Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI

Search this Thread

Old 23-04-2012, 09:03 AM
dominicb
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI

Hi All i am new on here,

i have got a ford focus 1.8tdci 06 plate and have a problem when starting up from cold it has a stutter/misfire it only does this when cold.

If i get to 2000rpm it does not seem to stutter. Can anyone help me with this

Thanks

Dom
Old 23-04-2012, 10:00 AM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it O.K once its up and running ?

If so it could be a few things but I would be looking at the glow plugs to begin with.

When was the last service ?
Old 23-04-2012, 10:05 AM
dominicb
Virgin

i have just had it off a garage not a ford garage, they said they done a service on it so just. It is perfectly fine when it gets up to temperature. I did have a receipt for some glow plugs for the car when they had it so i am assuming they put new ones in.

Before i had the car they said there was a problem with the egr valve on it so they replaced and put a new one of them on.

It only happens when car is cold.
Old 23-04-2012, 10:13 AM
uruk hai

Perhaps who ever replaced the plugs thought like me that it could be the cause when in fact it appears to be something else ?

Not really sure ? How long have you had the car, how long are your journeys and how do you drive it ?
Old 23-04-2012, 10:21 AM
dominicb
Virgin

i have the car since wednesday, i do 28 mile journey to work and 28 back but my missus only goes a few miles. And dont drive the car hard at all.
Old 23-04-2012, 10:24 AM
uruk hai

In all honesty if you've only had it that long I would be taking it straight back or as its a "from cold" issue try to get someone to come out so they can see exactly what its like when starting and running from cold.
Old 23-04-2012, 10:28 AM
dominicb
Virgin

yeah i have got a 3 month warranty with them so they will be having it back but going to get my mechanic to look at it first, because i think they will just try and fob me off.

if anyone else knows what this could be please let me know.
Old 30-04-2012, 06:47 AM
dominicb
Virgin

still juddering/misfire they have took it back and changed the MAF sensor and they taking it back again today to change the egr valve on it see what happens after that.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
lvlark
Virgin

My mk 2 1.8 tdci ford focus has a similar problem. It will not start when the engine is cold takes about 15 turns of the key. Then when its running its fine and starts instantly while the engine is still warm. I have replaced the glow plugs but it has made no difference. Has your been sorted? If so what was the problem as i am lost
Old 02-08-2012, 06:25 AM
dominicb
Virgin

no never got it sorted my mechanic kept saying that it is either one of the injectors is the problem or the fuel pump.

the garage we got it off still could not fix it so i no longer have the car, sorry to say this but it has put me off fords now i know they are not all the same but just really had enough of it, and from what i was searching on the internet for the same problem seems like ford themselves know of the problem but they cant fix it either.