Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

3 Door fuse Box

Search this Thread

Old 23-04-2007, 04:44 PM
C0S_TURBO
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Door fuse Box

Hi, I have been having strange electrical problems since I put my 3 Door away for winter. Hazards/indicators not working, heater fan intermittent and rad fan not working. Rad is getting hot all round, tried 2 new switches in the rad now, fans work if given a direct 12V feed. If I short out the wire to the rad fans nothing, but if I put 12V to one side of the fuse they come on. Also found a couple of blown fuses. So how hard it is to take out a 3 door fuse box, and can they be replaced? Phoned local Ford dealer and they inform me there is no flasher relay on my car, can’t believe this somehow!

Thanks for any advice
Old 25-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A commen problem on 3dr's is that the fuse box melts where the fuse is for the fans.

I cured this with a seperate fan loom.

Indicators are on fuse 9, this also does brake lights and reverse lights.

My heater fan has also stopped working since the car was off the road, am just going to replace this as i checked the wiring on mine and there is power in positions 1-2-3 so i assume it has to be the fan unit itself

I know i have not answered all your questions but i hope this is of some help to you
Old 25-04-2007, 06:54 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FORD dealers no nowt, how do they think the indicators flash then ?
I would check all the main earths at the battery and clean them up.
This certainly does NOT warrant replacing the fusebox.
Easy basic fixes.
The fans do indeed burn out wires, this is why most have replaced the ford wiring with standalone wiring as I have, and negatively triggered so fans can run after igntion shut off, and then also put a manual overide in if you want ?
You need to see if there is anything that is common to all the thigs affected such as earth point, fuse etc and start there, either that way or start at problem and work backwards.
If you have fuses blowing you MUST find out why, NOT just replace them.
heater could just be crud on the resistor wires/earth.
tabetha
Old 25-04-2007, 06:55 AM
daz1968
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

agree with above probably melted fusebox. easy to remove if you take out lower dash on drivers side, just held in with a couple of clips.
Old 30-04-2007, 01:42 PM
C0S_TURBO

Default 3 Door fuse Box

Hi, thanks for the replies! Spent Sunday looking into the suggested fixes. Heater fan had seized. New unit fixed that problem. Also the blown fuse, which related to the heater fan sorted. Cleaned up any earth I could find. Still stuck on the harzards / indicators not working. If I arm my alarm the indicators flash so I know all bulbs are working. Need to find the flasher relay. Cooling fan! I all wiring seems intact, fan works independently when given +12v, if I short out the rad fan switch nothing although there is +12v there. If I put a +12v feed to the rad fan fuse in the fuse box the fans come on. Need to find the relay.

Thanks in advance. We will get there.
Old 30-04-2007, 01:51 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flasher relay is I'm sure behind the clocks on a bracket clearly visible, on the metalwork above the column.
It may be the contacts so push in and out a few million times, if this sorts it then disassemble and put together with motorcycle spray chain wax inside as this stuff works wonders I use it all the time a little can of WURTH I use is about £3.
tabetha
Old 01-05-2007, 10:40 AM
C0S_TURBO

Default 3 Door fuse Box

Thanks for the advise! Will take the clocks out this evening after work. Ford have come back with a part number and price for the flasher relay, they are unable to say where it is, £13.42 alot of money for a relay? With the rad fans does the fan switch in the rad just switch to earth or is it used as a trigger to switch a realy?
Give a car a good dry home over the winter and this is how it rewards you

Cheers