Ford Focus Range This Section Contains All The Ford Focus Model Specific Forums.

Focus ST 225 MK2 mods, which ones to get?

Search this Thread

Old 22-02-2015, 11:31 AM
slippytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus ST 225 MK2 mods, which ones to get?

Hi guys,

I have finally managed to buy myself a Focus ST after pining for one since I passed my test. It's a 2007 ST1 (I think) which has been so well looked after it's almost too good to be true. It's totally stock at the minute and I am looking to just give it a little more kick, not that I don't love it for what it is.

Firstly I am going to spend my pennies getting the cambelt etc done and then I'll move on to some minor modifications. I don't want anything extreme like a new exhaust system or lowered springs, just something simple that isn't going to be engine breaking or bank breaking in terms of insurance.

I am looking at dreamscience remaps on eBay. I have always looked at Bluefins previously however I have now learnt that the dreamscience can be resold (providing it has enough lives) which appeals to me a lot. I have no idea what any of the maps do that come with a dreamscience, IE race, race+ etc. I basically just want one that's going to give me a little bit more umph without the need for new intercoolers and things as my wife will just not let it happen.

My question is, can I put say a dreamscience remap on and maybe something like a K&N panel filter without compromising the longevity of my engine/ clutch/ turbo and not need to update any parts? This car has had a good life by all accounts and I intend to keep it that way.

Thanks for any advice,
Old 22-02-2015, 04:23 PM
chris cdti
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

One of the first things I would save for is an RS clutch as once the boost has been upped with a map it will soon see a standard clutch off.
Old 22-02-2015, 04:29 PM
slippytoe

Hmmm, I've got to say, that's not the answer I wanted to hear. How much is an RS clutch fitted roughly? Is it a certainty that the ST clutch will fade away? It's not like I'm out driving like a maniac constantly, if you treat it right will it live?
Old 22-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by slippytoe
Hmmm, I've got to say, that's not the answer I wanted to hear. How much is an RS clutch fitted roughly? Is it a certainty that the ST clutch will fade away? It's not like I'm out driving like a maniac constantly, if you treat it right will it live?
I had the dream science maps for mine and the clutch slipped like hell so RS clutch had to be bought.

Probably looking at about £800 all in.

But the maps were fantastic!
Totally transforms the ST.

There's no worries with reliability as long as you service it regularly with the correct oils.
Old 22-02-2015, 05:37 PM
slippytoe

Ooooh my wife will love that. £300 for cambelt, £800 for RS clutch and then a further £250 for maps. I can't see it happening are there no maps that won't destroy my clutch?
Old 22-02-2015, 05:52 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi,
If you ever need any help with modified vehicle insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 22-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You might be alright withit being a 2007 model.

It was mainly an issue with 06 models for some reason.

Mine even slipped on the lowest map on an 06 model.
Old 24-02-2015, 05:52 PM
steve-26
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

My 57 plate ST slipped like hell with DS race+ map on it. RS dmf and clutch fixed it.
Old 24-02-2015, 06:02 PM
steve-26

I remember seeing a story that ford changed the clutch in ST's made around 2007 as some people complained that the earlier models cars clutch was too heavy. And that's why its more likely to slip due to weeker clutch plates.
Old 24-02-2015, 11:16 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by steve-26
I remember seeing a story that ford changed the clutch in ST's made around 2007 as some people complained that the earlier models cars clutch was too heavy. And that's why its more likely to slip due to weeker clutch plates.
I thought it was the 2006 ones.

There are a few threads in here I think it failing that stoc will know.

When my clutch got replaced the original was near new. But of a shitter another £700 after £400 software
Old 26-02-2015, 02:34 PM
t5frankie

my mondeo is mapped and the clutch don't slip
Old 26-11-2015, 05:00 AM
streetsleeperst
Virgin

just seen this post,

I have just traded my ST after 6 years of owning for a new mk3.5 1.5t estate .I bought the car at 2 years old and 21k on it. Ill give you a bit of back story to my ST experince.

The day after buying it i installed the DSCI map from dreamscience(which im going to be selling 4 lives left) the unit has 5 maps performance, performance+, race, race+ and DSCI all these are step ups in power and torque. A week later i fitted an airtec intercooler as this was brilliant for the summer months that i had bought the car in so as not to loose of power. Next on the list was the Dreamscience induction kit. this sounded fantastic and was worth the investment at £300. Last was a sports cat to give it a bit more of a growel.

I admit i have a heavy right foot so need two new tyres every year and got about 19mpg. I mainly done short journeys to work 10 miles or so.

The first major issue i hit was new oil filter hosuing was required as i had the 56 plate focus it had a weak membrane that was replaced on the mk 2.5 models thats was £150 fitted myself, then my bonnet lock went £170 fitted by ford, this was a common problem on the mk2. Then both my driveshafts going in 2013 that was £1k for new ones. Then almost a year later the clutch at 68k so it had the most powerful map from the start and lasted 47k miles. It was roughly £1k all in for parts labour to put the RS in. From memory the clutch was changed to chocolate in the 2007 models.

The last straw unfortunatly was the MOT it just had, £300 for various bits and pieces to get sorted then the alternator went on the way home. With a 3 1/2 year old and a 4 week old time to get a sensible family car.

I have not regretted spending any money ont he car to keep it on the road and it will be missed but need must. Every time i got in the car it bought a smile to my face.

Although the other half has said i can modify the new one so im hopping Mountune work there magic, like they did on the 1.6 engine as 200bhp would be fine.

any way any other questions ill be keeping an eye on the thread.

best of luck and enjoy the car.