Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

2004 TDCI with air in the fuel system

Old 19-01-2017, 08:36 AM
Gregr68
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 TDCI with air in the fuel system

Hi people
I'm new to the forum, but have a issue with 2004 1.8 TDCI which just refuses to start.
Its had a problem since I bought it (privately) in that fuel drains back from the pump/filter stopping the car from starting. This is a lot worse in the winter than the summer, which would infer an air leakage due to temperature shrinkage.

If I prime the filter either from the tank or separate source, the car starts / runs without issue, but if its then turned off for a short period it fails to start again.

I've checked the tank and fuel lines for blockages and there's none. I've changed the cam sensor / inlet metering valve / fuel rail pressure regulator due to a fuel pressure error code, but still nothing. Ive also changed back to a FORD filter as recommended in case of any air gaps etc. but no joy.

Anyone any ideas as to what could be causing the problem?

Greg
Old 31-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Gregr68
Virgin

Guys and Girls any comments / advise on this would be appreciated

Cheers
Old 31-01-2017, 03:23 PM
BLU
BLU is the new black :)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The usual suspect is leak off pipes or leak off seals. Have a look around the injectors, see if there any dampness. Failing that it'll probably be a pipe thats split or rubbed through somewhere. Have a good nose at all the fuel pipes and look for signs of damp or rubbing.
Old 31-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Gregr68
Virgin

Originally Posted by BLU
The usual suspect is leak off pipes or leak off seals. Have a look around the injectors, see if there any dampness. Failing that it'll probably be a pipe thats split or rubbed through somewhere. Have a good nose at all the fuel pipes and look for signs of damp or rubbing.
Thanks for this BLU. There's never been a sign of dampness around any of the injectors and I've done a basic check over of the pipes and all seems to be in order. Is it possible for a leak off seal to go without diesel leakage? Also is it possible to buy a complete set of leak off pipes / seals etc from anywhere other than Fords if they are required?

Cheers Greg
Old 01-02-2017, 10:13 AM
BLU
BLU is the new black :)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregr68
Thanks for this BLU. There's never been a sign of dampness around any of the injectors and I've done a basic check over of the pipes and all seems to be in order. Is it possible for a leak off seal to go without diesel leakage? Also is it possible to buy a complete set of leak off pipes / seals etc from anywhere other than Fords if they are required?

Cheers Greg
Possible yes, but unusual. There is usually some sign of diesel at the leak, even if its just weeped a tad. It could be any of the diesel pipes or a seal. You need to follow the pipes with a fine tooth comb from the tank to the engine, it'll be there somewhere.
As for pipes not entirely sure. eBay is good for getting cheap dealer only parts
The following users liked this post:
Gregr68 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Gregr68
Virgin

Originally Posted by BLU
Possible yes, but unusual. There is usually some sign of diesel at the leak, even if its just weeped a tad. It could be any of the diesel pipes or a seal. You need to follow the pipes with a fine tooth comb from the tank to the engine, it'll be there somewhere.
As for pipes not entirely sure. eBay is good for getting cheap dealer only parts
BLU, I'll have a another look but there's no leakage of diesel anywhere on the system and difficult to determine a leak on the pipe seals without signs of diesel. Can you think of a way for this to be achieved. I'm thinking something that would work in situ as removal of pipes etc has been fruitless so far.

Search this Thread