Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

DODGY BRAND NEW MAP SENSOR ?

Search this Thread

Old 27-08-2007, 07:48 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DODGY BRAND NEW MAP SENSOR ?

Has anyone else had a BRAND NEW 3 bar map sensor that was duff ?, or is it just my bad luck ?
thanks all
tabetha
Old 27-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Tommen
My pet is Moonstone blue!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DODGY BRAND NEW MAP SENSOR ?

Originally Posted by tabetha
Has anyone else had a BRAND NEW 3 bar map sensor that was duff ?, or is it just my bad luck ?
thanks all
tabetha
Yes! I have a new 3bar that dont work
strange?!
Old 27-08-2007, 08:04 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Think I might have the same too, pretty sure, going to try old (OK) two bar on just to see if it starts runs any better but not take it down the road.
My one is so bad it misses like mental when it starts, got a few other things to try first, but going to buy a vac pump and test it as well.
Thanks for the reply, not just me who's unlucky then!!, still got my receipt so will get changed if duff as only 6 weeks old.
tabetha
Old 27-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Sideways_Sierra
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how can u tell it doesnt work ?
Old 28-08-2007, 05:54 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Just got symptoms of harsh cutting at certain loads/speeds, so going to connect up metres, volts/MHG and drive it to see if it loses signal if they don't detect anything from vac pump.
tabetha
Old 28-08-2007, 09:23 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is why secs monitors are worth their weight in gold
Old 28-08-2007, 01:39 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

SECS monitor don't make me laugh, good joke though.
Vacuum pump and multi metre does the job, IF it is that.
tabetha
Old 28-08-2007, 01:54 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ah yes cant beat the old mittie vac
Old 28-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Tommen

Hmm.. Mine started just fine.. but died after 4-5 seconds!
took me some time to figure out what caused the problem!
Old 28-08-2007, 04:18 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

And the problem was....
Old 28-08-2007, 06:47 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

dont see what the joke is?

if a map sensor has a fault a secs monitor would show it,

yes use a vac/pressure pump if needed but the secs display would show any dead spots in the sweep, or show an open circuit. it has on mine several times

this is normally the attitude of people that dont have them , as i do and its a fantastic diagnostic tool.

just a week ago i noticed a problem with the tps ,before i had any problems on the road. without the secs i would have just driven on unaware there was a problem untill it let me down. i wouldnt be without one now. as they check all the sensors, all of the time, even when you dont THINK you have a problem
Old 29-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Tommen

Originally Posted by cozmeister
And the problem was....
The gear gaitor!
Old 29-08-2007, 04:59 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

A monitor will only do just that monitor.
The problem with sensors is that they will a lot of the time NOT be seen as faulty as they are within range, like CTS the secs is not clever enough to know that after 30 mins of driving it really should not still be rich like a cold engine etc.
This is one of the MAJOR problems with computer control, fine when its going right but even worse when wrong.
A lot of people are stumped therefore when computer says ok but car runs like a bag of shit.
As sensors by thier very nature are VARIABLE, unless you the driver notices that at a certain rpm/load/temperature that the AFR(for example) should be such and such you are no wiser, I just prefer the old fashioned way.
As for a map having a dead spot if you can't feel it then a secs will confuse you even more, and it will be no doubt be onto the phone of someone who does not what they are doing to fix anyway.
tabetha
Old 29-08-2007, 07:34 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

i think you are confusing a secs monitor with a code reader,
i am well aware that incorrect sensor feedback does not itself log a fault, as they are still within working parameters, but thats not how a secs monitor works

a monitor will monitor all readings and display them to the user ,so yes if my car was running for 30mins and still showing a cold reading i would know instntly, because the ect(cts) temp wouldnt move

the monitor doesnt decide if its ok or not ,but displays real time info from all the sensors. i decide if they are cdorrect or not

the tps had a dead spot in the sweep on mine

ie my tps had a dead spot between 26% and 32% in the sweep, it just simply jumped the gap, i would never have known unless i looked at the display and noticed it. yes i could have found the fault with a multimeter, but why would i look if i didnt suspect a fault?

