Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

2007 focus 1.8tdci fueling problem

Old 20-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Smyrk
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 focus 1.8tdci fueling problem

Hi a friend of mine has a 2007 focus 1.8tdci, when driving along at about 3000-3500 revs when you put your foot down it hesitates and holds back.

Its been on a snap on diagnostics scanner and was told its bringing up a feul pressure regulator valve fault but not flashing up the mil light.

We thought that this was the little silver disc type thing with a couple of pipes going too and from it.

Howevre when we rung up for a proce for the part we were told that it wasnt this and the part is £248!!!

So i was wondering if anyone has any experience with this thpe of problem and if someone could describe or even better had a picture or how to pf changing the fuel pressure regulator. Thanks in advance
Old 20-04-2012, 02:36 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you mean the fuel pump pressure compensator valve ?
Old 20-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Smyrk
Virgin

Originally Posted by uruk hai
Do you mean the fuel pump pressure compensator valve ?
Not sure mate, just got told pressure regulator valve
Old 20-04-2012, 05:14 PM
uruk hai

O.K, its also known as the fuel pump metering valve, it goes on the fuel pump and it takes about 10 minutes to fit. You need to remove the intercooler and a few other bits and pieces then you have to remove the main fuel pipe that goes to the fuel rail, (the bit with the pipes coming off it then onto the injectors) before you do this fold up a cloth and place it on the alternator as some of the fuel will come out and the cloth saves it from dripping down into the alt. Once you've done this if I remember correctly its just one bolt and an electrical plug, it should simply pull out then.

When you restart the car it will take a bit of cranking as the fuel has to get through the empty lines, I cranked mine for about 30 - 45 seconds before it started.

This is the part I'm thinking of, any good ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELPHI-FUEL-INJECTION-PUMP-INLET-METERING-VALVE-FOCUS-MONDEO-TRANSIT-TDCi-/270836388524

Here you go, the same part listed as a "Fuel pump pressure regulator" ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOCUS-MONDEO-TRANSIT-TDCi-FUEL-PUMP-PRESSURE-REGULATOR-ORIGINAL-EQUIPMENT-/250914474258?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item3a6bab0912

Last edited by uruk hai; 20-04-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 20-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Smyrk
Virgin

Well that's not the part we were lookin at but that's why I posted because I think we were looking at the wrong thing. The thing we were looking at looked like a little silver spaceship lol.

Does it sound like the part you've posted would fix the problem that she's been having? Jut don't want to waste the money of it doesn't sound like it woe cure it? Thanks for your help mate
Old 21-04-2012, 07:31 AM
uruk hai

To be honest its a bit difficult to say if that would be the fix or not ? If possible drive the car round for a few days as it is and then try to see if the same fault is logged again, if it is then obviously look deeper into that particular problem

I had a problem with mine and this is my experience, car starts fine but some times as soon as I move off I can feel something’s not quite right, car is very sluggish and the throttle has to be pushed down considerably further than usual to get it to pick up ? Once I’m moving the car drives fine if a bit unresponsive, then without warning and with no further movement of the throttle the car will start to pick up and gain speed up to a certain point. From now on the car will drive and accelerate as it should but only up to about 3200 – 3500 rpm, from this point on it feels as though the car is wading through custard and it creeps (and I mean creeps !) toward the red line. Once another gear is selected the same thing happens and it again only revs freely to the above figures.

When it was first connected to a diagnostic it flagged up a code for the MAF so I swapped mine with a known good one and it turned out not to be that. A mate of mine knows these things inside out so he suggested it could either be the fuel pump metering valve or the turbo control solenoid ? Changed the fuel pump metering valve and it wasn't that either so I changed the solenoid and the difference was instant, car drives better, pulls well again and to my pleasant surprise is better on fuel. The thing that struck me is that a few problems will not trigger a light on the dash or flag up a fault code and I think that’s because in my case it was related to vacuum pressure (or lack of ?).

The other possibility is that the EGR has become blocked or stuck, how does the owner drive the car ? If the car is driven very carefully and slowly, never on full throttle or revved through the whole range then the EGR will become blocked up and eventually it won't move which will cause loss of power and hesitation through the rev range. When I bought mine I wouldn't rev past 3K but several good long raggings soon sorted it out.

If you could it would really help if you knew someone with the same engine so you could swap some of the parts with known working ones, if nothing else it will allow you to eliminate various parts so you will at least be able to narrow it down without spending a fortune on parts you may not need.

Last edited by uruk hai; 21-04-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 21-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Smyrk
Virgin

Im in bridlington east yorkshire mate. Yeah would be good ill have an ask about to see if i can find anyone with same engine, is it the the same engine in the connect van? Thanks for your replies mate really helpful
Old 21-04-2012, 10:31 AM
uruk hai

Originally Posted by Smyrk
Im in bridlington east yorkshire mate. Yeah would be good ill have an ask about to see if i can find anyone with same engine, is it the the same engine in the connect van? Thanks for your replies mate really helpful

Your welcome, it could the same as the connect but the best way to be sure is to compare as much as you can about them although I think most of the 1.8 TDCI's are very similar if not the same.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Jordy4893
Virgin

Default Problem solver!! Change your fuel filter!!

I had this problem a couple of weeks back!

When i was boosting the car once hitting around 3250 revs, the car was having none of it!

If i never boosted the car and lightly went to high revs i could red line the car, so it was only when i was boosting it that this happened!

Plugged the car into diagnostics, result was fuel pressure regulator, straight away i knew there wasnt enough fuel getting supplied for more power!

First thing you would start by checking was the fuel filter, as soon as i looked at the filter it was just black so it needed changing anyways, bought a new filter, fitted it, tested the car and it flew straight over 3250 revs!

Dont take it to a garage! They will just tell a load of lies, change the fuel filter and your problem will be fixed! £ 35.00 max for a filter and it could save you hundreds, also you wont see black smoke when boosting anymore!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Smyrk
Virgin

Alrigh mate ya should of posted at the te but I
Changed the fuel filter, £17 (from local motor
Factors iirc) and as you say mate sorted the problem straight away