Ford Puma Discuss the Ford Puma here!

Puma dash removal

Old 16-07-2010, 02:04 PM
MarkyMark
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puma dash removal

STRESSED AND HANDS DUG TO FUCK, ABOUT TO BURN THE FUCKING CAR, BUT THOUGHT I WOULD ASK ON HERE FIRST

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REMOVE A DASH ON A PUMA

, ive removed most of the bolts i can see and the near side of the dash is lose but it seems the off side is still held on by something, i have removed the torx's on both sides of the dash, 2 torxs under the dash in the middle, three torxs on the top of the dash near the screen one on each side and one in the middle, 2x13mm on a suspension bar underneath the drivers side of the dash, and a few more!

can you think of any more that i need to undo
Old 16-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Remove the steering wheel.

Remove 2 pull plugs for the indicator arms and undo the screw on the top of the block, to take off indicator arms.

Pull off the ignition ring to access the bonnet release catch. The catch end will slide out and the cable will pull free with some force.

Pull the cable connector off the beige screw thread on the right. You will most likely have cables attached to the steering support by a black cable-tie, cut it or un-tie the cables. The ignition core has 2 catches and will just pull off. Take off the 2 1/2" bolts either side of the steering rack on the beige thread. To remove the L-plate, there are 2 10mm bolts to remove. The black one to the front has a cable looped over the thread and the second silver bolt is accessed from the underside.

To disconnect the steering column there is a 1/2" bolt and clip assembly to remove. Undo the bolt, pull the clip off and the assembly should fall away. The steering column can now be removed from the car. You will need to disconnect the clutch position sensor, which is attached with just a twist-lock to the clutch pedal (orange cables in the photos).

Pull off the coin box, to access the fuse box. The 2 screws on the front and 3 clips (1 each side and one in the middle) will detach the fuse box from the housing.

The silver fascia is held on by 3 screws, 2 are above the instrument panel, and 1 is concealed behind a black plastic triangle near the clock. Pull the fascia froward (2 push clips hold it in place in front of the instrument panel). Disconnect the clock, fog lights, rear window heater, etc. from the fascia. I only have 3 push plugs in the photo, many of you will have 5. I found it very helpful to write on the connectors where they came from.

The instrument panel is held on with 4 gold screws. Once removed the unit will pull forward allowing access to the connector. Pull up the connector's black restraining arm. The mechanism will pop the connector out. If you don't have the digital pedometer, I believe that the disconnection of the speedo-cable is more involved.

Push the radio forward from behind and disconnect the push plugs from the back.
Take out any din assembly that may be there. The heater control panel is held on by 2 screws at the top. The panel will rotate forward allowing for disconnection of the push plugs. The solid cable coming from the vent selector knob just pulls out from the bottom.

Disconnect the plug for the Light Position Switch and the Cigarette Lighter if you have one (this can be a little tricky as it is on the underside). If you have air conditioning you will have to deal with the connectors for it also. I have pulled out the cable bundle and untangled it in the image. Remove your gear stick knob (unscrews) to avoid it getting scratched.

The passenger air bag cover just pulls off. Carefully use a flat head screwdriver to pop it off. Those with an air bag will have to unscrew it and disconnect the electronics from the back.

Pull back the rubber seals around each door. Carefully, with a flat head screwdriver pop off the plastic side panels from the dashboard. Pull off the grey panels from the A-frame.

There are a total of 9 TORX screw that need to be removed to pull the dashboard forward. 3 are located along the top under the window, 2 each side behind the side panels you just removed and 2 under the dash in the upright. The 3 along the top are a size smaller than the rest.

Lift and pull the dash forward a little way, say 5". It will pivot on the centre support that you removed screws from. At each side you will gain access to the wire loom that runs behind. There is not much room and you will have to cut the ties; 3 on the passenger side and 2 on the driver's side. Be very careful when cutting the cable ties there is not much room for error.

You will be able to lift and pull the dash a little further forward. You will need to disconnect any cables still attached to the frame at various points and the yellow push plug from the Air Bag control module. There is an access panel at the back of the glove-compartment to help get at it. The dash will be 8" forward at this point giving room to take off the plastic vent assembly for the blower. There are six gold screws which need to be removed (very much by touch) and one from the front behind the CD player housing.

for the vents there are six gold screws, 4 along the top, 2 underside at each end and one from the front, seven in total.

With the vent assembly out of the way, the wire loom is exposed this is simply pulled off the dash, but be careful.

The dash should now be free and can be taken out of the car, the unfinished metal is sharp and can cut fingers wires etc. so again work with care. Both doors will need to be open to lift it out.
Old 16-07-2010, 04:04 PM
MarkyMark
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found the last 10mm under the steering column, now out on the grass, thanks for the detailed help though warren!