all the readings from the sensors the ecu is seeing, are displayed to you LIVE vias the secs monitor, its simply a decoder to make the info understandable, rather than just a voiltage signal.

it is exactly like having a mulitimeter on ALL the sensors ALL the time, so im confused as to your reply?

though the monitor WILL give you an open circuit warning, ie if a plug is off
Old 29-08-2007, 08:24 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

I do know what a SECS is, an am not confusing it with the eqally useless code readers.
I just think they are a waste of space, that is MY opinion.
I do not see the need for driver distraction, if there is no problem that you can feel, if you can't feel it is it worth worrying about and buying a monitor in the hope that it will tell you something, IF something goes wrong, and you notice it telling you.
I just have other things to spend my money on, it is up to each to make thier own mind up, if I did want to monitor these things I would certainly not choose a SECS to do it, but I don't want to so that is irrelevant.
tabetha
Old 29-08-2007, 10:45 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Originally Posted by Tommen
Originally Posted by cozmeister
And the problem was....
The gear gaitor!
Old 30-08-2007, 07:21 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

I do know what a SECS is, an am not confusing it with the eqally useless code readers.
I just think they are a waste of space, that is MY opinion.
I do not see the need for driver distraction, if there is no problem that you can feel, if you can't feel it is it worth worrying about and buying a monitor in the hope that it will tell you something, IF something goes wrong, and you notice it telling you.
I just have other things to spend my money on, it is up to each to make thier own mind up, if I did want to monitor these things I would certainly not choose a SECS to do it, but I don't want to so that is irrelevant.
tabetha
so if a problem you cant feel isnt worth worrying about, why do people use wideband meters to measure afr at the top? because you certainly cant feel a 13-1 afr which is enough to melt an engine at 30psi, if a faulty map sensor wasnt giving the ecu full readings this could well happen, and a secs monitor would notice it straight away, its ok cos i didnt feel a problem, what a fantastic attiude

the point of these monitors is to prevent damage, noticing fault BEFORE they cause damage, certainly worth having imo. its saved me time and money several times.

it also holds peak data, so if you dont want to be distracted you can look at the data later, aswell as having user set warnings, so if a sensor goes over or under a set limit, the unit will give visual and audiable warnings, very handy if the alternator stops charging as you can spot it early, or if the charge or coolant temp goes higher than normall.
Old 30-08-2007, 08:25 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

I am not going to continually debate the right or wrong of having a peice of kit(SECS), frankly I have better things to do with my time.
I do NOT have to justify to you or anyone else why I do not want one, and any "attitude" I MAY have does nnot affect you so mind YOUR own business, as I do mine.
I am happy that you have a different opinion, it's called personal choice, but at least I have the decency to respect the choice others make, and do NOT attempt to ridicule them for it.
If you want to go around with a SECS do so, but unlike soem I am not going to be a sheep.
I mus admit I have never heard of a car going bang just because it has a secs, or rather in spite of it!!
Do you seriously think that if you engaged in a battle with another car ie on track with the noise etc that you are going to notice a secs warning ?, BEFORE the pistons melt.
You will notice that I said that IF I had a device like this it would not be a secs, I never said I would not have warning devices.
tabetha
Old 30-08-2007, 08:28 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Do you seriously think that if you engaged in a battle with another car ie on track with the noise etc that you are going to notice a secs warning ?, BEFORE the pistons melt.

tabetha
amazingly the last time a mate was on track he did notice a fault, whos to say if it would have caused damage if he hadnt noticed it but it was spotted before it even had the chance to. so yes, an audiable waring and a flashing light helped him to notice when we traced the fault it was an intermittent break in the map signal wire, this was at ford fair

and im not saying anyone has to have one, all i said was, when it comes to sensor faults a secs monitor is worth its weight in gold, which when i can now diagnose any sensor faults without lifting a finger imo is very true

there is one bad point about them, they fit where the clock should be, but the secs unit doesnt have a clock