Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

need help buying my first cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 27-02-2007, 06:30 PM
ladsarmy
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help buying my first cosworth

I am thinking of purchasing my dads friends cosworth the car is mint done 90,000 miles magenta history green top engine think it is a later one cant remember i do know has black dash no mods at all previouse owners were old men.
Now the bit i am worried about the car has been kept in a garage for the last 5 years never been started just sitting there as the old guy was not well and has now passed away i know this car been trying to get it since it been off the road how do i go about getting it running again i know i will need a battery if i change all filters spark plugs change oil turn it over by hand will that do it also drain petrol will i need to do anything else dont want the engine to go bang the car has prob never been run hard will the oil be to thick how will the engine be thanks for all help will post pics when i get it thanks
Old 27-02-2007, 10:04 PM
daz1968
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I would disconnect ignition and injectors and keep turning over with the starter in short bursts until the oil light goes out, then reconnect everything and start it up. then when run up to temperature turn it off drain the oil then change oil and filter. Also probably best to drain the tank and put in new petrol due to standing so long,
Old 28-02-2007, 01:08 AM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it was mine, I would :

Change the cam and auxilliary belts first before trying to start the engine. Because you'll have problems removing the crank pulley (which most people do to change the cam belt), you'll probably need to remove the radiator, which will give you the opportunity to back-flush the cooling system, especially if you remove the thermostat as well, and refill with fresh water/anti-freeze.

Drain the fuel by undoing the pipe between the tank and the fuel pump, and refill with fresh fuel. Whilst under the car, fit a new fuel filter.

Drain the oil that's in the engine and refill with the cheapest oil you can find.

Turn the eninge over on the starter motor, after having removed the spark plugs, for a good half a minute.

Run the engine up to temp and then drain the new oil. Refill with decent oil and fit a new oil filter.

Inspect condition/operation of brakes and renew brake fluid.

Best bet after that is to take it straight for an MOT - but drive there carefully.

If it passes, then I'd take the car somewhere to have the engine/electrics/CO/etc checked over and/or set-up by someone familiar with cossies. May be the best Ł150 (ish) you spend.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:12 PM
ladsarmy
Part of the Furniture

Default car

couple a more questions
1.how do i put oil back into gearbox i have heard it a pain in the arse
2.do i just drain the brake fluid then top up and bleed them
3.where abouts is the filter for the petrol
4.do you think i should change the spark plugs
4.will the oil defo be fine also it wont have cloged up the oil pump a know it silly question but i realy want this car and dont want to wreck it as the guys family loved this car
Old 01-03-2007, 06:36 PM
jon@work

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: car

Originally Posted by ladsarmy
1.how do i put oil back into gearbox i have heard it a pain in the arse
You can refill the 2wd T5 boxes using the 1 litre bottles, but it is quite restricted access - may be the same situation for 4x4

2.do i just drain the brake fluid then top up and bleed them
No - you should be able to see the colour difference between the new and old fluid - just open up a nipple to lower the fluid level in the resevoir then top up with new fluid

3.where abouts is the filter for the petrol
Under the rear of the car

4.do you think i should change the spark plugs
Probably for peace of mind - see what the old ones look like

5.will the oil defo be fine also it wont have cloged up the oil pump a know it silly question but i realy want this car and dont want to wreck it as the guys family loved this car
Pull the dipstick out - see what the old oil looks like. If in doubt, run a cheap oil in the engine until warm to flush the old oil out
Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 PM
ladsarmy
Part of the Furniture

Default CAR

THANKS WILL POST PICS SOON
Old 02-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Jimboxr4x4

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

4x4 box is easy to do. There is a drain plug. The filler plug is up quite high but easy enough to fill.