Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Focus 06 1.8 ltr tdci sport - power loss/limp mode, HELP!!

Old 17-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Leady78
Virgin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Focus 06 1.8 ltr tdci sport - power loss/limp mode, HELP!!

i hope the title explains correctly but if not here's a quick overview. Yesterday I developed an issue with my 2006 focus 1.8 ltr tdci sport. When driving at around 50 mph cruising, and I noticed a warning message stating 'engine system failure' and when I slowed down at a junction, I started to pull away and I noticed a massive loss in power, the Rev counter revs up to 3k then stays there as if it's rev limited and takes for ever to build up speed. Does anybody have any ideas?

To add insult to injury my bonnet has decided to not open as if the release mech has failed but it worked less than a week ago any ideas how to open without getting a ford dealer to open and replace bonnet catch for £200?

Last edited by Leady78; 17-06-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 17-06-2015, 01:39 PM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I would start by getting the fault codes read.
Old 18-06-2015, 01:21 PM
salsheikh
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the bonnet catch will cost approx £100 as i had mine done recently by ford.
with regards to the other issue, i agree with oldford and get the codes read to see what has been stored by the ecu and work n it that way.
you asked how much the glowplugs cost on another thread - check on the eurocarparts website to get an idea!
Old 19-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Leady78
Virgin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, thanks for the replies I have had but I thought I'd keep updated- I have managed the gain access to my bonnet by breaking through the radiator grille and disconnecting the bonnet release cable attached to the lock assembly ( a right bugger of a job) Once I had access to the engine bay I got the ECU read for 'engine system fault' it turned out to be defective glo plugs, once replaced I had the bonnet release mechanism rebuilt and new grille put on job done!!!!! Thank fook ��
The following users liked this post:
salsheikh (19-06-2015)
Old 04-10-2016, 09:13 AM
Martin Taylor
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi My focus 2006 also went into limp mode, tried everything cleaning egr valve, new fuel filter all electrics checked even by ford them selves, l was lucky my mate works there so just parts. I nearly gave up 5 weeks off the road. read a post on some forum about changing the glow plugs, I thought that's crap but to my amazement it worked, I could not believe it I took the car back to ford and told them what I did, my mate at ford was astonished as they had no fault code for this, the car has been perfect ever since, well chuffed with myself best £44 pound I ever spent. I do recommend you try it if all else fails.
Martin