Ford Puma Discuss the Ford Puma here!

Puma engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 23-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Baron Von Nowt
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puma engine problem

Hi allI'm new to this forum and need some advice. I have a puma 1.7 (Y) and its covered 130,000 miles. To be fair it owes me nothing and as i purchased a new car i kept it as the garage offered me next to nothing for it. I've used it everyday to go to and from work to keep the miles off the new car.Anyway a while ago it developed a problem and i could do with any help to see if it is a cheap fix or a phone call to Motorhog to scrap etc...The problem:The car cannot accelerate under heavy acceleration at low revs. If you try to do this the engine makes a continuous and rapid noise (spluttering would be the wrong word but difficult to describe) until the engine management light comes on. Sometime light stays on sometimes it flashes and goes off.Setting off on an incline seems to exaggerate the problem.However, under gentle acceleration there is little problem and once on the motorway and generally at high revs again there is little to notice.I did take it to a garage for an MOT when the engine management light was on and it read a fault to the Cat Bank 2. The mechanic cleared the Cat but the problem persisted.As the car doesn't really warrant a full overhaul to diagnose the problem i was wondering if anyone knew what this problem was and an estimate of the cost to fix... I was hoping it might just be dirty injectors but i know nothing about engines.Cheers
Old 23-08-2010, 09:15 AM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I would get the fault codes read again. I doubt if your car has 2 cat's.
Can you remember the fault code number?
Sound like a mixture problem to me. Could be a defective sensor or an air leak.
Continuing to drive with this problem will eventually destroy the one cat you do have.

Check all vacuum hoses around the inlet manifold for splits, cracks or blockage.
Check the exhaust manifold for leaks.
How old are the spark plugs? And the leads?
Spray a little water over the coil and leads in the dark. If you see or hear sparks then replace that part.
Old 23-08-2010, 05:59 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

You certainly do not want to be putting water anywhere near the ignition system!!

It probably will have only one cat, you may be getting confused with a pre and post cat sensor though?

The error is being reported for a reason, just clearing the error will do nothing without rectifying the cause in this case it's likely all that's needed is a new Lamba sensor, you may as well do both while your at it.

Martin
Old 24-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Spurtboy

I had a similar problem in my Puma, and all I did was clean the MAF sensor and it's worked perfectly ever since.
Old 24-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Tank Mike
Advanced PassionFord User

If you want to sell it let me know
Old 24-08-2010, 11:09 AM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spurtboy
I had a similar problem in my Puma, and all I did was clean the MAF sensor and it's worked perfectly ever since.
I was going to say MAF too
Old 24-08-2010, 11:10 AM
lacey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

i had a problem a bit the same with my old one. Just had no go what it was on mine was the air flow meter there is a little sensor that hangs down and it gets covered in shit so i just blasted it with carb cleaner and just watched the shit drop off . After that it run fine. That was 2 years ago and it still runs good now with 150k on the clock. If its the cat which im shore there is only one of then i have a spare second hand one. But carb cleaner is cheaper lol.