Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Another TDCI hesitation/intermitent power loss issue thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 AM
TanksRS
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Another TDCI hesitation/intermitent power loss issue thread

I’ve been having issues with the engine lately, it’s an 05 TDCI. I had to have 2 injectors changed recently after a strong smell of fuel was making its way into the cabin. Turned out one or two seals were knackered. One injector disintegrated on removal, the other had another issue requiring both to be changed.

At the same time I was having an issue where the car would go into Limp mode, this fault was neigh on impossible to replicate, but would mainly affect the car on steep inclines, but not every time. Happened twice on different occasions before i put it in the garage. The car was put on a fault code reader but I forget now exactly what the faults were (I can update with them later). Typically it was really bad coming home over the mountains last night, to the point where the car felt as if it was going to cut out, but it didn’t go to limp mode this time!?

I did a bit of googling on the hesitation/power loss issue and found all different reasons from dirty fuel filter to a turbo showing signs of its way out.

Paperwork with the car showed the fuel filter was changed about 5,000 miles ago, so it’s unlikely to be a fuelling issue, no?

The posts about the turbo about to go mentions loss of power, and smoking a fair bit from it, but my car isn’t smoking at all! And it’s more of a hesitation for a second before power kicks back in than total power/boost drop.

The garage that did the injectors said that my car had the Peugeot engine in and he had lost count of the amount he’d seen with the turbo issue, but he wasn’t convinced that was what I was experiencing, but didn’t rule it out.

It has to go back to them on Friday to have the MAF sensor checked as when they checked it there was Oil on it, and apparently there shouldn’t be any oil getting close to that sensor!? It’s also been idling quite rough once or twice since I had it back so I need them to have a look at that too.

Anyone have experience of similar problem that can shed some light on what I may be experiencing?

Or do I follow a few posts on other threads and get rid of the car now before it gets expensive!!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:32 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What engine is it mate ?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:27 PM
TanksRS
Virgin

Ohh yeah that would have been a handy bit of info wouldn't it!

It's an 05 1.6 tdci.
Has had a new intercooler hose fitted in the last 6months too after it was found to be causing boost issues. This was before I bought the car tho.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:26 PM
TanksRS
Virgin

If it helps here’s the report on the work and the fault codes.
Will also try the fuel filter change anyway as it’s the cheaper option to start.

Noise from engine – found injector seals leaking. On removal found no 1+4 injector to be seized in cylinder head. Removed following severe soaking with appropriate fluids using injector puller.
Unavoidable damage caused to union on number 2 injector whilst removing using puller. Replaced union. Re-cut injector seats, rebuild using new washers, seals and retainers. Run engine to find no1 injector will not seal due to injector base wear. Replaced no1 injector and programmed. Run engine to find poor idle. Carried out injector leak off test to find no4 injector to have excess leak off. Replaced injector and re-coded. Test – ok.

Carried out Diagnostic test – reported loss of power.
Fault codes read as –
P138B – Glow plugs control module system voltage below min threshold
P0299 – Turbocharge under boost above max threshold
P0101 – Mass Air Flow range out of range or perfance
P0234 – Engine overboost condition below threshold
Cleaned Oil From MAF.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 PM
MrC
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like accelerator throttle sensor
Old 09-03-2013, 10:00 AM
TanksRS
Virgin

thanks for the advice.

went back to garage yesterday, and theres oil pooling in the MAF pipe again.

the guy said my better bet is to get rid of it before it blows.
otherwise I'm looking at 'about £750' for him to fix it.
that's how much he thinks the last one he fixed cost.

looks like one of these we buy your car places are about to do me a favour.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:14 AM
steviebannana
(MercinarymechanicS)

a freind of mine had same sort of problems (he was a bit tight on maintenance) after new injectors, the pdf started giving probs just like this (just some advice can be a bugger on these)
Old 09-03-2013, 12:29 PM
vitaliuoks
Virgin

hi there. i have a problem with my focus diesel. it lost the power.the engine id working billiant but there's no boost whenever you pressng the accelerator. i was told that the problem might be in airflow meter. so i've bought brand new one and stick it in but it still no difference.would anybody know what could cost the problem and would it be worth to fix it.the car is focus year 2000 1.8 diesel tddi 90 hp.