Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Rear wheel bearing noises...??

Search this Thread

Old 14-05-2011, 10:22 PM
will16v
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing noises...??

Over the last couple of days, i've noticed that the roadnoise from the rear of the car is becoming louder. I've fitted some ST170 wheels to my 2003 Focus Zetec a few months ago - when i fitted them, the road noise was noticably louder from the tyres bigger wheels and tyres, but over the last couple of days, the rears seem to have increased in road noise again, like when i fitted the ST170 wheels.
Could this be the wheel bearing(s) or maybe the tyres?? And if it is the rear bearings would it be becuase i've put the St170 wheels on causing more wear?

Also, twice today, there was a weird metallic scraping noise coming from the rear, like something was hanging off the car and scraping on the road, but only lasted for a few seconds whilst in 1st gear pulling away.
I've looked underneath but theres nothing hanging off or missing...i'm totally stumped!
I might try swapping the front wheels with the back ones and check the rears for play or movement tomorrow, but has anyone else had this?

The scraping noise didn't sound too healthy! - possiblkr bearing failure maybe?

Last edited by will16v; 14-05-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 14-05-2011, 10:35 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

jack it up and spin each wheel you should be able to hear a rumble if the bearing is gone, its possible the bearing was on its way out and fitting the bigger wheels has just finished it off, piece of piss and cheap as chips to do a rear bearing on a focus
Old 14-05-2011, 10:41 PM
will16v

Cheers, will try it tomorrow - i take it i'll need the hub assembly off and a press to get the old bearing out and new one in?
Old 15-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Cozziekid
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your rear brake pads/shoes also as these can make a metallic scraping noise when worn completely.
Old 15-05-2011, 01:57 PM
will16v

Originally Posted by Cozziekid
Check your rear brake pads/shoes also as these can make a metallic scraping noise when worn completely.
Yeah, i thought about that, but i thought that the rear shoes would be more like a grinding/,metal on metal noise when the brakes are applied - the noise is like a heat sheild or some thin metallic thing scraping on the back when the brakes are NOT on - maybe bearing breaking up...?
But should get it in bits although at work for next 4 days - hope it lasts
Old 15-05-2011, 07:26 PM
focus 4x4
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear wheel bearings break up very quickly on these pal.

Also check your rear tyres arent shaped like 50 pence pieces ,particually on the inside edges . The uk's shitty road surfaces kill cheap tyres , which can make the tyre noise sound like a wheel bearing failure.
Old 15-05-2011, 07:33 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

if its rear you only need to take the drum off not hub assembely then remove the circlip, bash the old bearing out with a hammer and big socket then use the old bearing to press the new one in with either a hammer or a vice then re fit circlip and drum!
Old 16-05-2011, 05:33 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by focus 4x4
Also check your rear tyres arent shaped like 50 pence pieces ,particually on the inside edges . The uk's shitty road surfaces kill cheap tyres , which can make the tyre noise sound like a wheel bearing failure.
Exactly what I've got now, some fucker put low rent tyres on it before I bought it
Old 17-05-2011, 01:43 PM
will16v

Well, I checked the bearing on the passenger side, not too bad, a bit noisy though, but drivers side was screwed! I could move the wheel towards me with a hand on each side and there was loads of play - didn't feel good at all, plus it was rumbling like hell!

Anyway, i had a look at what was involved in decided to take it to the garage down the road cos i don't have all the right tools to do the job myself, besides, i managed to get 2 new genuine ford wheel bearings with new hub nuts and circlips etc for Ł60 for the pair Ford are doing them for Ł67 each!

So i suppose the cash i saved on those can go towards paying for it done properly (i.e not by me with a hammer, foul language and 20 B&H silver) - Ł75 for both bearings fitted
Old 26-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Yanikydane
Virgin

It’s really great posts.

Last edited by Yanikydane; 19-06-2014 at 09:36 PM.