Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

No start 1.6 TDCi

Old 29-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Smirny
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start 1.6 TDCi

For the past 8 years I owned a Mondeo '02 LX. MOT was due in a few months so decided to get rid. Being impulsive I saw a black Focus 1.6TDCi. To cut a long story short. I bought it off Ebay as it was a dealer I managed to get 14 days warranty on it. After one week blue smoke and turbo broke. Asked him to honour the warranty. He took the car for 2 weeks and put a replacement turbo on it saying it was all he was going to do and a lot of swearing at me about how honest he was and the fact it had a problem with the injectors. End of contact with him. Blue smoke still piling out of it I saw and heard one injector puffing. Got the copper washer and replaced it. Car will now not start. No ECU codes as I guess he has cleared them. EML is on. Been the owner for 2 months and only managed to cover 350 miles in it. Any help would be fantastic. Feel so stupid was in the motor trade for 15 years and left, now I haven't got a clue.
Old 29-03-2016, 04:48 PM
H3lsing
ffoc.co.uk

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Stuck egr valve? I would try disconnect it and then give her a crank.
Is it getting fuel? if it was run low there would be air in the system and dervs kick up a fuss about that.

Last edited by H3lsing; 29-03-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 29-03-2016, 04:51 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

If you don't already know it's the engine that will be shagged but the turbo gets blamed,the 1.6 tdci engines are notorious for it.
Sounds like you bought someone else's problems i think.
Old 29-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Smirny
Virgin

I did research EGR valves. Would it stop it starting? Will give it a go once the rain has stopped a bit. Thanks
Old 29-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Smirny
Virgin

Yeah Lee, don't I know it. Have done a lot of web trawling about the coke issues with them. Have had to learn a lot quick, ordered an EGR blank, was doing the injectors, new oil pick up etc. Just swapping this injector seal has got me stumped.
Old 29-03-2016, 06:35 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

If you bought it from a trader then by law he has to put it right. He can use second hand parts if they are suitable but it's against the law what he is doing.

The law has recently changed more in the favour of a buyer so I would definitely be seeking legal advice.
Old 29-03-2016, 09:46 PM
Smirny
Virgin

As he so eloquently pointed out to me despite the fact I asked what the reserve price was the car was sold as is, so he wants no responsibility. I informed him within the 14 days that the car was faulty and I even left poor feedback on Ebay which Ebay decided to retract. Wouldn't know how to go about doing anything else apart from trying to fix it up and try and pass it on a car supermarket type organisation. Maybe I need to call Trading Standards. Thank you for that.
Old 29-03-2016, 09:53 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

if you have had an injector out the fuel system will need bleeding i attach a pump to the fuel return line and suck until im just getting fuel and no air and then they fire straight up usually sometimes need a little and i mean a little squirt of easystart. if you have not recut the cylinder head face and end of the injector dont expect the copper washer to last very long. and as above usually if the turbo is shagged its a sign the oil galleries are sludged up there is a filter in the oil feed pipe to the turbo on these that block up as well. All in all they are a pretty dreadfull engine once they have a few miles on them
Old 29-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Smirny
Virgin

Did read about the filter in the turbo oil feed but my dealer guy told me he had replaced it. As for the reaming of the injector seat I did know and have it from a reliable source they last for about 2k miles if you don't do them properly, that is all I will need, hopefully. I will get the line bled in the Morning and check the EGR. Only have tomorrow as back at work on Thursday. I have brought a right lemon here. Certainly was not using my brain when I bought it. Thanks guys.