Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Timing marks?

Search this Thread

Old 28-04-2007, 07:25 PM
cosrep
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing marks?

I'm changing the head gasket on a 2wd saff and so naturally also doing the timing belt. It does'nt really matter at this piont but I lined up the timing mark on the crank pulley and the only other mark that lined up was the distributor, both cam pulleys and the oil pump mark were off.

When I'm putting the head back on how do I align the cams in relation to TDC no.1 piston? And will the oil pump mark being off affect anything?
Old 28-04-2007, 07:35 PM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the timing mark on the pulley isn't the V notch - line the trailing edge of the lug immediately after the V notch up with the front oil seal indicator, the cam pulleys should then line up, as should the centre of the rotor arm with the notch in the dizzy body

the auxilliary shaft alignment is irrelevant
Old 28-04-2007, 08:11 PM
cosrep
PassionFord Regular

Thats the one I used, the left hand edge of the oil seal indicator is lined up with the left hand edge of the raised lug on the crank pulley.
When its like this the centre of the rotor arm is aligned with the mark on the dizzy but the crank pulleys are off.
Old 28-04-2007, 08:42 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said aux shaft is irrelevant so long as pulley mark lines up with the notch on the cover lines up with the lug nearest he "V" mark and cams point in to each other, and of course the rotor arm lines up with the dizzy line, the dizzy can be up to 4 degrees off and be ok.
tabetha
Old 28-04-2007, 10:37 PM
dbailey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The image below shows the timing marks as you should have them, how far out are your cam pulleys when the crank pulley is timed up ? Are you sure you are not 360 degrees out on the crank timing ?

Name:  TimingMarks.jpg
Views: 2867
Size:  50.1 KB

When I'm putting the head back on how do I align the cams in relation to TDC no.1 piston?
Time crankshaft up, as per the timing mark, time cam pulleys up as per the timing marks, line rotor arm up as per line on dizzy, and there you go !

Make sure you've got the marks all lined up correctly, before fitting cyl. head or you might bend the valves when replacing head, or you could put all 4 pistons level with each other, fit cyl head, torque down, then time the cams up as per the marks, then turn crankshaft clockwise to the timing mark, set dizzy marks then fit belt.....
Hope this helps
Cheers
David
The following users liked this post:
rob w (04-06-2016)
Old 30-04-2007, 09:23 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

aux shaft is not irrelevant. important to get it right to line up the dizzy cap, otherwise it can be very troublesome to remove due to inlet manifold position
Old 30-04-2007, 02:00 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

If the dizzy has been out it can back in all manner of positions relative tom the timing mark on the aux shaft and still be 100% perfectly timed, with the cap in PRECISELY THE SAME POSITION, this is what people are reffering to.
BTW, they are a pain in the arse on 2wd anyway.
tabetha
Old 15-02-2010, 11:33 PM
chriscossie

Default dizzy

Originally Posted by dbailey
The image below shows the timing marks as you should have them, how far out are your cam pulleys when the crank pulley is timed up ? Are you sure you are not 360 degrees out on the crank timing ?

Time crankshaft up, as per the timing mark, time cam pulleys up as per the timing marks, line rotor arm up as per line on dizzy, and there you go !

Make sure you've got the marks all lined up correctly, before fitting cyl. head or you might bend the valves when replacing head, or you could put all 4 pistons level with each other, fit cyl head, torque down, then time the cams up as per the marks, then turn crankshaft clockwise to the timing mark, set dizzy marks then fit belt.....
Hope this helps
Cheers
David
hello mate can you tell me what the degrees is on the discap as my car wont run under is own steam put you can rev it put as soon as you let go of the throttle it stops runing put if you turn it two much one way it wont start and if you turn it two much the other way it wont run properly can you help me

thanks chris.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:39 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chriscossie
hello mate can you tell me what the degrees is on the discap as my car wont run under is own steam put you can rev it put as soon as you let go of the throttle it stops runing put if you turn it two much one way it wont start and if you turn it two much the other way it wont run properly can you help me

thanks chris.
you need a timing strobe light to set it properly mate i wouldnt have thought it would cause you car to cut out either (tho i could be wrong)
so you may have another fault as well
Old 10-10-2010, 08:16 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

date!!
and totally incorrect info, timing cannot be altered by cap position, it's set by the cps.
tabetha

Last edited by tabetha; 10-10-2010 at 08:17 PM.