Ford Focus (All Models) This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Range that doesnt belong in the seperate ST & RS sections..

focus speed sensor removal issues..

Search this Thread

Old 17-10-2009, 07:52 PM
pau1rs
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default focus speed sensor removal issues..

well trying to replace the speed sensor on my focus, due to speedo issues,

well looks like someones had a go before, and it decided to break in half...

so anyone got any tips to get the rest out,,, mega pissed off at the min...

Last edited by pau1rs; 17-10-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 17-10-2009, 08:23 PM
mercury grey minter
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are notoriuos for being a bugger to remove.When i done mine a piece snapped off so was ready to take the box out.Managed to get a right angle a 1/8 drill in there and get it out.Not a lot of room though.
Old 17-10-2009, 08:25 PM
washy
Virgin

ive been reading about these today while researching my own issues . i think that if it has snapped it has to be drilled out! Its not unusual for them to snap when trying to swap them im afraid mate.
Old 17-10-2009, 08:27 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

They're a nightmare to remove in one piece, so I don't envy your task. I found the best way was to just keep wiggling, while applying as much upwards pressure as possible. Took bloody ages.

Drilling does seem to be the best option to avoid having to get the box out. I presume the car won't run properly without one?

Last edited by DanW@FastFord; 18-10-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: I'm a retard!
Old 17-10-2009, 08:34 PM
pau1rs

cheers guys,,, still runs, just with no speedo,, but can cause hesitation probs apparently..

going to try a self tapping screw, wd40 and alot of luck....
Old 17-10-2009, 09:33 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Good luck with it! Used to have that problem on my old focus, it did cause a slight drop in performance as the ECU uses it for its speed signal. I heard about how much of a bugger it was to change, so I just put up with it!
Old 18-10-2009, 07:36 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Probably a silly question, but you have got the metal pin out?
Old 18-10-2009, 10:10 AM
pau1rs

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Probably a silly question, but you have got the metal pin out?
yes mate,,, pin out,, sensors been there for 11 years so guess thats why its a bit stuck...
Old 18-10-2009, 10:55 AM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

when I done mine (normal focus) I got mole grips on it and gave it a wiggle, it was'nt for moving so, working from underneath got a mate to smack the mole grips with a hammer and large screwdriver as I wiggled them, it flew out

hth

also when refitting new vss put some grease around the top bit that push fits into the gearbox, to get this to locate I used a large set of water pump pliers so press it in position, put a bit of grease on your new locating pin too

hth
Old 25-09-2012, 06:11 AM
smedcoates1960
Virgin

I too am having a big problem regarding the removal of the speed sensor.The pin was not a problem,That came out in one piece,However the speed sensor is a complete nightmare,I have tried the mole grips and anything else you could use but no luck.The sensor moves round a little bit but that's it.I have about 3/4" left to play with so i drilled a hole through the sensor put some string through it tied to a metal bar put bit of 3x2 across my wings and tried to pull it out that way but the blasted thing is still stuck fast in the gearbox. I also tried to soften it with a hot air gun still did not move.Good old ford to fit something like this for us all to scratch are heads lol.
Old 25-09-2012, 09:53 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by smedcoates1960
I too am having a big problem regarding the removal of the speed sensor.The pin was not a problem,That came out in one piece,However the speed sensor is a complete nightmare,I have tried the mole grips and anything else you could use but no luck.The sensor moves round a little bit but that's it.I have about 3/4" left to play with so i drilled a hole through the sensor put some string through it tied to a metal bar put bit of 3x2 across my wings and tried to pull it out that way but the blasted thing is still stuck fast in the gearbox. I also tried to soften it with a hot air gun still did not move.Good old ford to fit something like this for us all to scratch are heads lol.
Yeah, I tried the rope trick too! Just keep wiggling - It ill come out eventually!
Old 25-09-2012, 10:01 AM
puddy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

On original Focus, vss fault meant that the speedo signal would drop out

(Speedo stops working) coming to roundabouts and junctions causing the engine to stall,

never noticed any other performance issues though.

I think I used to heat a screwdriver blade cherry red and set it into the sensor , although

that may have been mk1 renault 5's back in the day !

puddy
Old 25-09-2012, 10:25 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by puddy
On original Focus, vss fault meant that the speedo signal would drop out

(Speedo stops working) coming to roundabouts and junctions causing the engine to stall,

never noticed any other performance issues though.
The longer you leave it, the more problems is causes. First flickering speedo, then whole dash going off, and ultimately if can completely cut out on you at any speed.
Old 18-12-2012, 01:57 PM
maxwonga
Virgin

Default tips

Will be attempting mine in next week or so, would be interested to know if anyone has any other tips
Old 18-12-2012, 03:58 PM
pau1rs

well i did get if out,, i think i eventually drilled a hole,, screw into it a some mole grips to get it out,, but was 2 years ago,,

just make sure to remove pin, and lubricate well...
Old 18-12-2012, 04:07 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

The best tip does seem to be to 'shock it out' with a pair of grips, and someone whacking the grips from below.
Old 22-12-2012, 04:30 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I clamped mole grips on mine, then wiggled the grips as some one had a pry bar against the mole grips jaws whacking the bar from underneath, came out pretty quickly.

