Ford KUGA Talk about the Ford Kuga here!

Kuga traction control light flashes and engine malfunction light comes on

Search this Thread

Old 17-09-2015, 01:01 PM
nipper.1
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kuga traction control light flashes and engine malfunction light comes on

I have a 2010 2wd Kuga 2.0 titanium and the traction control light flashes on the dash makes the ping noise and the engine malfunction light comes on and goes into that get ya home mode, When you stop the engine and restart after a few seconds it clears and away you go again until it happens again which can be days or weeks. I have had the car into the garage where I bought it new (Arnold Clark) and the first time they looked at it said it was low fuel pressure and fitted a new fuel filter and tested it and said it was fine (£98) cost. The next day drove from Cumbria down to Manchester 70 mph slowed down at slip road about 40 mph it did it again, Five days later on way home sat at good speed 3rd land dry road smooth road did it again so took back to garage and they put it on computer cleared fault and tried to make it do it but didn't happen, They rang me to say what they had done and said if it happens again to take it back, two days later it did it again at 65 mph I haven't rang the garage because I have lost all faith in them as they aint got a clue whats wrong with it, Please can some one help as I'm just at my wits end with it , cheers.
Old 17-09-2015, 06:24 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Could be the air flow meter. Its linked to the traction control system so will bring an esp error light on if it fails. Quite common on focus st's which gives the exact symptoms you describe.
The following users liked this post:
nipper.1 (17-09-2015)
Old 18-09-2015, 07:32 AM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Without the exact fault codes it's anybody guess.
Find another dealer/garage (with Ford specific scanner) and get the fault codes read from both the engine and the abs.
When the car has an automatic transmission also have the codes read from this system.
Then place the exact fault code text and the number of the code's here.

Last edited by oldford; 18-09-2015 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nipper.1 (27-09-2015)
Old 19-09-2015, 05:43 PM
nipper.1
Virgin

I had it into another garage and they couldn't get a code out of it and said it hadn't happened but by luck I had taken a photo on my phone when it happened he just had a blank look on his face and said he didn't know what to do next at which time I gave him his pedigree and left his two bit establishment, the first ford garage said its ford uk policy to delete the codes and then take for a test drive and try to get the problem to happen again but wasn't possible as it happens when I happens and you cant make it happen
Old 10-07-2016, 09:09 AM
benefit50
Virgin

hi all am new to this site but have same problem ford kuga 2011 2.0tdci traction control light with engine malfunction into limp mode can anybody help please
Old 10-07-2016, 11:22 AM
oldford

Maybe start by having the codes read from both the engine and the ABS?
Old 19-01-2019, 01:29 PM
chewy01
Virgin

Hi, can any1 help, i have the exact same problem with my 60 plate Kuga, the engain malfunction light comes on with the traction controll light then goes into limp mode, i have changed the front ABS speed censors after being told it could be that but was not, the car is still doing the same but getting more often, Please can any1 help.
Old 21-01-2019, 06:57 AM
oldford

I would suggest having the codes read from Engine and ABS.
That might be cheaper than at random changing sensors that aren't defect.
Old 22-01-2019, 09:42 AM
grcossie

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If it`s happend only when Cold, then it`s a now problem. It comes water into turbo actuator, and when this freez, then the the tc lights and engine mailfunctions turns on, and limp mode is set. If you then turn engine of and on again, the ice is thawed and it`s up and og againg. The drain hole on actuator, is moved on newer turbos. I`v seen this on alot of Kuga`s here at work (Ford technican) incude my own. I have made a cower, to move the water from dripping on turbo
Old 03-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Ronny Arve Stormo
Virgin

Originally Posted by grcossie
If it`s happend only when Cold, then it`s a now problem. It comes water into turbo actuator, and when this freez, then the the tc lights and engine mailfunctions turns on, and limp mode is set. If you then turn engine of and on again, the ice is thawed and it`s up and og againg. The drain hole on actuator, is moved on newer turbos. I`v seen this on alot of Kuga`s here at work (Ford technican) incude my own. I have made a cower, to move the water from dripping on turbo
This has happened to me a couple of time this winter, when going from wet conditions to -20.. And as you said a simple warmup and on and of fixes it..do you have a picture of the shield you made for your turbo?
Old 04-03-2019, 05:27 AM
grcossie

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Don`t have a Picture here, it`s just a 1L can, cut in two, and fastened on top of the engine, towards firewall
Old 19-06-2019, 10:17 PM
Taylor Macvean
Virgin

Hi did anyone get to bottom off this problem

it’s been happening to me for a year now I’ve had it into ford Garrage and they have had now joy

i have also tried to get codes off but no joy reading them
Old 30-05-2022, 07:39 PM
Mickie2022
Virgin

Hi did anyone get to the bottom of this fault I have a 2014 ford kuga 2.0 titanium and I have the same problem been like 6 months now. I've had the pressue sensor changed as it had that fault and the fuel rail been cleaned and still having the same issue