Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

1.8 MK2 TDCi (2006) - occasional hesitation at junctions/roundabouts

Search this Thread

Old 18-06-2014, 01:08 PM
r_holmes22
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8 MK2 TDCi (2006) - occasional hesitation at junctions/roundabouts

Hopefully got the basics into the title. I've owned the car since Sept 2009 when it had 21k miles on the clock (it now has 86k). It has always featured this 'problem', which does not occur frequently enough to warrant spending £££££s getting it diagnosed and fixed. I'm wondering whether anybody else has experienced it.

Occasionally it seems to drop power when I try to pull away from junctions or roundabouts. It starts up perfectly fine and I've never experienced the issue pulling out of my driveway. It doesn't even happen every day and haven't noticed any particular pattern behind it over the years. The only thing I would say is that it tends to happen most when I have increased the revs slightly in anticipation of pulling out then eased off because I've changed my mind or had to delay for a moment. If I then go to pull out a second or two later there's very little power and the engine almost stalls. I usually rescue it by dropping the clutch rather than by increasing the power, so I have no idea what impact the latter would have.

Other than that, the car runs just fine and I've had very few problems with it. It's mildly annoying when it does happen but hasn't caused me [m]any major problems. My previous car (Skoda Fabia) was a diesel, so it's not just a question of getting used to the slightly soggy starts compared to a petrol engine (also I've been driving the thing for getting on for five years now).

I'm just wondering whether these symptoms sound familiar to anybody? If so, any ideas what causes it?