(was on a ramp though)
Old 22-12-2012, 05:15 PM
H3lsing
ffoc.co.uk

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll just leave this here for others trying this.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 PM
kjon
Virgin

done this the other day after reading up and seeing that it was a bugger to do and the pin twisted out first time and then 2 mins max to wiggle pull the sensor out new one in pin in job done took about 8 mins max was well surprised but relieved was not looking forward to it all done from the top no crawling underneath well happy car still playing up though idle no good at all next job look at icv oh well
Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM
cossiejay

does anyone know if the galaxy tdi 6 speed has one of these vss as my speedo has stopped working and I have a dancing fuel gauge
Old 30-01-2013, 03:54 PM
MufDriver3
Virgin

Smile

Hello People, just replaced mine,the pin was a bugger to get out but came out in the end,the plug connector is realeased by pushing on 1 side and upwards ,the sensor came out after soaking the day before with WD40 i used a pair of Mole grips from underneath the car to wiggle the sensor whilst pushing on the mole grips with a hammer came out in about 10 minutes.To fit new sensor lubricate with oil and insert into hole making sure pin hole is on correct side,i then pushed sensor in using the rubber handle end on my hammer connect plug and all done. Symptoms before were very slow acceleration 0-60 in about 20 seconds,loss of speedo and radio still playing but going quieter until speedo recovered.Hope this helps others.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 AM
tellylgeorge
Virgin

Default vss removal

Some great advice here. Replaced my VSS yesterday and glad I used some of this advice. Definately the best way to go is lubricate well before attempting to remove anything. The only advice not already mentioned is to remove the metal pin (which does protrude much to get grip with mole grips) I snapped off part of the plastic on the sensor which the pin goes through before it enters the gearbox casing. This will then expose more of the pin to grab with your grips. You'll be lucky to just pull the pin out without any leverage so grip the pin with your grips horizontal so you get small gap between the jaws when clamped tight. Then from underneath the car, drop a long strong screwdriver down through the gap in the jaws from above the grips so screwdriver is upright. There is a flat section on the gearbox casing that you can lever against to lever the pin out. Then grip the sensor in the same position and turn back and forth for 5 mins and get some lubrication on there. Finally, I used the end of a small crow bar to tap up from underneath near the jaws of the grips and the sensor popped out. If you oil the new one it should just slide in quite easily and grease the new pin. Job done. My speedo should never see 135 mph again.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:31 AM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Slide hammer
Old 21-03-2013, 11:27 PM
eltb99
Virgin

Default Wiggle away

Great advice about the wiggling technique, lubrication is also vital. Minimum 2 days prior to starting. The pin is tucked away so it helps to spray from all angles to make sure you get to it (removing all you can to give maximum work space is imperative and makes life so much easier).
Working from the top I used side cutters to grip the pin. It's soft but pretty strong so you can apply a bit of pressure and cut a small groove which gives added grip. With the side cutters against the the gearbox holding the pin (left hand) there's just enough room to get a small hammer and tap away until eventually fingers crossed you get some movement and it comes out.
Next comes the sensor, I advise giving it a little wiggle with the moles to test the water. If it feels solid give it another spray up, put the kettle on and give it an hour. Then carry on wiggling, wiggling really is key along with proper lubrication. If you snap it then you haven't wiggled enough! If you you don't get any movement after a good 30 mins of wiggling and lubing give her a poke at the base! Use a flat head and jam it down and inwards at a 45 degree angle and lever it. Then go back to wiggling! You should get some movement and eventually it pops out. Best feeling ever apart from popping it in!

Like a fool I didn't check the wiring to the sensor and just removed and replaced. Today after about 60miles of speedo assisted driving I was once again speedoless and stalling at junctions... Had a look at a suspect piece of electrical tape and wiggled that... Now it's working again, I'm going to strip the old tape off and insulate it properly.

Last edited by eltb99; 27-03-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: UPDATE:
Old 27-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Maxxoveride
Virgin

Smile VSS replaced today

Thanks to all of the posts here I went into the job expecting having to jack the car up and have loads of trouble. I had everything ready for the worse case scenario, but thankfully I didn't need any of it. I didn't even need any tools.

Once located, we disconnected the cable and set about finding the dreaded pin. After a couple of minutes we found the pin and it was different that expected, it more of a retaining pin with outside metal retaining arm. With a little wiggle it came out without any problems, I almost couldn't believe how easy it was. Removing the sensor was just the same, a quick wiggle and gentle upward pressure and out it came. We oils up the new one and inserted, and the hardest part followed, putting the pin back in. It was a case of time and trial and error to line the holes up. Taking into account we did this from the top of the engine, used no tools, and took only 20 mind, I was really happy. I guess I have been lucky.

