Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Fault code p1639

Search this Thread

Old 16-09-2013, 05:41 PM
bobbob
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fault code p1639

Hi all I have issue with my focus RS mk2 60 reg it lacks power, I've only owned it for 5 days. It's come up with p1639 vehicle Id block corrupted or not programmed dtc below minimum threshold, dtc present. It has run out of ford warranty so going to be out of my pocket, any help would be great, thanks
Old 16-09-2013, 06:24 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you buy it privately?
Old 16-09-2013, 06:30 PM
bobbob
Regular Contributor

Yes I did, typical I know
Old 16-09-2013, 06:37 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Not something I've seen before, but appears to be a programming error, may have had later calibration loaded or even a new PCM?

P1639 FORD - Vehicle ID Block Corrupted or Not Programmed
Possible causes
- New PCM-Needs programming
- Incorrect VID configuration
As part of the calibration there is an area referred to as the Vehicle Identification (VID) block. The VID block must be programmed when replacing the PCM as described under Programming the VID Block for a Replacement PCM. Failure to perform this procedure may generate fault codes: P1635, P1639, VID Block not programmed or is corrupt. The VID block in an existing PCM can also be tailored to accommodate various hardware/parameter changes made to the vehicle since production. Failure to perform this procedure properly may generate fault code: P1635, Tire/Axle Ratio out of Acceptable Range is one of the main causes for code: P1639. This is described under Making Changes to the VID Block and also under Making Changes to the PCM Calibration. The VID block contains many items used by the strategy for a variety of functions. Some of these items include the VIN number, octane adjust, fuel octane, fuel type, vehicle speed limit, tire size, axle ratio, the presence of speed control and four wheel drive electronic shift on the fly versus manual shift on the fly. Only items applicable to vehicle hardware and supported by the VID block will be displayed on the scan tool.
Case of someone who knows what they're doing with IDS to check the calibration and any programmable parameters (tyre size/axle (final drive) ratio etc)

Does it have standard size wheels/tyres on it?

Last edited by GVK.; 16-09-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 16-09-2013, 06:55 PM
bobbob
Regular Contributor

Ok thank you for your reply, if it was a later calibration loaded by ford should it not display this. I thought maybe it might display this as someone has tried to remap the car, it's gone wrong and have actually made the car worse. It's been like this since I bought it 5 days ago and it just felt very under powerd to my friends standard car wich I only drove today so now know it has a fault.
Old 16-09-2013, 07:11 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

I have (touch wood) loaded later calibrations on hundreds of Fords over the years (since about 1996) and never had one fail. I would expect if a cal failed to load (if for example battery voltage went too far low) it would wipe the PCM altogether (blank it)

On most Fords, there is a section on the Ford IDS tool 'programmable parameters' where you can select tyre sizes and axle ratios, and if supported octane levels, amongst other things. It maybe that the car has had a replacement PCM (can you see if it still has the tamperproof security bolt on the PCM cage?) and the parameters have not been loaded / selected correctly.

All guess work really without knowing previous history of any repairs/replacements to any modules.

Now, whether the programming issue will cause a lack of power, I'm not sure in all honesty, the suggestions on the other thread (boost solenoid) will cause it for sure, but this fault needs sorting too.
Old 16-09-2013, 07:20 PM
bobbob
Regular Contributor

Ok thank you well looks like I need to find a ford garage that knows what there doing. I accept that the boost solenoid may be an issue but when the car boosts it makes full and holds full,which is why i dont think its that but i might be completely wrong, it just feels underpowered, it's weird
Old 17-09-2013, 03:00 PM
bobbob
Regular Contributor

Well it's now booked into fords, I have been told by the dealer that it had a pcm update in January this year. I'm leading to think maybe the update has caused the power loss. But more worrying is the fact they don't know if they will be able to fix it as they don't think they can change the update, unless ford released a new update they can't change it.