Puma Timing Belt Help urgent!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:29 PM
mcguire618
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puma Timing Belt Help urgent!

Right, slight dilema

Bought a ford puma timing tool, locked up the crank, locked up the cams, removed belt etc.....

but my problem is the VCT pulley, i mean is there anything you have to do to set it in the right place? someone has said that you have to fully advance the pulley, then put the belt on (turn the pulley anticlockwise)

But ive locked the cams and crank, took the belt and tensioner off, then replaced with new without turning the vct pulley, when i turn the engine over by hand i have compression, if i turn it two rotations of 360 degress then the timing marks line back up so im confused, just dont wanna start the engine up and it ann go ping!

anyone who can shine some light on the situation would be much appreciated! cheers
Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 PM
hillzy2k
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

No need to lock anything on the vct pulley, just unbolt it like the normal pulley, fit belt and tighten pulley after. the pulley moved by oil pressure (via a control solenoid) when the engine is running. The same applies to focus st170 and citroen/peugeots that have this arrangement so just time it up as you would on a 1.25/1.4/1.6.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 PM
hillzy2k
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

just reread that, youve already refitted it, the marks line up again so go for it, turn the key, no problem m8.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you loosen the Cam pulleys there is no key way so they are free to rotate, so there is no way to acurately set the timing in advance or Retard, as said above you dont need to set them this is done by the belt and tensoner once this is tensioned up the cam pulleys will be where ever they are, then you tighten the pully bolt. The timing itself has been set by your locking tools. The only thing to remember is you MUST loosen the pulleys, some people try belt changes without doing this and the VVT solenoid throws a fault, you have to get it all cock on to keep the VVT solenoid happy.