Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Ford mondeo central locking alarm problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:39 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts
Default Ford mondeo central locking alarm problem

Hi guys. Bought a ford mondeo for the family, a 2004 tdci. The problem I got is the car will lock with the key (no fob supplied with car) and the hazards flash as the car locks perfectly to say the alarm is activated. The problem comes when unlocking the car. The car unlocks and hazards flash as normal but soon as I open the door the alarm goes off :-( I have to open the bonnet and disconnect battery to stop it. Has anyone come accross this on one of these mondeos before? I've got a few ideas on the prob but thought I'd ask if anyone's come accross it before. Thanks, Gary
Old 05-03-2014, 08:43 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

it will either be:

the bonnet lock assembly (new one from ford for around £38 is best but it's a tad bit fiddly to fit)

the master lock assembly in the drivers door (get a replacement from ebay or a breakers and replace, prices range from between £20-£40 )

there are ways to check the bonnet alarm but i can't remember how just now
Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Dojj, GEM module self test.

The Following procedure can be used to check see if the GEM module is getting signals & sending from/to the attached systems.

Things To Check Before You Start.
> Switch OFF the ignition.
> Switching OFF all other electrical systems.
> Apply Handbrake.
> Engage Neutral (Manual) or P (Park on Automatics).
> All Doors are Closed.
Once thats done you can continue ( note - If the alarm activates this procedure will not work )

Self Test Activation Procedure.
1.Press & hold the rear window heater switch.
2 While holding the rear window switch down turn on the ignition & then release the rear window switch.
( If done correctly a signal sounds & the indicator warning lights will illuminate to show your now in the test mode )

Input Signals Testing.
Now to test the systems put the windscreen wipers into the OFF position to enable the input signal test mode & then activate any of the following controls to test there connection to the GEM module ( An audible alert & the indicator warning lights will flash on each signal the GEM gets )
> Direction Indicators ( Left / Right ).
> Hazard Warning Lights.
> Sidelights.
> Windscreen Intermittent Wipe.
> Windscreen Wash/Wipe System.
> Rear Wiper.
> Rear Wash/Wipe System.
> Doors Opening/Closing.
> Remote Boot Release Switch ( Centre Dash Console ).
> Boot Release Switch ( On The Tailgate ).
> Boot Opening With A Key.
> Lock Key On The Remote. *
> Unlock Key On The Remote. *
> Boot Release Key On The Remote. *
> Bonnet Open/Closed.
> Heated Rear Window.
> Heated Windscreen.
> Ignition On.
> Automatic Transmission, Lever Position P.
* - The Ignition Key Must NOT Be In The Ignition During This Test

Output Signal Testing
Put the wiper switch into the Intermittent setting.
Press the Rear Window heater switch to activate or de-activate the output signals in the following order.
> Front Wipers ( A signal sounds & the indicator warning lights flash when the park position is reached ).
> Rear Window Heater.
> Interior Lights ( The switch for the interior lights must be in the 'door open' setting ).
> Door Ajar Warning Light on the Dash.
> Rear Window Wiper.
> Windscreen Heater ( When the engine is running only ).

Exiting Test Mode
The Test Mode is exited automatically if no buttons are pressed for around 20 seconds or if the car is driven ( This de-activation is indicated by 3 signal sounds & indicator warning lights flash's )

Last edited by GVK.; 05-03-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:02 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

The bonnet lock has been drilled out and pretty much butchered and u have to use a long screwdriver to open the bonnet. I suppose they could have damaged something here, I'll have to have a good look
Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 AM
dojj

the self test for the gem is fine and dandy, but there is a way to test the alarm by pressing a sequence on the bonnet catch to see if it works, the same as pressing the button on the bonnet switch on the seirras to see if they were faulty because it would beep a few times to tell you it was working or not
Old 06-03-2014, 05:23 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dojj, I think you'll find it doesn't work on mk3 Mondeos like it used to on the old stuff.

Have you tried pressing that plunger in on a mk3 Mondeo..

That's why I posted the GEM self test..
Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 PM
dojj

there is deffo a self test for the bonnet latch mate, let me find it when i've got time to look
Old 06-03-2014, 08:01 PM
dojj

shamelessly stolen from someone else

Originally Posted by clever chap on the interweb
There is a self test for the alarm but to tell the truth if its intermittent you can bet your bottom dollar that as you test each point of the doors, hatch and bonnet they will all signal that they work correctly.

You can put the alarm into test mode by switching ignition on and at the same time holding the heated rear screen button. Then release the screen button and you should get a "chirp". Then open each door, bonnet, hatch and if they are ok you will get a "chirp" sound for each item (door/bonnet/hatch) you open.

More than likely the problem will lie with the bonnet switch, although another likely culprit is the hatch switch (which I will be doing on mine tomorrow as my alarm is also knackered). The bonnet switch is easily rectified by removing the switch and putting a piece of wire (bridging) between the points...effectively telling the car that the bonnet is closed, however bear in mind that when you do this you effectively stop any further alarm on the bonnet even if it is forcibly opened whilst remainder of car is alarmed. Also bear in mind that the bonnet switch sits behind the "airbag crash sensor"....be careful you dont disturb the wrong one otherwise you risk setting the airbag off.
winner
Old 06-03-2014, 08:25 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That's the same as the GEM self-test I posted...but with less words
Old 14-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Bigantg
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please!

Hi guys,

New to the forum having just bought a mk3 Mondeo as a workhorse. First issue I'm having is with the Central locking not working, the key remote has no effect whatsoever on the locking! When using the actual key in the door lock I can lock all the doors and the indicators flash, however, the key in the lock only unlocks the drivers door and all the other doors have to manually unlocked from inside the car. I note that the boot release button on the centre console also doesn't work, I've tried the GEM test procedure described and all functions appear to work including when the remote buttons are pressed and the dash boot release??!! I see that a lot of posts have been created about similar issues but people don't seem to post the solution! My fuse is ok and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks
Antony
Old 20-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Bigantg
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, so I took the plunge and bought a 2nd hand drivers door actuator off eBay and have fitted it today. The result is that the central locking is working from the key fob, the boot opens using both the console switch, boot handle and boot release on the key!! Awesome, however, a small thing that is puzzling and annoying is that when I press the unlock button all the doors unlock, however, when pressing the lock button only the front doors lock?!! If you double press the lock button as if deadlocking then ALL the doors lock?! I would obviously prefer all the locks to lock on a single press of the lock button, is there some form of setting to adjust this?!