Ford Puma Discuss the Ford Puma here!

Ford Puma 1.7 X reg blowing hot air, not HCV!!!

Search this Thread

Old 19-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Jacka
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Puma 1.7 X reg blowing hot air, not HCV!!!

Hi

I've had my little Puma for 3 years now and just use it to go to and from work. A few months ago the heater became stuck on hot most of the time which wasn't a problem during the winter but now the sun has started shining it is a but if a nightmare.

Obviously it's a common fault for the Heater Control Valve to go which I changed and it did not make any difference.

I then checked the connection to the heater control valve from the car electrics. Supposedly when the gauge is in between hot and cold every few seconds the reading should go from 14v to ground, which typically mine doesn't so. This obviously rules out the HCV

I have then changed the Heater Control unit inside the car this morning and still no change what so every.

Can anyone advise me where to go from here as I am completely stumped!.

Cheers
Jacka
Old 19-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Did you get a genuine up to date Ford HCV? (FINIS 1451981) The pattern parts from ebay and the like are known to be tempremental and stick.
The latest Ford batch code starts with 7N21 and not the 98FU that were assocated with the faulty Ford ones. The 7N21 has a slightly larger bore size than the old 98FU.

If you're sure it's not the HCV, then the heater control panel may have failed as I've seen that in the past. Plenty of them about ebay or down your local breakers.

Good luck!
Old 19-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Jacka
Virgin

I didn't get a genuine ford part this time but after testing the voltage on the connector from the car end HCV is completely ruled that out.

I've just bought and changed the heater control unit but that hasn't worked either . The only thing I can think of is the wiring harness, so I'm proabbyl going to have to take it to an auto electrics place
Old 19-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

So you get the right electrical signals from the HCV, but are you sure the little valve is working inside?

Just a thought, not a criticism.
Old 19-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Jacka
Virgin

I disconnected the connector from the HCV and tested that (the connector on the wiring harness) and that wasn't giving the correct signal. Even if I changed the HCV it wouldn't make a difference to the connector on the harness.

If it was giving the correct signal then it would defo be the HCV.

I need thoughts at this stage because I am stumped
Old 09-06-2011, 05:40 PM
gj1982
Virgin

I too am having this exact problem : getting strange meter readings, tried new control panel and hcv (albeit second hand ones) and no luck Ami going to need to go to an auto electrician?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Jacka
Virgin

Originally Posted by gj1982
I too am having this exact problem : getting strange meter readings, tried new control panel and hcv (albeit second hand ones) and no luck Ami going to need to go to an auto electrician?
In the end I bought a ford genuine hcv which sorted it out straight away! Sent the other back to eBay shop! Morale of story for me, don't buy cra p
Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Glad you got it sorted
Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 PM
gj1982
Virgin

Oh that's good to hear, I hope it sorts it for me too. I was having the same problem as you in that the readings from a multimeter don't tally with what everyone else says in the forums!
As I said I can't really afford to buy parts if it's not the problem and i couldn't see how the hcv was causing the strange readings.
however, after reading your post I think I'll just go ahead and buy the genuine part. After all, wiring problems is going to be a lot less likely than the valve.
thanks for your reply, and thanks for making me feel better about this really annoying problem!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Jacka
Virgin

Originally Posted by gj1982
Oh that's good to hear, I hope it sorts it for me too. I was having the same problem as you in that the readings from a multimeter don't tally with what everyone else says in the forums!
As I said I can't really afford to buy parts if it's not the problem and i couldn't see how the hcv was causing the strange readings.
however, after reading your post I think I'll just go ahead and buy the genuine part. After all, wiring problems is going to be a lot less likely than the valve.
thanks for your reply, and thanks for making me feel better about this really annoying problem!
If you have any further problems speak to the guys onthe puma people site! They're friendly and pretty much know pumas inside out! Ice given mine to my mother and it's still going strong! Just s pity about the wheel arches or I never would have let get go
Old 09-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Churtz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remember the HCV's are a pwm signal so you won't get a good enough reading on a multimeter.

Matt
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Jacka
If you have any further problems speak to the guys onthe puma people site! They're friendly and pretty much know pumas inside out!
Or you could try my forum www.projectpuma.com if you actually want an answer the same week..

Not that I said the problem would be fixed with an Ford HCV in the 1st reply or anything..
Old 10-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Jacka
Virgin

Originally Posted by Puma_dal
Or you could try my forum www.projectpuma.com if you actually want an answer the same week..

Not that I said the problem would be fixed with an Ford HCV in the 1st reply or anything..
Credit where credits due!

I tried to join your site mate about a year or two ago and sent a request through, but never got a reply may be worth looking into that

I hope one day when i move house and get a bigger garage to retrieve my puma from my mother and rebuild her. They'll most definitely be a classic as there was only one shape and they won't be many around because they are absolute rust buckets!

Last edited by Jacka; 10-06-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:17 AM
gj1982
Virgin

thanks for the replies - genuine Ford HCV ordered

Also, I've joined both sites - I think I need all the help I can get!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Jacka
Credit where credits due!

I tried to join your site mate about a year or two ago and sent a request through, but never got a reply may be worth looking into that
Let me know your details and I'll sort it out (PM sent)
Old 14-06-2011, 05:04 PM
gj1982
Virgin

I've put on the genuine Ford heater valve, with no change whatsoever
I'm getting to the end of my tether with this now, it's a big problem with the weather as warm as it is and it's not enjoyable to drive.

Anyone got any ideas? Many Thanks.