Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

engine rebuild think they taking the p@@@

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:22 AM
320 bhp
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine rebuild think they taking the p@@@

took my engine to well known engine builder up our way over 2months ago and still not built first was told crank shoot so new 1 found then 3weeks later told block was no good so new 1 found then 2 week later told pistons no good would of thouight a good engine builder would of checked and measured enerythink first????
Old 06-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Kevin B
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand your frustrations mate, however, do you think its a good idea to post them here, while the build is still in progress?

Maybe better to write about it after the build once everything has been sorted and you actually have your engine back

Is said parts are scrap, I would be asking for them back if it was me
Old 06-07-2007, 11:41 AM
320 bhp

getting that sick mate im really thinking about busting the 3dr it was my pride and joy, but this has gone from a rebuild taking few week to over a few months and everytime i ring there finding more,more things wrong shurely when you strip you would measure everythink and see whats good and not just spend 2k getting full car painted think it will be in bits very soon
Old 06-07-2007, 12:13 PM
shanemc
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

i know how u feel alright but thats seems to be the way it is sometimes when owning these cars.my sapphire has been off the road the last two months cos of diff problems,the original diff got noisy,got that reconditioned,was on the road a week then it blew!off the road again,sourced 7.5"diff,beam etc locally but most of em were damaged of unfit for use.waiting on parts to come over from uk now so hopefully will be finally back on the road soon.its a pain in the arse but its worth it in the end when u finally drive it out of the garage!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

My engine rebuild took ages too, and was the same - needed new block and crank and pistons - different garage though.

Just calm down and look forward to getting it back, then you have to drive like an old lady for 1000 miles to run it in
Old 06-07-2007, 05:42 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is complete crap to be honest.
If they know what they are doing, and lets face it a cossie is not exactly a hard engine to do by any stretch of the imagination, they should strip measure report, job done.
Either they are morons or taking you for a ride.
If you needed these new parts I hope you got the old ones back ?
You strip and engine then look at every bit, write on a notepad what you need as you go along, then buy bits.
Machine shops can be busy, but yours does not sound like it has had ANY machining done yet ?
I would guess that all they have done is strip it and send the bits to a machine shop for evaluation, that could take a while I suppose but no need for it.
Seriously DEMAND the old bits back if not take it to your shed garage and do it yourself, can you wire a plug, if so then it really isn't much harder.
Ok that's an exaggeration , but it is easy to do, clean working environment is the key, and if not sure ASK, better to ask 100's of times and get it right, than not ask and it goes bang.
Of course you will need to get any machining done somewhere.
If you have more than about 50,000 you will be looking at GUIDES/ex valves.
Any decent machine shop if you go along will say yes no to any bits that are worth keeping, and the advantage is if you get bits from them they are not going to use crap, as they don't want you back.
Example my EXHAUST valves are NOT cossie ones but VAUXHALL ones, machined down, (still sodium filled) and still cheaper.
A good machine shop is worth it's weight in gold, ask around local garages which machine shop they use.
tabetha
Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 PM
320 bhp

ive build a few rst engine myself but was told about these people supostd to be top builders been on front of fast ford ect aways have big stand at all the rs shows,took eng out my self bores looked mint as did the pistons,so took it through to them they striped it then phoned said they striped it and the crank is shoot but pistons need a ring pack so i thought excellent,then 2weeks later i phoned them then they tell me the blocks shoot so new 1 found then phone them again 2 week later they tell me the pistons are worn so i getting really pissed of now
Old 06-07-2007, 07:34 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds bollocks to me fella!these are all things anyone with half mechanical knowledge should spot on the strip down imo!!!!!!who doing the work?PM me if u dont want to wrie it on here?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:37 PM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chris you need to chill,you took the bits down and said no rush.
You knew that they where very bizzy ,i have had a head there for a freind to be checked out for months .
There are lots of other factors to take into account too whith you may, or may not be aware of
When mine went i said i needed it in 2 weeks and got exactly that.
Have you spoken recently to the builder?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:43 PM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by righthooker
Chris you need to chill,you took the bits down and said no rush.
You knew that they where very bizzy ,i have had a head there for a freind to be checked out for months .
There are lots of other factors to take into account too whith you may, or may not be aware of
When mine went i said i needed it in 2 weeks and got exactly that.
Have you spoken recently to the builder?
I have a good mate and his engine is at a very very well known builder on this site and it has been over 10 months
Old 06-07-2007, 09:00 PM
320 bhp

