Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

diesel adative

Search this Thread

Old 29-12-2011, 03:53 PM
oval
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel adative

what are your opinions on these have you found them to work or make any difference has anyone heard of any problems with the newer diesels with dpfs having used them
Old 29-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Best additive for any diesel is two stroke oil. Your looking for a low ash miniral based oil.
Best stuff I could find off the shelf was Castrol Actevo 2T for mopeds.
I always added 250mls to a full tank of diesel. The two stroke forms and emulsion with the diesel, helps keep all the pumps and injectors lubricated, ups the cetane rating for a cleaner burn, cleans everything out and keeps them clean! The engine will also run smoother, quieter, smoke less, performance should be up a little and should improve fuel economy.

Used to run it on my old clattery 1.9TD 406 which is an indirectly injected engine with a mechanical fuel pump. With a little two stroke it was quiter than my Uncles 406 2.0 HDi which is a commonrail directly injected engine!

If you don't like the thought of two stroke the only other additive I really liked was Millers Ecomax which you can buy from most motofactors or halfords. Usually around £10 for a 500ml bottle. You add it at 1:1000 or 1:500 for an extra 'boost'.
Works out at 1ml per litre or 2ml per litre!

Oh and make sure you put the additive in BEFORE any fuel goes in the tank. Otherwise it wont make it to the tank and will just sit on the sides of the filler neck!

Last edited by Bailes1992; 29-12-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 29-12-2011, 05:32 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oval
what are your opinions on these have you found them to work or make any difference has anyone heard of any problems with the newer diesels with dpfs having used them
After trying several against the advice of someone who knows diesel's inside out I have come to the conclusion that for me at least they are a waste of money !
Old 30-12-2011, 02:51 PM
oval
Virgin

thanks for replies some people are swearing buy then some saying they are a con i guess have to try and see if you notice any difference anyone seen any tests reports anywhere either for or against
Old 02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
uruk hai

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oval
thanks for replies some people are swearing buy then some saying they are a con i guess have to try and see if you notice any difference anyone seen any tests reports anywhere either for or against
The thing I found is that some people will say "when you fill up put a bottle of what ever in the tank and then give the car a good ragging", what I have found is that it is the ragging that helps and not always product x, y or z !

An "Italian tune up" did my car more good than any product I put through it and some of them weren't cheep !
Old 26-02-2012, 08:08 PM
langer

Mineral based 2stroke oil is by far the best additive it's advised on every forum you go on And my connect and discovery use it every fill up with excellent qualities