Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Refitting Standard Cams/pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:45 PM
hineho87
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Refitting Standard Cams/pulleys

Hi,

Is the process of refitting standard cams/pulleys alot easier than fitting aftermarket cams as they wont need to be dialled in and set up on a RR?

Just wonderin whether its worth swapping my cams and putting the standard ones back in. I know a mechanic that will do it for me if its just matter of swapping them over

Car is a 1.8 blacktop Zetec if that makes any difference

Thanks

Matt
Old 11-11-2010, 11:26 AM
hogdog
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's quite hard to work out exactly what you mean.

If you already have aftermarket cams fitted why would fitting standard cams be easier than just leaving them?

You don't have to have aftermarket cams set up on the R.R but you won't gain much power unless you do.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 PM
hineho87
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by hogdog
It's quite hard to work out exactly what you mean.

If you already have aftermarket cams fitted why would fitting standard cams be easier than just leaving them?

You don't have to have aftermarket cams set up on the R.R but you won't gain much power unless you do.
Sorry, i meant iv got Kent cams in at the moment and had them set up on RR.

Im looking at sellin my car in march/april time and will get more moeny by selling the other mods i have then selling it as a moded car.

So didnt want a std looking car that had aftermarket cams fitted. SO wanted to see if it was an easier job to fit std cams or if fitment of any sort of cams is the same process. Its just i have std cams and pulleys sitting aorund and my kent cams/pulleys will be worth £200+ to sell on their own

Hope that makes sense?
Old 15-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have standard cams and pulleys and can get hold of a cam locking kit then it would be simple to change back to standard stuff, just the same as changing a cam belt except you unbolt the cams too. I assume you only have a vernier pulley on the exhaust cam? If you have ditched the vvt on the inlet cam then it is not a very simple task at all.
Old 15-11-2010, 02:43 PM
hineho87
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Sp3no
If you have standard cams and pulleys and can get hold of a cam locking kit then it would be simple to change back to standard stuff, just the same as changing a cam belt except you unbolt the cams too. I assume you only have a vernier pulley on the exhaust cam? If you have ditched the vvt on the inlet cam then it is not a very simple task at all.
sorry m8, the car is the 1.8 zetec so has both exhaust and inlet verniers. The cam belt wasnt changed long ago. So how long you think roughly this shud take?

Im hopin by doing this i can make some money from selling the aftermarket cams
Old 16-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Sp3no

My bad i did not spot it was a 1.8
Well i did my cam belt change in half a day and i took my time cleaning stuff as i went along. For the sake of £20 i would sling a new belt on when you stick the standard cams back in.
Its a very simple job to do, once you lock the cams in place you cant go wrong really
Old 16-11-2010, 06:01 PM
hineho87
Regular Contributor

My bad i did not spot it was a 1.8
Well i did my cam belt change in half a day and i took my time cleaning stuff as i went along. For the sake of £20 i would sling a new belt on when you stick the standard cams back in.
Its a very simple job to do, once you lock the cams in place you cant go wrong really
no worries m8, cheers for the info. Will av word with the mechanic i use for a price now iv got an idea. Will help me see if its worth doing it or not.

Need find out if its worth puttin car back to std and then sellin the aftermarket parts on. Think webuyanycar offered £1,500 and will prob get another £1k or so for sellin parts on, so not sure if i will get more than £2,5k for my car or not?!?
Old 17-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Sp3no

ignor the prices we buy any car quote, they will only give me £2250 for my ST170 which is a joke i could get nearly £4000 for it tomorrow as its immaculate
Old 17-11-2010, 01:22 PM
hineho87
Regular Contributor

ignor the prices we buy any car quote, they will only give me £2250 for my ST170 which is a joke i could get nearly £4000 for it tomorrow as its immaculate
yea i did m8, just knew that wud be the lowest i wud get selling it std. Dont think i wud get more than £2,5k/£3k selling it modified as a private sale, but got no way to find out wot its worth?!? But like urs its immaculate inside and out

Last edited by hineho87; 17-11-2010 at 01:26 PM.