Ford Focus Range This Section Contains All The Ford Focus Model Specific Forums.

Please help me..

Old 27-04-2014, 07:17 AM
sarah robbo
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me..

Hi I recently registered to this site because I need help badly..I have a 2001 1.6 petrol focus..9 years I've had it and there's 120k on the clock..I've looked after it like it is my child lol..last week I took it to the garage where I've been going for several years to have it serviced and also have a cooling fan switch put on..he did a mini service spark plugs oil filter etc as its got its mot middle of May..I got my car back all seemed fine..I took off to Blackpool next day and as I came off motorway I noticed it was smoking loads (blue smoke) it's never smoked in 9yrs..car ran ok I rang garage told take it in next day (it got me home fine too but still smoking) he checked it and said coz I had the engine cooling fan on permanently for 4weeks that it possibly was engine burning all the shit off that had built up..I checked oil level later dipstick was dry they put 5ltrs oil in..I put half a ltr in there and then and it measured a quarter way up on dipstick..when gear shifting to there's a rattling sound and it smokes the worse when im going up gear..I took it in with no rattling or smoke and I get it back like this..he now saying he thinks oil used was maybe too thin..he also put in engine oil leak sealant..I feel so let down by a mechanic I trusted..any help wud be so appreciated.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:04 PM
RedReddington
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the oil is too thin it's more likely to make it past the piston rings and be burnt (causing the blue smoke), especially at 120k miles where they will be a bit worn.

If you hadn't noticed blue smoke before then it's possible they did just use the wrong oil, or they've used the correct oil (5W30), and it's now too thin for the engine. Switching to a slightly thicker oil might help a bit, I had the same issue with a Mondeo and going to 10/40 improved it a fair bit, but if it keeps up long term the only final solution is really to rebuild the worn engine.

Don't despair yet though, it sounds like it could just be the wrong oil and you've nothing to loose by checking it out.