Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

TDCI Vacuum operated Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 14-01-2017, 02:18 PM
mcbutler
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDCI Vacuum operated Turbo

Hi All,

Ok I have an 04 (2004) plate Mk1 focus 1.8 TDCI. Only got 65K on the clock and its very well looked after.

Yesterday evening when leaving the toll booths on the Tamar Bridge here in Devon I noticed the engine management light come on.
As the car has been whistling slightly I guess its turbo related.
So, I disconnected the inlet pipes (under pressure from the turbo) from the EGR, put my hand over the EGR end and had a friend rev the car, no leaks at all and the pipes were well swollen so they are very good condition.

We then checked the actuator. The turbo is fixed vane vacuum solenoid operated. When the car is revved the actuator for want of a better word 'jiggles' and moves the arm up and down rapidly.

I tried moving the arm manually by pressing down on it with the engine off and movement is very limited, maybe half a centimetre or so.

If anyone else out there has this car with the vaccum turbo fitted I would appreciate it if you could give yours a poke and tell me how much it moves.

The actuators are available separately for around £20 as opposed to £400 for the turbo unit

Many thanks chaps, you all ROK.....
Old 27-02-2017, 08:15 AM
richardindorset

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully someone will let us know what the actuator should do under normal conditions when idling...

Your problem is probably a vacuum leak or duff turbo control solenoid.

It buried somewhere low down, behind the engine, I think. (I have yet to actually find it!)

The actuator on mine continually moves slowly up then jumps back, when the engine is idling.

I get P0299 underboost codes.

When I find the solenoid, I'll take it off and clean it's air filter.
Old 28-02-2017, 11:28 AM
richardindorset

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

See my other post P0299 underboost. problem solved!