound of this forced back boost charge being chopped up by the compressor impellor blades. I aint got a clue as to what actuator chatter is? Unless you mean a loose actuator thats rattling or a loose penny washer?? I know you dont mean waste gate chatter cos you said you've got a actuator so its not an externaly gated turbo.