Ford Focus Range This Section Contains All The Ford Focus Model Specific Forums.

Changing vin on PCM (ECU)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:52 PM
mctbrown
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing vin on PCM (ECU)

Have a 2010 focus old PCM was damaged so now a secondhand one but I need to change the vin so I can align the PATS system does anyone know how you can do this I have a vcm ids and elmconfig but just can't seem to change the vin any ideas or if anyone knows a company that can most I have contacted cant
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Never fitted a secondhand PCM to anything this late before, but I did fit a new one into a 2008 Focus this week for a trade customer, this needed PATS activation code from Ford ETIS to initialise the new PCM, it started straight away, no keys needed programming or anything..result!

On your IDS I guess you've tried changing the PCM in the 'programmable module installation' section in toolbox? I thought there was an option in there to fix incorrect VINs in modules.

Another good tip as shown here is trying the 'no comms' method where you allow the IDS to try and connect to the PCM but DON'T have the ign on, then you follow screen prompts as shown here and add tear tag or PCM part number to then gain a connection. (This a US site but the info is same as we can do.

I know this method works on older stuff..

To accomplish this trick, connect your Ford scanner or Flash programming device to the diagnostic link connector (DLC). Leave the ignition key in the OFF position. While the key is off, attempt to connect with the vehicle using your tool's software. The programming software will show a status bar for 45 seconds while it attempts communication with the vehicle. Of course, the communication attempt will fail because the key is off! It will then ask you to turn the key off and on again as it again attempts to communicate with the vehicle. After this process completes the software will ask you if you want to make another attempt. Choose no to this query.

You are then asked to choose from a list of vehicles to communicate with. Typically, your choice on this page will be "all other" shown on the top of the list as the rest of the list are non-domestic vehicle models.
- See more at: http://www.searchautoparts.com/motor....wmWtf27B.dpuf
The software will explain that you must provide some numbers from the actual ID label on the old PCM in order for the software to identify the vehicle you intend to communicate with. Use the actual PCM's label shown here if Figure 1 to gain the information you need. As you can see in screen shot shown in Figure 2, there are three sets of data fields you can use. You need only use one of these data fields to get the job done. I use the Tear Tag number because it is the easiest. In our example, we take the YPZ2 shown on the PCM label in figure 1 and type it into the Tear Tag data field as shown in Figure 2. - See more at: http://www.searchautoparts.com/motor....wmWtf27B.dpuf
http://www.searchautoparts.com/motor...her-procedures

Last edited by GVK.; 03-09-2014 at 09:25 PM.