Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Mk1 focus rs on cat c

Search this Thread

Old 29-09-2013, 05:05 PM
myoldfiesta
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mk1 focus rs on cat c

Hi all,
Been offered this frs mk1 in px against my 2.0l diesel vw jetta plus some cash,
Now he knows its on the register not sure on cat c or d though,
He's asking 6000 for it now is that a reasonable price?
I saw 1 on ebay for 5k but it sounded dodgy as fhooook compared to this which he's had for years,
It's also been remapped by puma build to 250 ish bhp, got the genuine seat covers on the front seats, genuine mats, not in too bad condition with 70,000 on it,
Cheers for any help
Old 29-09-2013, 05:14 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Price sounds a bit high for a cat C/D car but it depends on what the original damage was, how well it's been repaired, general condition etc
Old 29-09-2013, 05:17 PM
dodge8283
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

too high for cat c/d car imo, can pick cars up not on the register for similar price
Old 29-09-2013, 05:44 PM
myoldfiesta

After looking over the car I'd say it was a ns rear quarter panel, and generally it's ok, few stone chips on the front end and a few wheel scuffs but that's nothing really,
And for what it's worth I've knocked him down on the price by 500 anyway,

Forgot to mention its got an alarm system on it that texts you if it's under attack, if you press a button if someone's trying to get you out the car it will disable the engine, and its trackered up as well
Old 29-09-2013, 05:56 PM
BigChuck
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

6k is way too much for something on the register, and i'd say finding out if it was cat c or d will make a difference to the price as well.

do a proper hpi and see what it says if your seriously interested in it.

price wont matter too much if you buy on condition and plan to keep it for a while, when it comes to sell it thats whn you might take a hit if you pay over the odds for it now, being on the list will put a lot of people off
Old 29-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Nick 172 Sport
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigChuck
6k is way too much for something on the register, and i'd say finding out if it was cat c or d will make a difference to the price as well.

price wont matter too much if you buy on condition and plan to keep it for a while, when it comes to sell it thats whn you might take a hit if you pay over the odds for it now, being on the list will put a lot of people off
doesnt put me off ive had a few as long as it has been repaired properly
Old 29-09-2013, 06:33 PM
myoldfiesta

Originally Posted by Nick 172 Sport
As I say after a long look around all I could see was something on the inner boot panel at the back, one sides the same as the car and the other is a little dull, other than than I can't see anything.

I did hpi earlier but as he has a private reg on it,it won't confirm what's there
Old 29-09-2013, 06:57 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty sure Cat C states it on the log book, it used to at any rate. Cat C is going to devalue it further than a Cat D.

From experience they tend to be 20-30% less than a non recorded car so don't buy in the thinking your getting a bargain and will be able to sell on for more. Some will say it makes no difference, but then see which car they choose between a recorded car and a non recorded priced the same.

As Nick says, if repaired well they can be fine to own but are just worth less.
Old 29-09-2013, 07:23 PM
myoldfiesta

Car for around the same price non recorded are over the 100k mark, which with history on paper I know shouldn't be an issue, I know the guy and his brother and what they're like with blue ovals, he's had it for 4ish years and its cleaned more than its used
it's more the novelty of being able to own one at my age to be honest, in a few years it won't be the best example or the one with clear hpi but it will still have value
Old 29-09-2013, 07:33 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If its a good one and they have had it a while and it hasn't just been repaired so any issues will have been sorted then I can't see the harm, its just a case or remembering it wont be worth market value so if you get it cheaper, you'll have to accept you'll have to sell it cheaper. Also check insurance, some places wont touch them.

If they are fixed right they can like you say, be a great way to get yourself into a nice motor that otherwise would have been out of you league.
Old 29-09-2013, 09:19 PM
youngben

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

looking at cars and thought this is relevant for you.

This is classed as a Cat D and Cat C is deemed worse...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-62-RE...item3cd5bd202e

i would want more than someones word when buying a crash damaged car
Old 29-09-2013, 09:25 PM
fiestaturbo1984
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by youngben
looking at cars and thought this is relevant for you.

This is classed as a Cat D and Cat C is deemed worse...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-62-RE...item3cd5bd202e

i would want more than someones word when buying a crash damaged car
Not really comparable as that scirocco is almost new so the damage has also happened fairly recently. The value of the car when written off could be far greater than what the focus was worth as there is no mention of when it was damaged.

I used to work in a bodyshop and did a few estimates and i once wrote off a civic because we couldn't get a door moulding. It went on cat c.
Old 29-09-2013, 09:43 PM
myoldfiesta

Originally Posted by fiestaturbo1984
Not really comparable as that scirocco is almost new so the damage has also happened fairly recently. The value of the car when written off could be far greater than what the focus was worth as there is no mention of when it was damaged.

I used to work in a bodyshop and did a few estimates and i once wrote off a civic because we couldn't get a door moulding. It went on cat c.
Beat me to it lol,

Focus rs mk1's didn't have many replacement panels available hence if you find one now its mega expensive, therefore a frs has a bump, no genuine parts from the dealer means no repair, means total loss,means cat c or d due to the insurance basing it on the cost o repair compared to the value of the car.

I've seen ka's get written off for car park dings, a 200 repair on a 500 quid car, not worth it
Old 29-09-2013, 09:56 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BigChuck

100% spot on.
Originally Posted by Nick 172 Sport
It may not put you off but it will certainly put the majority off which when you come to sell it means you are limiting your potential customers straightaway. Also as someone else has already said, if there's a choice between a non-cat car and a categorised car the non-cat car is going to sell first unless the categorised car is substantially cheaper and at £6k (or £5.5k now he has haggled) this one isn't that much cheaper than a straight car. Also if the OP has managed to find what the damage was due to one side being more dull than the other then the repair also sounds substandard.
Old 29-09-2013, 09:58 PM
youngben

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what i was getting at is say that was the car in question i would not want to own it! how ever much was taken off the price! even though its only down as being a Cat D! Focus RS was £20k once upon of time and no date has been given of when it was in a smash if you want to go on cost?

Its a Cat D at the end of the day so even though there's a cheep pile of poo it doesn't mean everyone should go out and buy a pile of poo as there could be more to the story without picture evidence!

I myself have owned a Cat D Mk1 RS back when they were a couple of years old and paid £13k for that modded against cars that were £17k same mileage un modded as a comparison.

Last edited by youngben; 29-09-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 30-09-2013, 08:05 AM
myoldfiesta

Ahhh fair enough,
Comparing it to similar cars now they've all got another 30k miles on them in around the same condition but are still closer to £7000 than £6000