Ford Focus Range This Section Contains All The Ford Focus Model Specific Forums.

Focus MK1.5 headlamp bulb replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 18-11-2012, 04:22 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Focus MK1.5 headlamp bulb replacement?

Fucking bitch of a job. My dad mentioned that his bulb had given up so i said i would replace it for him as 1) his eyesight is not that brilliant and 2) he has fingers like fat sausages after years spent handling scaffolding on building sites.

Popped the spring clip off the back of the headlamp housing only to find that there wasn't enough room to remove the black plastic cover as the battery tray is in the way. Plan B - remove the full headlamp. We removed everything that we could see was either in the way or securing the headlamp and still it wouldn't come out as something was still holding it in even though we could wobble it around a bit. In the end he said he would get the mechanics to look at it in my sisters village as he is going over there tomorrow so we decided to put it all back together and leave it to them. Then the spring clip fell off completely so i had to struggle for about an hour to get that bastard back on as i couldn't get see the holes where it had to locate and also couldn't get my hands in to clip it back on. Anyway, got it back on after grazing knuckles, freezing balls off and lots of under my breath swearing.

So at the end of the day dad's car is exactly as it was before we even started and i'm pissed off because it got the better of me. Still, he's my dad and i know he'd bend over backwards (even at 75) to help me.

Come on lads, what's the secret/best way to change this bulb? And how many screws hold the headlamp in? Without crawling under the car i could only see 2 - one on the top and one that screwed into the wing.
Old 18-11-2012, 04:46 PM
the_frozen_one
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's one underneath, remove the shit shield and get at it from the floor with a long extension. Don't forget to leave it out for future ease
Old 18-11-2012, 04:48 PM
the_frozen_one
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Then obv pull the the light out to change the bulb. Serious ball ache, so much so ford paid special attention to easy headlight removal on the mk2
Old 18-11-2012, 05:01 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

I struggle to see how people find this hard.

It CAN be done without touching the tray etc, as I have done it, the most difficult part is removing the cover, I found I had to remove it at an angle.

If you were near to me I would have offered to do it for you.

Martin
Old 18-11-2012, 05:27 PM
craigfocus
Regular Contributor

hes right the is one underneath you gotta look under the bumper near the front of the wing, dont know why fordd put one there but they did and when i replaced my focus bulbs i didnt even put them back in and they still secure, but saying that my puma has two screws on a headlight they pop off in seconds dont figure
Old 18-11-2012, 05:40 PM
DangerousBryan
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Both sides can be done in situ with a bit of force.
Old 18-11-2012, 07:19 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by martysmartie
I struggle to see how people find this hard.

It CAN be done without touching the tray etc, as I have done it, the most difficult part is removing the cover, I found I had to remove it at an angle.

If you were near to me I would have offered to do it for you.

Martin
I think if you find the job straightforward you are in the minority as when i Googled it the amount of people who cursed this job was certainly thye majority.

Thanks for the offer of doing it for me though .
Originally Posted by DangerousBryan
Both sides can be done in situ with a bit of force.
Lots of jobs can be done with a bit of force but quite often that leads to more jobs repairing/replacing the bits you've damaged lol.
Old 19-11-2012, 04:57 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Lol it was kind of tricky I guess, once you have moved the top of the cover back as far as you can try gently maneuvering it at an angle.

In actual fact you will probably find in comparison with other modern cars these are fairly easy as some you have to end up dismantling half the car first (so I have heard)

You don't want to go 'brute force' really, else you will most likely end up snapping the lugs off the cover.

Martin
Old 22-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Baggers72
Baggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the cover out - not too hard then file the lugs down slightly - pops back in a treat and seats properly + no hassle next time