Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Discs welded on for eternity.... Brake upgrade advice pls

Search this Thread

Old 16-05-2007, 06:41 PM
alhuyshe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discs welded on for eternity.... Brake upgrade advice pls

Front discs on my 4x4 just WON'T come off. Been hitting them SO hard, and not a whisper of them taking any notice whatsoever. Tried lots of heat, too.

So it looks like I'm going to need new hubs....

It's not the time for me to be spending, but I'm wondering if now isn't the time to sort the brakes out properly anyway. Tighten my belt and get the money from somewhere. I've never been happy with them. Don't get me wrong, they're really top class brakes up to a point. Progressive, strong, nicely balanced. Up to a point. And the point is the speeds I drive, and if I do eventually get round to the promised 24v swop then I'd want to upgrade first anyway.

It only takes a couple of hard goes braking from 100+ down to fifty odd and they heat up, stop sliding properly, then warp the disc. And after four or five such slows they fade completely. I guess they've been getting so hot there's no chance they're gonna come off.

So new hubs.

OR...... Cosworth hubs, calipers , plus the discs and pads I'd need anyway. But first I need bigger wheels, as I think they won't fit in a 14". Sure, bigger wheels is on the list of future changes, but.... It's all mounting up round the three hundred mark, and all I needed was new pads.

Are there any other simple upgrades I've missed? I don't know Fords that well, to be honest, being a recent convert from Italian exotica. Any other way of getting a twin pot (at least) caliper on them?
Old 16-05-2007, 06:54 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

4x4 cossie brakes would fit and to be honest i think any 4x4 hubs will fit, they don't need to be cossie ones as the brakes will fit either way.

Although 4x4 cossie brakes are only single pot, however they are larger so would need 15's to clear them

You could possibly fit 2wd calipers as they are 4 pots, but i'm not sure if its a simple conversion. Can't see why not though. Again you'll need 15inch wheels
Old 16-05-2007, 07:26 PM
cosrep
PassionFord Regular

The same thing happened on a civic I was working on a few weeks ago - damm discs just would'nt come off no matter what. Got a large grinder out and cut into the hub face of the disc just to the side of the hub nut, dont cut all the way leave about 1 mm of metal in contact with the hub face. Now cut down through the disc surface its self either side of the line you've cut into the hub surface. You should have a straight line that appers to go all the way through the disc. A couple of smacks of a hammer and the disc will bend and pop straight off.
Old 17-05-2007, 08:18 AM
alhuyshe

Originally Posted by xr_craig
4x4 cossie brakes would fit and to be honest i think any 4x4 hubs will fit, they don't need to be cossie ones as the brakes will fit either way.

Although 4x4 cossie brakes are only single pot, however they are larger so would need 15's to clear them

You could possibly fit 2wd calipers as they are 4 pots, but i'm not sure if its a simple conversion. Can't see why not though. Again you'll need 15inch wheels
Ahh! I didn't know the 4x4 Cossie brakes were single pot too. So they're the same apart from being a bigger disc diameter?

In the VW world there's many a kit to extend the caliper mounting brackets so's bigger discs can be used. Would I even need cossie hubs? If the 2wd cossie brakes are four pot, I would assume the conversion's been done many a time if it is easy.

Someone must know?

As to the cutting away, yes, I'll try that. But first I want to get all my options clear, as if I cut away and damage the hub I've got no transport until I source a new hub! And if I'm going to do all the work of cutting and maybe having to replace the hub anyway, do I really want to end up with the same brakes that warp and overheat and then WON'T COME OFF!! AGAIN!!
Old 17-05-2007, 08:19 AM
LeviA
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Yup I'd agree with Cosrep here, done the same in the past on a Pug 405 (not mine was working for Peugeot at the time!)

Grinder straight down the disc face then belt it off with a hammer, show it no mercy!!
Old 17-05-2007, 11:17 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Should be fine with the hubs you've got mate - providing you can get the discs off.

I don't see why 2wd calipers shouldn't fit. As it happens i've got a spare hub and some 2wd calipers, and i think my mate has some 4x4 discs so if i get chance i'll stick it all together to see if it fits
Old 18-05-2007, 02:15 AM
alhuyshe

That'd be good. Someone (on here) once told me that I had to change to cosworth hubs to fit cosworth calipers. Was that just because he had some cosworth hubs he wanted to sell?
Old 18-05-2007, 06:09 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

more than likely mate as i'm sure they are the same
Old 19-05-2007, 08:27 AM
alhuyshe

As it happens i've got a spare hub and some 2wd calipers, and i think my mate has some 4x4 discs so if i get chance i'll stick it all together to see if it fits
Got no right to ask, but I'd be grateful if it's possible for you to do this. How likely is it? Wishful thinking or reality?

Cheers, mate,

Al
Old 19-05-2007, 05:17 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 pots(cossie) go STRAIGHT ON with just tapping the hole in lug for bolt, may need a 1mm or 2mm washer under lug just to PERFECTLY centralise though.
Just cut a line from discs outer edge inwards, to hub flange and they will almost fall off as this loosens grip, for really tight ones try mondeo!!
tabetha
Old 19-05-2007, 11:40 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by alhuyshe
As it happens i've got a spare hub and some 2wd calipers, and i think my mate has some 4x4 discs so if i get chance i'll stick it all together to see if it fits
Got no right to ask, but I'd be grateful if it's possible for you to do this. How likely is it? Wishful thinking or reality?

Cheers, mate,

Al
Shouldn't be a problem, just need to see my mate