Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

2005 Mark 2 Focus TDCi Clutch/Flywheel Replacement

Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 PM
-AJ
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Mark 2 Focus TDCi Clutch/Flywheel Replacement

Hi guys,

I am hoping one of you can help me I'm going to HAVE (due to monetary constraints) to do this job myself reluctantly. However I am at a stage where if I don't, the flywheel is going to fly off! Sitting in the cat at idle is like sitting in a cart with no suspension on a cobbled road.

So I've got my new DMF and Clutch on it's way - but it's not a job i've tackled before, especially for this car.

So first question is - has anybody done it, and is it difficult? It's the 1.8 TDCi and I'm going to be doing it on the floor with Axle stands jacks and such!

Question 1 - Does anybody know the require torques for the flywheel, clutch, and wheel hubs when refitting the whole lot?

Question 2 - Does anybody know if there is a subframe that has to come off? And if there is anything I'll have to remove that is going to be a pig and or difficult for an amateur like myself?

Question 3 - Are there any special tools I'll need? I've been told I'd need a clutch alignment tool by some - but others have suggested that I can use a pipe or wrench with tape wrapped around to the correct bore - what do you think?

Question 4 - Gearbox - Do I need to drain the oil? And is it massively heavy for me to remove it?! And will I need to support the engine from above whilst doing so? I'm assuming so. If so is it something that can be done with a standard engine hoist, or will that get in my way?

I will stress as well this is a bit of a 'temporary' fix. I know this is bad for something so expensive and difficult to change, but since i'm unemployed and needing my car for a new job i've applied for, I've had to get the flywheel and clutch from a breakers. The car has half the milage of mine so hopefully it'll last at least a couple of months

Any help, tips and advice would be REALLY appreciated. I can see myself getting very annoyed with this whole job - And I am setting aside 3 whole days for it. Hopefully that'll be enough.

Cheers