Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Focus TDCI starting problems !!

Old 20-06-2010, 05:40 PM
unfocused
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus TDCI starting problems !!

Hi all,

I have a Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI on an 06 plate and on Thursday it wouldnt start. I went about 2 miles up the road in it to the bank and when i came back it just clicked but wouldn't turn over. So i called the dreaded Alcoholics Anonymous who said it was a dead battery (which i didnt think it was as everything else was still working fans, radio, windows etc.) but anyway he stuck his booster pack on it and it still didnt start (Ha :P). so he checked the voltage at the battery (which i already had) and it was 12.2 at rest and about 10.3V with ignition trying to crank. The solenoid clicks but the motor wont turn on the starter. So we done the old trick of rocking the car, then t*atting it with a bar (the starter not the car lol) and it still wouldnt go! so he checked for earth leakage and it was only losing 0.4V so it wasnt a bad earth. So finally he condemned the starter and we bumped it and i got it home ok.

So yesterday i stripped the starter out and took to be looked at, and the bloke stripped it down and said it had shattered the magnet in the motor from T*atting it. He repaired it showed me it working (both motor and solenoid) and i put it all back in and tried it ............ Click - No cranking

It appears that there is power to the solenoid but nothing to the motor.

Dont know if this is related but for the past week when we started the car (position 3) it made a slight crackling noise through the front speakers.

I have traced the wire from the igniton through to as close to the bulkhead as i can and can see no broken wires.
The ignition itself is giving 10 volts onto the Grey/Black wire when trying to start.
I have checked all the fuses and relays that appear to be starter/engine related and all appear fine.

I am now officially stumped so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Unfocused

Last edited by unfocused; 20-06-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Retroho
Virgin

Hello, Did you ever get to the bottom of this fault? I am helping a mate of mine with a Mondeo st tdci with what seems to be the same fault.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:36 PM
unfocused
Virgin

Originally Posted by Retroho
Hello, Did you ever get to the bottom of this fault? I am helping a mate of mine with a Mondeo st tdci with what seems to be the same fault.
Yes we solved it. Its another case of those robbing B***ards Ford again because i bet they know about this fault and charge people a fortune to fix them.

It is so simple you wont believe what it was.

If you look at the battery on the front left hand side coming down from the terminal there is a little black block, underneath that black plastic are 2 metal terminals which are bridged by some solder. What had happened to mine was that the solder had melted through (probably a failsafe if the strater motor cranks too many amps or gets too hot). This i presume effectively creates a thermal fuse. We just re-soldered it (which took some doing) and hey presto it fired up first time.

Hope this helps
Old 14-12-2010, 01:13 PM
thegoat

unfocused got any photos of is little black block
i'm having simalar probelms with my focus, but i can't see this little black block you speak of
Old 14-12-2010, 07:40 PM
unfocused
Virgin

Thegoat,

No im sorry no photos but the block is literally 1 - 2 inches from the battery terminal at the front of the battery.

It is just a small inline plastic block, you may have to prize the plastic apart if i remember correctly.

Mine was the newer shape (06) before the final facelift (07).

Regards
Old 15-12-2010, 04:38 AM
thegoat

thanks for reply