he said looking at about a few weeks thats why i said no rush just fell like im getting the piss took out of me phoned them thursday and usuall answer they phone me in a few weeks but never happens bit gutted really as ive heard nothing but good reports till i took my engine but was speaking to a few people lately and they telling me different,hows yr engine
Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tbh it doesnt sound like your pissed off with the wait but more so about the never ending rise on the final bill...which is fully understandable. As said before, the whole engine should have been stripped for a complete assessment then the job quoted as a whole...not done in dribs and drabs, its just very unprofessional. Most of the work I do is engine warranty rebuilds for a Vauxhall dealership..we cant keep going back and saying it needs this and that and possibly a set of these, we'd just get laughed at
Old 07-07-2007, 04:02 AM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

well you think you've had it hard let me tell u my story.

1 year a go I bought a 2wd saph with a supposed rebuilt engine.
after some crazy oil consumption, I stripped the engine down to see what was going on,, and as expected the bores were so badly worn.
I bought a 200 block, reused most of the 205 block parts, crank, spray bar etc etc.... I bought a bran new t34 turbo, my crank was polished, and the bottom end was lightneed balanced,, with new ggr cosworth forged pistons. Spent just over Ł2 in parts.. It took me 6 months to get the engine all together and ready and in the car,,, with time and money... 700 miles iNTO RUNNING THE ENGINE IN,,, My oil pressure dropped. I toook sump off and i realised my engine was now buggered.
So i took the engine out and rebuilt the original 205 block that was orignally in there..... 1 year later its in the car,,, and im running the engine in at the moment.....

Don't talk about breaking a car up just cos it owes u money,,,
ITS a COSTWORTH at the end of the day... I still love them tho.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:00 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cossieDavedree
I bought a 200 block, reused most of the 205 block parts, crank, spray bar etc etc.... I bought a bran new t34 turbo, my crank was polished, and the bottom end was lightneed balanced,, with new ggr cosworth forged pistons. Spent just over Ł2 in parts..
Passionford bargain hunter of the year 2007?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:35 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 320 bhp
he said looking at about a few weeks thats why i said no rush just fell like im getting the piss took out of me phoned them thursday and usuall answer they phone me in a few weeks but never happens bit gutted really as ive heard nothing but good reports till i took my engine but was speaking to a few people lately and they telling me different,hows yr engine
After your pm ,i know who you have been talking to,and seeing as how the blokes got issues with me it dont suprise me that he is slagging them off.

In your pm you say you have heard i am having problems with my engine ,facts are i have done 3k miles 1 trip to the ring,and 4 track days included.
All i needed was an oil change ,the ignition amp was faulty and i wanted the fueling setting again.So i think with the abuse my car has had it is doing quite well.

But if you want to listen to rumors of scumbags thats up to you mate .

Still like i said ,Have you actualy said to them that the build IS TAKING to LONG I dont think so ,and now you are involving people who dont know the crack.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:03 PM
K.Goa

2 months is like a nano-second in the enginebuilder world, hang in and hang on the phone and get it trough!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:13 AM
cossieboyIOW
Part of the Furniture

i have done about 2000 miles in the last 2 and a half years due to the garage "fixing" my cossie so youre not the only one mate
Old 08-07-2007, 08:39 AM
allsteel

Sounds like bollocks to me.If you thought the parts were ok get down there and see for yourself incase he's ripping you off.Then ask for a completion date.If you're not happy with either just pick the parts up go elsewhere.Then name and shame if he's a rip off merchant.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:18 AM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think some off these so called top tuners are just bodge artists i recently took my head off and found an amazing piece of bodgery on the head and i know for a fact a very big tuner was the last to have the head off oh and i not sayin there all bad but it makes you wonder
Old 10-07-2007, 04:07 PM
silky16v
Get on That!

Build it yourself fuking paying for some1 else to do it