Ford Focus Range This Section Contains All The Ford Focus Model Specific Forums.

few focus questions...

Search this Thread

Old 24-11-2011, 10:10 PM
gti power
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few focus questions...

Hi im new to ford's if im honest so please forgive my question's if seem a little obvious.
Im in a dilema at the ideally i need a economical car doing 70mile a day to work and back,always like the mk1 focus trouble is i love turbo car's and i have looked at the engine option's offered from the focus and have been told the st170 is not that quick so not yet had a focus.

Ideally id be looking at a nice 3 door hatchback,looking on other forums have noticed a few 1.8 turbo's just wondering how difficult it is to turbo the focus? i mean what turbo do you use? stock internal with low boost? what is the manifold,a custom? then there is also the management?

That a side im defeating the object really as i need economical yet a eliable car,im a technician by trade so i dont mind getting my hand's dirty.
Discovered the other day for do what i can only find in 5 door? a factory lpg option,how reliable is the car? do they suffer with burnt out valve's etc?

Obviously a diesel would be a good option however i think long term you have a set of injector's fail,a turbo,dual mass flywheel or a egr then it wipes out the money saved on fuel.

Any info on the focus would be great please,common fault's,rust issues even owner's mpg/fuel consumption figures please.
Old 24-11-2011, 10:28 PM
hogdog
Regular Contributor

That's alot of questions!

If you're looking for an economical and fast car then the ST170 is neither.

Turbo charging is going to cost in excess of £5k, add the cost of the car in and you may as well have bought an RS...oddly they can be more economical than the ST170 if driven sensibly.

Personally I'd go for a good, late (2004) 2.0 ESP as I own one and can't fault it, 40+mpg on the motorway and faultless reliability. A TDCi sport is the sensible, economical yet sporty option or an RS if you can afford it and don't mind putting those kind of miles on a future classic, you can pick them up very cheaply these days.
Old 27-11-2011, 10:25 PM
gti power
Virgin

Originally Posted by hogdog
That's alot of questions!

If you're looking for an economical and fast car then the ST170 is neither.

Turbo charging is going to cost in excess of £5k, add the cost of the car in and you may as well have bought an RS...oddly they can be more economical than the ST170 if driven sensibly.

Personally I'd go for a good, late (2004) 2.0 ESP as I own one and can't fault it, 40+mpg on the motorway and faultless reliability. A TDCi sport is the sensible, economical yet sporty option or an RS if you can afford it and don't mind putting those kind of miles on a future classic, you can pick them up very cheaply these days.
Only looking at spending 2k at the moment,looked at the mk1 rs around xmas time and they were around 7k,cant see them being good on fuel though?
5k also seems a bit high for a turbo conversion? id be doing most of the labour myself obviously not the mapping etc.
Whats a ESP?
Old 27-11-2011, 10:44 PM
hogdog
Regular Contributor

They are quite good on petrol as are most 4 cylinder turbo charged cars as long as you can control your right foot. The ST170 is known to be quite poor in that area.

You could probably do a really basic conversion or an RS conversion for £3-3.5k if you did the work yourself, it's an expensive business.

ESP is electronic stability control and almost all the early 2.0 Focuses came with it, Ford named them ESP's although there are Ghia's too but they are 5 doors.

If you only have £2k then I'd try and find the best 2.0 you can, most ST170's will be a bit dodgy or high mileage at that price. You could also find a diesel but you might struggle to find a 3 door.
Old 27-11-2011, 10:58 PM
gti power
Virgin

Originally Posted by hogdog
They are quite good on petrol as are most 4 cylinder turbo charged cars as long as you can control your right foot. The ST170 is known to be quite poor in that area.

You could probably do a really basic conversion or an RS conversion for £3-3.5k if you did the work yourself, it's an expensive business.

ESP is electronic stability control and almost all the early 2.0 Focuses came with it, Ford named them ESP's although there are Ghia's too but they are 5 doors.

If you only have £2k then I'd try and find the best 2.0 you can, most ST170's will be a bit dodgy or high mileage at that price. You could also find a diesel but you might struggle to find a 3 door.
Thats great mate cheer's i thought you meant electronic stability control but didnt realise thats what ford names the car.
Yeah i know it can be expensive to turbo charge,i have heard a few people say turbo charged car's are economical i suppose its as you say got to take it easy.
I have seen some lpgs for that price or even just a 1600 petrol for around £1200.
Old 25-11-2014, 04:22 PM
fsekhula@icloud.com
Virgin

I own a Ford Focus 1.6 2003 with about 186000km on the clock. It never gave me any kind of a problem for the past 7 year. Recently it started showing an engine light. This happened every time after gas tank refill and switched itself off after a while.
The past few days it started jerking whilst in motion and an engine light is back on it doesn't go off this time. I have changed the spark plugs but that didn't change anything. Any idea what could be the cause.
Thank you in advance.
The other thing is I just noticed it also loses power like is cutting off gas. I also flushed the petrol filter because at fist I thought was something to do with fuel line.
Please help
Old 25-11-2014, 05:12 PM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The first thing I would do, is get the fault codes read by a diagnostic machine.
Old 25-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Twizz
Out of many, we are one.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a MK1 TDDI - engine is currently on 176k (if my memory isn't failing me). No injector issues apart from the injector pump can be a weak spot. 55mpg+ if I'm being sensible, high 40s when I'm booting it on motorway runs.

Had a look on FFOC? A few people knock theirs up for grabs every so often.

Petrol engines don't usually have anything that goes wrong as long as people service them regularly. Just buy the best you can.