Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

sierra saphire rs cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 22-05-2007, 09:22 PM
simonskinner
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sierra saphire rs cosworth

electric fans are on too long - read somewhere that fuse or relay can burn out, any suggestions?

Ford garage recently snapped off temp gauge sender and will not replace as means taking off head!!
Old 22-05-2007, 09:41 PM
1_robbo

Had this prob myself once.
From memory i think the fans were staying on as the engine was getting too hot, flushed the radiator out with a hose, refilled with coolant and it cured it.
Prob just one of many things it could be.
Good luck
Old 23-05-2007, 05:50 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you really going to accepth that??????
FORD GARAGE broke the sender, IT IS TOTALLY DOWN TO THEM.
And the head does NOT have to come off to fit it either.
Temp guage sender is NOTHING to do with FANS at all.
The fans have their own switch in the bottom of the radiator, which is TOTALLY INDEPENDANT of the guage or sender to the guage.
If the fans are coming on then going off after a while then the fan switch is working ok.
It would do no harm to flush out etc, I got mine to run a lot cooler taking of the air divertor between the intercooler and radiator, made a world of difference.
If you are going to flush I use Wynns flush and leave in for a few weeks first, then you would need to take off your expansion tank and get all the crud out as it accumulates here.
The wires, or rather the fuseholder does indeed MELT, I replaced it with a seperate relay entirely disconnecting and taping up the old wires.
Very easy to do, I tripped mine negatively so that fan runs after engine shut down if needed, but with manual overide switch through another SPST relay, so that it can't be left on as second relay energises with ignition.
tabetha
PS GET YOUR BACKSIDE DOWN TO THE DEALER AND GET THENM TO FIX IT FOC, or at least report them to ford customer services.
If you went into a chinses for food and they served you dog poo would you accept it ?, sorry if this sounds harsh but there are too many peoiple getting away with too much who should know better.
Old 24-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Smoker
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Default nightmare

too right get dwn 2 the dealers n get them to sort it! no nonsense
Old 25-05-2007, 08:04 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
I got mine to run a lot cooler taking of the air divertor between the intercooler and radiator, made a world of difference.
i wouldn't recomend that. ford obviously put that there fore a reason, they're not in the habit of putting parts on cars that cost money but do nothing

if airflow to your rad was increased, that means that it was reduced to your intercooler
Old 01-06-2007, 12:55 PM
simonskinner
Virgin

Default electric fans

The temp gauge sender is just another problem they left me with - fans were on all the time, now not at all, do you know where the relay is?

Cooling system is very oily, after garage fitted new oil cooler which blew up after they fitted new heater matrix - Ford Customer Service tried to sort out problem for a month, then gave up!

I've now got a car with no temp gauge, no fans, oil in water and they want me to pay an additional £200. (paid £350 for Heater Matrix).

I have now fitted temp sender to top hose which quickly warned me of no fans.

Are you really going to accepth that??????
FORD GARAGE broke the sender, IT IS TOTALLY DOWN TO THEM.
And the head does NOT have to come off to fit it either.
Temp guage sender is NOTHING to do with FANS at all.
The fans have their own switch in the bottom of the radiator, which is TOTALLY INDEPENDANT of the guage or sender to the guage.
If the fans are coming on then going off after a while then the fan switch is working ok.
It would do no harm to flush out etc, I got mine to run a lot cooler taking of the air divertor between the intercooler and radiator, made a world of difference.
If you are going to flush I use Wynns flush and leave in for a few weeks first, then you would need to take off your expansion tank and get all the crud out as it accumulates here.
The wires, or rather the fuseholder does indeed MELT, I replaced it with a seperate relay entirely disconnecting and taping up the old wires.
Very easy to do, I tripped mine negatively so that fan runs after engine shut down if needed, but with manual overide switch through another SPST relay, so that it can't be left on as second relay energises with ignition.
tabetha
PS GET YOUR BACKSIDE DOWN TO THE DEALER AND GET THENM TO FIX IT FOC, or at least report them to ford customer services.
If you went into a chinses for food and they served you dog poo would you accept it ?, sorry if this sounds harsh but there are too many peoiple getting away with too much who should know better.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:44 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

foreigneRS,
The air deflector is there to make sure air goes through the inter cooler, if the engine overheats first it is of no relevance!!, are you seriously believing that ford or any other manufacturer gets it right all the time ?
Must be why they gave the 4x4 bonnet vents then ?, presumably to cool the extra driveshafts, oh and a different water pump, with nearly twice the capacity, oh and a different head(waterways), oh and a different thermostat, oh and a different inter cooler, and all for 20 odd hp increase.
No it was because of the same reason that SOUTHAMPTON UNIVERSITY sent loads of engines back, the inefficient cooling system allowed head gaskets to blow too easy.
There have been monumental cock ups in car design, look at scoobs with and inter cooler in the hottest place, just for example.
tabetha
Old 01-06-2007, 02:00 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

foreigneRS,
The air deflector is there to make sure air goes through the inter cooler,
like i said

if the cooling system is properly maintained and working correctly, it will give adequate cooling with the air deflector in place and give proper intercooling

i don't know much about underbonnet cooling or anything - i only run a climatic wind tunnel that ford amongst others use. you obviously know far more about it than me
Old 01-06-2007, 03:09 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

It is very easy to be sarcastic, ford put out a car before it was ready, to catch sales, they have done in the past and will do so again, as has pretty much most manufacturers.
Have you never heard of recalls ?
As a very experienced person in this field tell me have you ever heard of a head hasket going on a cossie with perfect cooling as mine had, if you have not you want to get out more, as there are loads.
Let us assume that ford know what they are doing then, which one is correct THE COOLING SYSTEM ON 4WD OR 2WD ?
They are both totally different, why the change.
Ford are not a particularly good brand they make mistakes like anyone else, as COSWORTH did.
I am waiting for YOU to tell me why the change ?
It is very easy to design a car that does NOT see REAL WORLD CONDITIONS, and spends it's life on a track, the public are the REAL TEST, as ford know as they did enough headgaskets under warranty, even coming up with an improved part called a YBO611.
Sorry no they didn't as they don't get things wrong.
The last new ford I drove had a list of 7 recalls at the age of two years, but I am sure they were not just spending money for the sake of it ?
If the product was properly develoiped it would not happen, and recalls would not exist why do they ?
Can you name a single CAR or MANUFACTURER that has never had a recall due their having such a a perfect product to start with ?
tabetha
Old 01-06-2007, 03:48 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

it is also very easy to waffle on

my original point was that making changes to improve one thing can make things worse for another.

i'm not arguing with you that improvements can take place during a model's lifespan due to development in the real world, or that recalls happen (whether they are design flaws or quality faults is another matter). but that is not what this topic is about
Old 01-06-2007, 03:51 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

another thing tabetha - why didn't you ask if his is a 2wd or a 4x4?and if it's a 2wd, suggest that he change his cooling system to the later 'improved' 4x4 one?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

I work for a japanese car company n there is a recal for wheel trims cause they r apparently catching the tyre valve n cutting though the valve causing the tyre 2 go flat (japanese reliabilty) they carnt even make a set of wheel trims. Sorry i know its got nothing 2 do with cossies.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:18 PM
simonskinner
Virgin

Default sapphire cooling problems

Can I email you privately a letter I am just about to send to RMIF - iwould really appreciate your expert advice.

Simon