My speedo now works fine.

Just want to say a big thank you to maker of the vid and all the postings with their stories and advice, it really helped me and made what we expected to be a bugger to be simple.

Thanks Everyone
Old 28-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Stevo_GTI
Virgin

Spent 3-4 hours on mine today and the bastard is still jammed in there. The pin come out after a good while but now the actual sensor is being a bitch - used shit loads of wd40 on it and got the mole grips and I've been twisting it and smacking them upwards and pushing upwards on them whilst twisting but it just doesn't wanna come out grrrrrrrrr
Old 28-08-2013, 05:49 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by doga-ot
Slide hammer
That's what I've used in the past, smash the top off then drill it with 1/8th drill bit, most dent pullers have a long coarse screw in the kit, used that on the dent puller/slide hammer, this was after doing the smack the mole grips method.

Problem with them is the 2 O ring seals on the VSS, they must swell up and grip the gearbox casing.

I've done them where they 'just' pop out, then others have needed the slide hammer treatment.
Old 28-08-2013, 06:02 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

pmsl at the vid - 'carburettor'
Old 30-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Stevo_GTI
Virgin

Thought I'd have another go at it today and still no luck, Thought leaving the wd40 to work it's magic for a couple of days might do the trick but no

The speed sensor is spinning around but no matter how many times I smack the mole grips with the hammer from underneath or pull it with the mole grips from above it just doesn't want to come out
Old 30-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Stevo_GTI
Virgin

Managed to do it eventually what a pain in the arse, I'd rather remove a V6 engine from a vectra than do that again
Old 30-08-2013, 05:55 PM
H3lsing
ffoc.co.uk

So new ones in an all working again, cool .
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 AM
dancool27
Virgin

How important is the pin? Just had a look at mine as having issues and pulled it straight out, no pin to be found
Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 PM
H3lsing
ffoc.co.uk

...And walla, mines on the blink now too .
Old 17-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Victory_in_Christ
Virgin

Default My method...

I replaced mine last week! It was a right mother to do but now it's in, all the dash lights have gone out (as has the Traction light) & all is working fine. I replaced the pin with a long screw slightly thinner than the original pin (I removed the threaded part). I left the head of the screw on so it can be removed more easily if it needs to come out again (see pics).

It's by far easiest to remove the sensor/pin from underneath. I smashed the pin-hole part on the sensor with a screwdriver/hammer so I could get more of the mole-grips on the pin. It was a wrestle but it comes out with some WD & a twisting/bending motion. Don't worry about knackering the pin as you won't be using it again.

I also used mole-grips on the sensor (tight) as close down to the gearbox as possible then twisted a few times before tapping with a bolster + hammer (as close to the mole-grip where it is tightened to the sensor). Just a few taps & it was out (after a few twists).

After greasing the rubber rings on the new sensor, it went in easily. It's not as tough a job once you know how to get the pin/sensor out. You'll only need to jack up the nearside of the car (I used 2 axle stands on the chassis at the car centre, one behind the other to be safe).

Good luck...

Get your grips tight like this when it's still in the gearbox & tap out with a bolster + hammer.
Twist the sensor a few times first to loosen it...

Last edited by Victory_in_Christ; 23-04-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Adding images
Old 03-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Dalboy
Virgin

Originally Posted by Stevo_GTI
Managed to do it eventually what a pain in the arse, I'd rather remove a V6 engine from a vectra than do that again
How did you manage to get it out in the end ?
Old 03-02-2016, 05:51 PM
anthony lea
Ford allegiance

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I took mine to fords in the end
Old 05-02-2016, 10:00 AM
steveo3002

i got the grips on like the pic above , then a large prybar against the box and the grips and it popped out no bother

i think its important to start with some good grips before the sensor gets chewed up too much ,its not the job for poundland tools
Old 05-02-2016, 07:19 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo3002
i got the grips on like the pic above , then a large prybar against the box and the grips and it popped out no bother

i think its important to start with some good grips before the sensor gets chewed up too much ,its not the job for poundland tools
This! Bloke at my work tried getting the pin out of his with a pair of side cutters a proper set of mole grips that grip hard and work it backwards and forwards while levering the grips sideways is the way to do it, come out piece of piss then.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:54 PM
plexman
Virgin

While trying to change my vss I managed to break the metal pin off flush with the casing.

Anybody have any good ideas as to how to remove the rest of the pin?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:48 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by plexman
While trying to change my vss I managed to break the metal pin off flush with the casing.

Anybody have any good ideas as to how to remove the rest of the pin?

Thanks.
Drill the pin out?

Quick Reply: focus speed sensor removal issues..